This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh I Got Very Sick

pixiegirl

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I've been on this list for a long time but life has been very crazy (both good and bad) and I've been gluten-free for a long long time now so "mostly" I have it down pat.

Last night I had made a salad for dinner.  It was made with bagged lettuce.  A variety of cut up veggies.  I cooked a plain chicken breast and put some McCormick "new" Southwest Seasonings blend on the chicken.  For a salad dressing I used Hidden Valley Ranch.

The salad dressing says Gluten free right on the label.  I've never had a problem with McCormick spices (but I don't usually use blends either) and the label looks fine on this one.

Immediately after I ate the salad I started getting sick with classic (for me at any rate) symptoms, gassy, pain, slightly dizzy, runs.  6 hours after dinner I was still having the runs (sorry for being graphic).  I woke up this morning ok but slow, physically and mentally.

I guess the question here is has anyone had any problems with any of these products?  Could the bagged salad have been bad, these symptoms are not unlike food poisoning either (but I think that usually comes with barfing and I didn't do that)?

I'm ready to throw out the salad dressing and spice because I'm afraid to eat them again, I hate getting glutened.  So I guess before I do toss them I'm trying to figure out if there was another reason for getting sick.

I'd like to add that my entire house is gluten-free and has been for ages.  None of my cooking things, cutting boards or knives have been used with gluten.  So I don't believe it has anything to do with cross contamination.

Thanks for any insight or ideas.

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I just checked out McCormick's website and I must say, they have a very user UNfriendly site. It's mostly recipes and not a lot of info. There is no FAQ, and when I typed gluten into their searchbox it cam up empty.

That being said, I know that seasonings MAY contain gluten. It gives a list of spices that are in it, but doesn't mention anything else. I suppose you could write or call them to find out.

Hidden Valley? I don't know. I can't use any salad dressings because they all contain either corn or soy, both of which I am intolerant to. But if it says gluten-free, it might truly BE gluten-free. (I know some products wearing that label are not.)

Maybe it was the lettuce? Lettuce has been known to have e. coli. Not sure if vomiting is always one of the symptoms. But if everybody else ate it and you are the only one who got sick that's probably not it.

I would say it is probably either the seasoning or maybe just that stomach bug that has been going aroud.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I thought about the lettuce too... it looked fresh but who knows.  I'm leaning toward the seasoning.   Thanks for your thoughts!  :)

Adalaide Mentor

The McCormick spices and seasonings should be fine. I have yet to find a McCormick seasoning that does contain gluten and their labeling policy keeps there from being an issue. If it has gluten, it will be clearly disclosed on the label. You'll find that not only me, but a fair number of people may chime in saying the same thing. I have seen many people say over and over that they trust McCormick and they are my go to brand.

Open Original Shared Link

I can't speak for the dressing at all as it has ingredients that keep me from being able to have it. (Which has nothing to do with gluten.) I do know that before these things became an issue I heard they were going to begin labeling things gluten free. 

If your house isn't gluten free the issue could be entirely unrelated to what you ate and instead be a CC issue.

Colleeney Apprentice

Actually I learned all McCormick spices are gluten free except some of their blends so I've been creating my own blends. They usually mark very clearly if there is gluten which is why I only use McCormick. That said I too have questioned the packaged salads. There's no proof but I wonder if they do something to try to protect freshness. I feel for you as I sit with my heating pad as the stuffed leg of lamb the Whole Foods butcher assured me was gluten free......NOT. Sigh,

The McCormick spices and seasonings should be fine. I have yet to find a McCormick seasoning that does contain gluten and their labeling policy keeps there from being an issue. If it has gluten, it will be clearly disclosed on the label. You'll find that not only me, but a fair number of people may chime in saying the same thing. I have seen many people say over and over that they trust McCormick and they are my go to brand.

I can't speak for the dressing at all as it has ingredients that keep me from being able to have it. (Which has nothing to do with gluten.) I do know that before these things became an issue I heard they were going to begin labeling things gluten free. 

If your house isn't gluten free the issue could be entirely unrelated to what you ate and instead be a CC issue.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Ugh, I feel for you with the leg of lamb thing.  Stuffed don't do it.   I got better fairly quickly so I am leaning away from food poisoning. I think it has a longer sick time then what I had.  And usually with gluten I get sick for days, unless the dose was super tiny.  I was still funky yesterday and feel a little mentally out of it today but... I still felt better then I usually do with a glutening.  So maybe it was the spice... and I just got a little bit of gluten.  I'm giving it away to a friend so I'm not going to try it again to find out.

My gluten hangover cure starts as soon as I know I've been glutened.  I start by drink a lot of water.  I take a couple of probiotic pills right away.  Then I have very high fat vanilla ice cream.  Don't ask me why but something about the cold and I feel like the high fat content does something to my insides that not only makes me feel better but shortens the amount of time I feel better.  (or maybe it's my excuse to eat ice cream).  More water until I go to sleep, 2 more probiotics (the dosage is 1 per day but I've been told they can't hurt  you). 

Oh and someone said it could be CC.  My house is totally gluten-free including my dog's food.  This is a new house for me, (I've been here 5 months). First I had a cleaning company come in and totally scrub it down, I directed them in the kitchen.  Then the next day I did the kitchen again.  I've not had any problems with any CC since I've been here.  None of my pots, pans, crock pot, utensils have ever been used with gluten.

Next morning I do the same thing, water, probiotics, ice cream and toast.  For me this really does shorten my sick time.  Thanks for the info, I wish I knew for sure.

Susan

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Could there by MSG in the seasoning blend?  My mom reacts very strongly to MSG, and in some ways it mimics a glutening (though shorter term).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I can't speak for that specific seasoning blend, but can say none of the ones I use have MSG. I can say nearly for certain though that the dressing has it. Almost every dressing on the market has MSG in it, and that one does for sure. I do also see a fair number of people saying they get gluten type symptoms from MSG.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Really?  Gluten symptoms with MSG... interesting.  is MSG contaminated with gluten or what?  I know a lot of people have very serious sensitivities to MSG.  I have always tried to buy food without it  but I've never really noticed a problem before.  I'll have to pay closer attention.  Thanks!

Aprilelayne Newbie

Not celiac or gluten related, but it sounds very similar to my reactions to bagged salads.

I have chalked it up to it being the preservative they use to maintain freshness inside the bags that I react so strongly to.

I can chop a head of lettuce or use romaine leaves/spring mixes or what not without any problems. But the bagged 'fresh express' or pre-rinsed ready-to-go type  bags will get me everytime.  Its the same with most fast-food type packaged salads.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Hmmmm very interesting I'll have to keep an eye on this.  It's always something!    :unsure:

bartfull Rising Star

Do you have any trouble with corn? I ask because most bagged salads are washed in a citrus wash, and that citrus comes from corn.

Adalaide Mentor

The MSG thing has nothing to do with being gluten contaminated or gluten anything. It also isn't restricted to the gluten free community. It isn't out of the ordinary at all for MSG to make people sick in a variety of ways, just one more thing to look out for. As celiacs and the gluten intolerant there is a tendency to automatically assume when we get sick that the culprit was gluten, but this is not always the case, not even when the symptoms seem similar.

bartfull Rising Star

I just looked up "vegetable wash". I found only one for "industrial" uses. The site willnot disclose the ingredients but it sounds pretty scary to me. It can disolve oild and waxes, it is not to be taken internally, and the container must be disposed of properly.

• 2 months later...
SBlack Rookie

I have a question regarding this topic.  Last night I made a salad with bagged lettuce - and got pretty sick.  Pain in my stomach, reflux, very nauseas - for most of the night.  I used Italian Wish-bone dressing, which says right on it that it's gluten free.  Would it be the lettuce?  I have used the bagged lettuce before and have felt a little sick after I ate it but last night I opened a new bag.  Anyone else have this problem?? 

Thank you!

SBlack

kareng Grand Master

I have a question regarding this topic.  Last night I made a salad with bagged lettuce - and got pretty sick.  Pain in my stomach, reflux, very nauseas - for most of the night.  I used Italian Wish-bone dressing, which says right on it that it's gluten free.  Would it be the lettuce?  I have used the bagged lettuce before and have felt a little sick after I ate it but last night I opened a new bag.  Anyone else have this problem?? 

Thank you!

SBlack

I use the packaged lettuces often.  When I first went gluten-free, I had a hard time digesting with some of the raw "lettuces" and spinach.  I can eat them now.

Adalaide Mentor

It is possible that a particular type of lettuce in a salad blend doesn't agree with you. Or that something in the dressing doesn't agree with you. It is also possible (even though it is a rare occurrence with how many are sold every day) that bagged salads could be contaminated with some sort of bacteria. I eat bagged salads without concern, I have no desire to wash and dry my own lettuce as a general rule. I already spend a lot of time on food prep and cooking and if I can save time there I will. I'm not worried about getting sick from one of the rare listeria or e. coli outbreaks or something from my salad.

CommonTater Contributor

I hope you recoup soon, I know how bad it is when we get glutened.

bartfull Rising Star

I haven't had a salad in two years. Of course I won't eat one in a restaurant for fear of CC, and I can't eat bagged salads because of the corn-based citrus wash they use. Living alone, it is a waste to buy a whole head of lettuce that I can't use up before it goes bad.

When I first started (before the corn intolerance hit me), salads gave me D. I'm not sure if it was CC, corn, or just that my system couldn't handle them back then. I suspect the latter, but who knows? Maybe someday I can find someone who will split salad ingredients with me and I can find out.

GFinDC Veteran

I haven't had a salad in two years. Of course I won't eat one in a restaurant for fear of CC, and I can't eat bagged salads because of the corn-based citrus wash they use. Living alone, it is a waste to buy a whole head of lettuce that I can't use up before it goes bad.

When I first started (before the corn intolerance hit me), salads gave me D. I'm not sure if it was CC, corn, or just that my system couldn't handle them back then. I suspect the latter, but who knows? Maybe someday I can find someone who will split salad ingredients with me and I can find out.

People getting sick from eating salad greens is in the news fairly often it seems to me.  Not people with celiac disease, but just people in general.  There have been repeated instances of contamination of vegetables making people sick.  I don't know if that's what happened of course, but it wouldn't be a big surprise.  This consumer reports story is a couple years old, but it points out the problems.

What you can do
  • Buy packages as far from their use-by date as you can find.
  • Even if the bag says "prewashed" or "triple-washed," wash the greens yourself. Rinsing won't remove all bacteria but may remove residual soil.
  • Prevent cross contamination by keeping greens away from raw meat. For more information, go to Open Original Shared Link.

@Bartful,

I am trying to understand your concern about a citrus wash.  Citrus is fruit.  Things like those orange power cleaners and so on are made with citrus.  Are you saying they add some form of corn based product to the citrus wash?  That is very possible of course, but it doesn't mean the corn is citrus.  Citrus doesn't come from corn.  Corn is not fruit, it is a grain.  Sorry if I am misunderstanding.  It wouldn't be the first time I did that! :)

CommonTater Contributor

I only buy organic and I put a little vinegar in a bowl with water to wash it, then i rinse it good and use my spinner. I never get sick doing this.

bartfull Rising Star

"I am trying to understand your concern about a citrus wash. Citrus is fruit. Things like those orange power cleaners and so on are made with citrus. Are you saying they add some form of corn based product to the citrus wash? That is very possible of course, but it doesn't mean the corn is citrus. Citrus doesn't come from corn. Corn is not fruit, it is a grain. Sorry if I am misunderstanding. It wouldn't be the first time I did that! :)"

Actually, citrus CAN and usually IS derived from corn. :angry: It is much cheaper than citrus fruit, so usually that is what they use. I even checked the ingredients list of the veggie wash they sell at my local grocery store and "ascorbic acid derived from corn" is one of the first ingredients listed. That's why I have to be so careful when reading labels. Not only do I have to look for "the usual suspects", but I have to look for things that MAY be derived from corn. And believe me, a LOT of things you would never suspect are corn based. And because corn is not one of the big eight, they don't have to tell you. I just assume corn until I contact the company and find out for sure.

Brandiwine Contributor

I do this with greens some times too. Then I start asking myself if I'm going to end up with a problem to everything and starve!!!!!

Did you rinse the lettuce first? Maybe it's some spray they use on it....

tarnalberry Community Regular

@Bartful,

I am trying to understand your concern about a citrus wash.  Citrus is fruit.  Things like those orange power cleaners and so on are made with citrus.  Are you saying they add some form of corn based product to the citrus wash?  That is very possible of course, but it doesn't mean the corn is citrus.  Citrus doesn't come from corn.  Corn is not fruit, it is a grain.  Sorry if I am misunderstanding.  It wouldn't be the first time I did that! :)

I think maybe calling it a citrus wash is misleading (albeit unintentionally, of course).  As Barful explained later, lots of things have ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in them.  Most of these are not derived from citrus fruits at all, but corn.  I don't know what makes corn such a great thing to produce vitamin C from, but apparently, given our crazy food machine, it is.

GFinDC Veteran

"I am trying to understand your concern about a citrus wash. Citrus is fruit. Things like those orange power cleaners and so on are made with citrus. Are you saying they add some form of corn based product to the citrus wash? That is very possible of course, but it doesn't mean the corn is citrus. Citrus doesn't come from corn. Corn is not fruit, it is a grain. Sorry if I am misunderstanding. It wouldn't be the first time I did that! :)"

Actually, citrus CAN and usually IS derived from corn. :angry: It is much cheaper than citrus fruit, so usually that is what they use. I even checked the ingredients list of the veggie wash they sell at my local grocery store and "ascorbic acid derived from corn" is one of the first ingredients listed. That's why I have to be so careful when reading labels. Not only do I have to look for "the usual suspects", but I have to look for things that MAY be derived from corn. And believe me, a LOT of things you would never suspect are corn based. And because corn is not one of the big eight, they don't have to tell you. I just assume corn until I contact the company and find out for sure.

OK, I think we are just using different words.  You are saying citrus is derived from corn.  What I think you mean to say is ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is derived from corn.  That makes sense, since vitamin C can be processed from glucose.  Per the all-knowing Wiki that is.

I think maybe calling it a citrus wash is misleading (albeit unintentionally, of course).  As Barful explained later, lots of things have ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in them.  Most of these are not derived from citrus fruits at all, but corn.  I don't know what makes corn such a great thing to produce vitamin C from, but apparently, given our crazy food machine, it is.

Agree, I think you are right TB.  I guess it's the abundance of corn that makes it a cheap source of glucose to make vitamin C from.

Archived