This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Insane? (Trying To Explain Gluten Sensitivity And My Psychological Symptoms To Non-Sufferers)

Kates77

Kates77 Rookie

The majority of my symptoms are psychological: depression, stress, anxiety, mood swings, cravings, obsessive thinking about food, binge eating etc.

I also experience digestive issues like diarrhea, constipation, malabsorption, bloating, excess gas and other physical issues like horrible acne, fatigue and weak joints.

But my most severe issues (depression/mood swings/food obsession and cravings) are psychological. This makes it extremely difficult for me, when I am trying to explain the connection between gluten sensitivity and my brain, to non-sufferers that just cannot comprehend how diet can impact the way we think.

If I was a non-sufferer, I would have trouble believing it as well! But the dramatic change that my whole personality underwent when I went gluten free was just so life changing that I am so convinced in the power of food as something that can both heal and harm. I guess I'm just in need of a bit of support from other people that also get psychological symptoms, and how a gluten free diet has dramatically improved their mental health.

Everyone seems to think I'm absolutely insane, and it is just so exhausting trying to explain all of my issues and the link to gluten, without sounding like a nut job.

I am currently eating gluten because I am going to get my blood test and endoscopy next Friday, and I find myself praying that I have Celiac Disease, because at least then the connection between my symptoms and gluten would be more concrete. I can't believe that I find myself hoping that my intestines are damaged just so that people will believe me!

I would appreciate any comments/advice! x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MIgrainePosterChild Newbie

The majority of my symptoms are psychological: depression, stress, anxiety, mood swings, cravings, obsessive thinking about food, binge eating etc.

I also experience digestive issues like diarrhea, constipation, malabsorption, bloating, excess gas and other physical issues like horrible acne, fatigue and weak joints.

But my most severe issues (depression/mood swings/food obsession and cravings) are psychological. This makes it extremely difficult for me, when I am trying to explain the connection between gluten sensitivity and my brain, to non-sufferers that just cannot comprehend how diet can impact the way we think.

If I was a non-sufferer, I would have trouble believing it as well! But the dramatic change that my whole personality underwent when I went gluten free was just so life changing that I am so convinced in the power of food as something that can both heal and harm. I guess I'm just in need of a bit of support from other people that also get psychological symptoms, and how a gluten free diet has dramatically improved their mental health.

Everyone seems to think I'm absolutely insane, and it is just so exhausting trying to explain all of my issues and the link to gluten, without sounding like a nut job.

I am currently eating gluten because I am going to get my blood test and endoscopy next Friday, and I find myself praying that I have Celiac Disease, because at least then the connection between my symptoms and gluten would be more concrete. I can't believe that I find myself hoping that my intestines are damaged just so that people will believe me!

I can completely relate to this. When I try to explain to my doctor that I am certain I have malabsorption, she looks at me like I'm crazy. I try to explain my feelings of derpersonalization and she recommends I should see a psychiatrist, but I know what I am experiencing is tied in with my constipation, flatulence, acid reflux, etc and the most likely cause is Gluten. I don't think you're crazy and I hope you figure it all out. I am now looking into possibly IV therapy through a natural health clinic because they did list malabsorption, depression, anxiety, fatigue and chronic stress in the list of treatable afflictions.  

tarnalberry Community Regular

I wouldn't go into it trying to explain to anyone but your doctor(s).  You can say "it keeps me from thinking clearly", but I won't go into a lot more detail than that.  They won't understand, or relate.  And it doesn't really matter if they do, as long as they respect your choice to be gluten free.

Kates77 Rookie

I can completely relate to this. When I try to explain to my doctor that I am certain I have malabsorption, she looks at me like I'm crazy. I try to explain my feelings of derpersonalization and she recommends I should see a psychiatrist, but I know what I am experiencing is tied in with my constipation, flatulence, acid reflux, etc and the most likely cause is Gluten. I don't think you're crazy and I hope you figure it all out. I am now looking into possibly IV therapy through a natural health clinic because they did list malabsorption, depression, anxiety, fatigue and chronic stress in the list of treatable afflictions.  

I have so many of the same symptoms as you! All of my friends want me to see a psychiatrist and my uncle thinks that I have an eating disorder because I didn't want to eat anything at a restaurant we went to when I had been gluten-free for a week (I tried explaining to him that I would EVENTUALLY eat out, but I was brand new to being Gluten-Free and just wanted to be super safe for the first little while). I really hope you work it all out with the IV therapy. Good luck :)

frieze Community Regular

Katie...for your own edification/interest/support; you may want to read about Abram Hoffer.  Interesting fellow, a psychiatrist from Canada, since died, but was in the Orthomolecular psychiatry movement.

I have so many of the same symptoms as you! All of my friends want me to see a psychiatrist and my uncle thinks that I have an eating disorder because I didn't want to eat anything at a restaurant we went to when I had been gluten-free for a week (I tried explaining to him that I would EVENTUALLY eat out, but I was brand new to being Gluten-Free and just wanted to be super safe for the first little while). I really hope you work it all out with the IV therapy. Good luck :)

Thank you! I'll let you know if it helps. I am so tired of phantom symptoms of illness.

Takala Enthusiast

You don't owe anyone else an explanation of what is causing you to feel a certain way, because the average person *might* be able to throw around a bit of psychobabble talking points from watching Oprah, Dr. Oz, and a few other cable teevee personalities, or reading trashy popular magazines online, but they have not taken college level courses in psychology or had any medical training.  Malnutrition, and therefore shortages of vitamins and minerals, causes problems with food cravings....  this is not rocket science. This is a physical reaction.  Well-nourished people don't feel the need to binge - eat, because they are not starving to death on the inside. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

It's no different (im simplifying greatly here) than the link between hypothyroidism and depression symptoms that miraculously disappear when the thyroid is treated. This is a documented effect...perhaps using it as an example would help explain?

For some Celiacs, I swear it's like our bodies convert healthy food to junk food. Why, how...I don't know but that's the effect. I assume its the malabsorption from intestinal damage, plus the obvious gluten rejection/AI response (which we all express differently).

I know that everyone is different so this might not work for you, but I have just started taking a digestive enzyme pill after each meal and I have been feeling a lot better. 

sisterlynr Explorer

I agree that you should just not talk about it to people that you know don't understand.  Just tell them that you feel better, no details needed.

Most restaurants have an allergy menu which includes gluten allergy.  I just ask the server for their allergy menu and order from it.   

Good luck!

EmiPark210 Contributor

Here are some articles to back you up: 

Open Original Shared Link

I had to go back on gluten because of my biopsy next Friday after being off for three weeks and the psychological effects are amazing. Off gluten my ADD seemed to disappear and the insecurities I've been working through in therapy for four years now didn't seem so bad. But don't expect everything to get 100% better immediately. Some people heal more quickly than others. 

Good luck!

taynichaf Contributor

You sound exactly like me!...same situation! I am also paying that I am a celiac, because I know there has to be a reason for the person I've changed into..

Simona19 Collaborator

I would like to add one more thing: Why almost every autistic child is put on gluten and casein free diet? It appears that they do better on it. There is some controversy about it, but I met one woman not to long ago in the Whole food whose naturopath suggested this diet for her son and she was willing to try it. Even you know one popular celebrity whose son has autism and currently is on gluten and casein free diet. It's Jenny McCarthy. I heard her once on Helen to talk about it. She is also on the same diet with her son and she stated that it changed her son's life. Maybe you can explain your situation with the help of this fact?

Archived