This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Zinc Deficiency

tiredandwired

tiredandwired Newbie

i've been taking quite a bit of zinc for the past 3 weeks along with hcl so it can be absorbed better, but I still can't taste anything on the zinc tally test. I've been off of gluten for a year and have been taking glutamine for my digestive system, but it seems like im not absorbing much of the zinc i take, what can i do?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Are you taking zinc sublingually? As I understand it, zince is best absorbed in our mouths.

cavernio Enthusiast

Zinc competes with magnesium (and iron) for absorption, so overdoing the zinc, even if you are still deficient in it, could screw up your body even more if you are also deficient in iron or magnesium. You probably know all about iron deficiency, but magnesium deficiency isn't nearly as well known, and is also, apparently, being discovered as a potential issue that wasn't really known of before. Also, even if you got your blood magnesium levels tested and they were fine, apparently the blood isn't a great measure of it. A lot of symptoms for these things overlap too. I suggest a few google hours reading about magnesium if you haven't before.

I'm not sure the tasting test is very reliable, if it's the same one that I recall hearing about. It's certainly not something standard medicine recognizes.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

davidwilly045
    Newest Member
    davidwilly045
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Aussienae
      Mine is definitely triggered by inflammation and stress! I do also have arthritis in my spine, but the pain is more in my pelvic area. Im sure i have other food intolerances or other autoimmune isues but the more I focus on it and see doctor after doctor, it just gets worse.  Best thing is get of Gluten! (I also avoid lactose). Try to limit stress and anything that causes inflammation in your body.
    • ButWhatCanIEat
      Good morning,   I got an email about replies to this post. Some of my doctors had blamed a slipped disc for the pain I had and that contributes, but after meeting with a gastroenterologist AGAIN and trying some lifestyle modifications, I found out I have IBS and can't tolerate corn or excessive fructose to any degree. Cutting out corn AFTER having cut out all gluten containing products was a real pain but I feel much better now!
    • trents
      So, I contacted Scott Adams, the author of that article and also the creator/admin of this website, and pointed out to him the need to clarify the information in the paragraph in question. He has now updated the paragraph and it is clear that the DGP-IGA does serve the purpose of circumventing the false negatives that IGA deficiencies can generate in the tTG-IGA antibody test.
    • knitty kitty
      Here's a link... Thiamine Deficiency Causes Intracellular Potassium Wasting https://www.hormonesmatter.com/thiamine-deficiency-causes-intracellular-potassium-wasting/
    • Soleihey
      Has anyone experimenced enlarged lymph nodes with celiac? Both in the neck and groin area. Imaging of both areas have said that lymph nodes are reactive in nature. However, they have been present for months and just wondering how long this may take to go down. Been gluten-free for about two months. Blood counts are normal.