• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
BZBee

Anemia/vitamin Deficiency Surprise

Rate this topic

I was feeling really good after a week of bed rest and massive vitamin intake. Then, I returned to work last week and all that energy depleted. I feel like I'm back at square one. I gave up trying to focus so I went to bed to lay down. Moderate muscle and bone aches, brain fog, and extreme exhaustion. I know I didn't have any gluten so I think I'm doing more than I should at this point. This is the part I hate the most! How long did it take before you started feeling semi-normal?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Work didn't happen today, :-( the pain got worse especially in my legs and feet. I thought my feet were going to break when I stood up. Ugh! I hate Celiac Disease!

I'm sorry. I am 5 months in and still learning. It's a process of learning and adjustment. Learn, adjust, learn, adjust, learn, adjust. I've had to forgive myself for not rising to my level of expectations and then forgive myself for having too high of expectations. Many veterans here feel very good and it took quite a few of them a long time. One person on here who was 3 1/2 months in posted her doctor's response and that helped me to adjust my expectations: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/100497-your-bowels-are-like-berlin-post-war/?hl=%2Bberlin#entry858877

I'm about to dig into the Paleo diet. So far, I'm sensitive to gluten, nuts, dairy, corn & soy. If I had it to do all over again, I would have started with the elimination diet (or Paleo) from the git-go. I am where I am though and my husband says he sees positive changes from an observer's point of view.

Hang in there and go easy on yourself.

Cali

Yes, trial and error! I'm sticking to fresh vegetables, fruit and beans for the time being. It's easier to drink my meals than eat them. I manage one solid meal a day. I remain optimistic :-)

I have suffered with colon problems all my life. I get very sick and end up with diarrhea. I now am deficient in Vit B12, Vit D and have been iron deficient anemia. It was so severe they was going to give me blood transfusions, but I opted for the iron infusion.

I have had the blood test ran for Celiac's and it came back negative. I'm going to go gluten free to see if that helps.

This is awful to have because when you have the attacks you are restricted to home close to the bathroom and wears me out.

Ads by Google:

it can take some time before you feel great, but i suspect you'll start feeling better a little at a time. You mentioned taking vitamins, one thing we learned is that deficiency of B vitamins is common & can be related to some of your symptoms, but can be really hard for the intestines to absorb..we found that B vitamins in disolvable tablet forms work, they disolve under your tongue and get absorbed right away. Also, be sure your vitamins are gluten-free too, many are not!