This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nervous About Biopsy + Thoughts On Doctor

millasmommy

millasmommy Newbie

This is my first post.  My DD is 5 and goes in for her biopsy tomorrow.  We are extremely nervous and wondering why we are even doing this considering she responded very well to having gluten removed for a week when her blood test came back positive.  She only tested positive to 1 of the 4 tests, however her Vitamin D levels were very low and she has a lot of joint pain, so they recommended the biopsy in order to know what we are dealing with.

Dr. Dan Thomas is performing the procedure at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.  He is the Chief of the GI department.  Does anyone have any experience with him or the CHLA team?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I had the biopsy done. Its really no big deal. :) She probably won't remember anything. All i remember is getting an IV done (and the nurse showing me how deep my veins were on the ultrasound machine due to being unable to find them easily), then being wheeled into the room where it was going to be done. The last thing i remember was becoming really dizzy and the next thing i knew i was back in the room i started in.

If he is the head of that department, I wouldn't be worried. :)

StephanieL Enthusiast

Hugs. It was so hard when my now 6 yo had it done. It's never a "simple procedure" when it's your kid!!

If you want a firm diagnosis you NEED this or the Dr. to say "100% yes!".  Having the dx will help if/when you need accommodations for school and stuff. So no, it isn't fun. She most likely won't remember it and you'll have the info you need.  Stay strong. Be ready to cry AFTER she's out (I went with DS into the OR suite).  It sucks and you will both get through it!

And more hugs!!!

Aprilelayne Newbie

Its hard, anytime anesthesia is involved for our little ones!

But yes, do it now while she's young and you can get solid documentation to move forward.

Having the chief as her doctor would make me feel more confident.

Good luck today! And all the best thoughts for your daughter.

millasmommy Newbie

Thanks for the replies.  CHLA was amazing.  She didn't shed one tear the entire time and they made us all feel very comfortable.  She was in and out in a flash and all was well!

They did find some indication while doing the upper endoscopy that showed possible signs of Eosinophilic Esophagitis, which I think makes me more nervous than the Celiac.  Now we just wait for Pathology.

Archived