This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baby And Food Allergy/intolerance- How To Know?

momma bee

momma bee Rookie

I have a 17 month old baby who is now just over one month gluten free.  What I am wondering about is how you might know in a baby if they had other food allergies or intolerances?  Any suggestions?  The pulmonologist and pediatrician in the past have both told me "not to worry" about potential allergies and have said "nothing will show" on tests at her age anyways.  With her being unable to really communicate to me though I do not know how I would know, and many nights she seems to wake up or just before she goes to sleep she has extreme abdominal pain with arching back and screaming or crying until she falls asleep and only being held upright will console her.  Any advice?  And do you think I should take her back and ask again for allergy testing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter used to do that.  She also had chronic infections of the ears, throat and sinuses.  And skin rashes.  Sadly we did not find out about the intolerances until she was 6.  But that was not for the lack of trying on my part.

gfreemarketingguru Rookie

My little guy was diagnosed with celiac at 22months & was also reacting to dairy & soy. I was told that this is very common and may be outgrown as the intestine repairs itself. I've been slowly reintroducing dairy and he seems to be tolerating it well in small amounts (yogurt w/ added probiotic, cheese, butter) - if he has too much (such as sneaking his sisters glass of milk) he shows various symptoms - itchy, unusual diaper and stomach pain (noticable when he is sleeping unfortably). Might be worth trying dairy/soy free for a few days, my little guy is happy with almond milk which is rather nutrient rich.

momma bee Rookie

Thanks for your reply! And sorry to hear it was so delayed for you finding out about the intolerances! I am glad to hear this though as perhaps I should just try without and see what happens as you suggest. Shouldn't be harmful, just more work in preparing and trying to think of food options! Just not sure what to eliminate- we stopped egg as it seemed to make her vomit but was so subjective, could try dairy and do you think soy is a likely culprit too?

gfreemarketingguru Rookie

dairy is really hard for a damaged intestine to digest (google it for explanation why) so thats a easy,place to start. Trying it for a few days, cant hurt & usually the little ones show improved reaction quite rapidly so you'll know if its the cause. Apparently the same issue with soy, often dairy & soy reactions go hand in hand.

Juliebove Rising Star

Those things were all problems for my daughter.  You might try eliminating all top 8 allergens for about a month, then trying them again, one by one, slowly.  Keep a food diary.

Archived