This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh I Got Very Sick

pixiegirl

bartfull Rising Star

You're right again, G F in DC (aka "Fartypants. :lol: ). I should have said citric ACID rather than citrus. Can I blame it on persistant brain fog? How about "not enough coffee"? Actually it's both, and it's chronic. :blink:  :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SBlack Rookie

ok everyone - thank you for your responses regarding the bagged lettuce.  I see here about the corn/citris wash - what's funny is that I am one who cannot tolerate corn - I got very sick eating it a few weeks ago. 

I want to make coleslaw for dinner and bought a bag of Dole classic coleslaw - it says preservative free and all natural.  Has anyone had trouble with the coleslaw before?  I bought it before I ate the bagged lettuce on Friday or else I would have just bought a head of cabbage...suggestions??

THANK YOU!!!!!

SBlack

bartfull Rising Star

I just looked it up on their website. It says it is "pre-washed", but of course unless something is one of the top eight allergens, they don't have to mention that it was used in processing. Corn is not one of the top eight, and "washing" is considered part of processing. Therefore they don't have to tell you WHAT they washed it with. Odds are though that they used a citric acid wash, and that wash was most likely corn based. I would give that bag away and buy a head of cabbage.

GFinDC Veteran

You're right again, G F in DC (aka "Fartypants. :lol: ). I should have said citric ACID rather than citrus. Can I blame it on persistant brain fog? How about "not enough coffee"? Actually it's both, and it's chronic. :blink:  :lol:

Ah yes, those poor little brain frogs, they always get the blame!  :D  Now coffee, that's just brain frog fertilizer if you ask me. :)

Maybe some creatine will scare them away?

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/102374-creatine-for-vegans-and-vegetarians/

bartfull Rising Star

Thanks, G F! I didn't read that thread because I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. But I DO still have a lot of brain fog. I'd be willing to bet I am vitamin deficient though. I can't find vitamins without SOMETHING in them that I can't have. I do know that before all the secondary intolerances hit I was taking a multi, plus lots of B12 and biotin. For a short time there I felt YOUNG!! My head was clearer than it's been since I was about 12, and I had SO much energy. I sure wish I could get back to that.

As it is, I am eating a sweet potato every day for the vitamins, some cheese (and ice cream) for calcium and a little bit of vitamin D, meat (usually chicken, but sometimes bison) for the B12, and eggs on occasion for the biotin. I know it's not enough. My head is getting foggier by the minute. A couple of weeks ago one of my "regulars" came into the shop and I mistook him for a former student whom I hadn't seen in a couple of years. I almost asked him how his wife was doing, but I couldn't remember her name. (It was a good thing!)  It wasn't until the guy had been there half an hour and shared some coffee with me that I finally realized it was Cliff and not Brent. Yeah, they Do look a bit alike, but I should have known! It really scared me.

GFinDC Veteran

Thanks, G F! I didn't read that thread because I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. But I DO still have a lot of brain fog. I'd be willing to bet I am vitamin deficient though. I can't find vitamins without SOMETHING in them that I can't have. I do know that before all the secondary intolerances hit I was taking a multi, plus lots of B12 and biotin. For a short time there I felt YOUNG!! My head was clearer than it's been since I was about 12, and I had SO much energy. I sure wish I could get back to that.

As it is, I am eating a sweet potato every day for the vitamins, some cheese (and ice cream) for calcium and a little bit of vitamin D, meat (usually chicken, but sometimes bison) for the B12, and eggs on occasion for the biotin. I know it's not enough. My head is getting foggier by the minute. A couple of weeks ago one of my "regulars" came into the shop and I mistook him for a former student whom I hadn't seen in a couple of years. I almost asked him how his wife was doing, but I couldn't remember her name. (It was a good thing!)  It wasn't until the guy had been there half an hour and shared some coffee with me that I finally realized it was Cliff and not Brent. Yeah, they Do look a bit alike, but I should have known! It really scared me.

Dang, I wonder if it's too late to change thread title to "creatine for vegetarians, vegans, and Bartful"?  Then maybe you'd read it eh?  I am not a vegetarian myself.  I was for 5 years pretty much kinda though. But no more.  Anyhow, the stuff helps me feel better and more alert, so that's why I pointed you at the thread.  Maybe you are feeding you brain frogs too much of something that makes them grow or hyperactive though.  Any food can be a problem after all, or even vitamin pills or meds.  So it is not a bad idea to try eliminating some things for a bit.  Sometimes reactions on restarting a food are delayed and build up over time.  So they may net be noticed right away.  So it may help to kind of re-do your elimination diet just in case.  Sometimes brain frogs can adapt to new foods and get hyperactive when they eat them a lot.  Yep, that's the story. :)  Got a link for it somewhere here.  Just wait few centuries and I 'll find it...

@Sblack,

Sorry for the sidetracking and sillyness in your thread.  I think you have figured out that those packaged salads are kind of  crap shot at times.  They should be washed at home before eating I suppose.

SBlack Rookie

Dang, I wonder if it's too late to change thread title to "creatine for vegetarians, vegans, and Bartful"?  Then maybe you'd read it eh?  I am not a vegetarian myself.  I was for 5 years pretty much kinda though. But no more.  Anyhow, the stuff helps me feel better and more alert, so that's why I pointed you at the thread.  Maybe you are feeding you brain frogs too much of something that makes them grow or hyperactive though.  Any food can be a problem after all, or even vitamin pills or meds.  So it is not a bad idea to try eliminating some things for a bit.  Sometimes reactions on restarting a food are delayed and build up over time.  So they may net be noticed right away.  So it may help to kind of re-do your elimination diet just in case.  Sometimes brain frogs can adapt to new foods and get hyperactive when they eat them a lot.  Yep, that's the story. :)  Got a link for it somewhere here.  Just wait few centuries and I 'll find it...

@Sblack,

Sorry for the sidetracking and sillyness in your thread.  I think you have figured out that those packaged salads are kind of  crap shot at times.  They should be washed at home before eating I suppose.

NO problem!!!!  thank you for all your help.  I am NOT even going to bother buying the packaged lettuce OR cabbage.  Been bitten too many times, and man do I get sick.  I did buy some fresh non-packaged lettuce the other day, washed it myself and oh my goodness - best salad EVER!! :)   

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived