This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did I Get Glutenened?

jdizzle

jdizzle Apprentice

Over a year ago I quit gluten after realizing a strong link between gluten and my sickness/fatigue/diarrhea.

The 'D' stopped once I quit and there was a noticable difference, thought I still felt icky because I didn't realize I also had IBS. I accidentally had a trace of gluten after quitting and the reaction was HORRIBLE, it was a week of severe bloating, constipation, insomnia and aching limbs and back.

I've been super careful ever since, and though food ordered in public can sometimes make me feel bad, I assumed it couldn't be gluten because I didn't get the immediate pain and drowsy foggy head I used to get.

But I've been wondering if my sensitivity could have reduced with time?

On monday night I ordered a pizza with custom toppings and a gluten free base, that night I had really bad insomnia and bloating. The next day I had to 'bolt' to the toilet for the first time in ages, but it's been constipation as well... last night I had  pain down the sides of my gut/waist, for the last four days I've felt really bloated, nauseaus, run down and tired with more trouble sleeping than usual. Could it be that I got glutened on monday?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flowerqueen Community Regular

Could it be lack of fiber in your diet? When I was diagnosed with IBS over 30 years ago, I was told stress was a big factor in IBS but fiber helped put it right. I had severe symptoms (I have IBS and coeliac disease) since bcoming coeliac, I have found it really difficult to get enough fibre in my diet. Years ago I was told I needed to consume 30 grams of fibre a day in order to prevent an attack and to stay well. As we all know a large proportion of fibre comes from wheat and gluten and Coeliacs have to find other sources of fibre e.g. Beans, corn etc. as you ate a pizza (gluten free) the other day, it may be that you had not had sufficient fibre in your diet that day, as pizzas do not contain much, if any fibre and that could be the cause of your attack and not gluten (?). Obviously, it's all speculative and you need to keep a food journal and look at how much fibre you are eating throughout the day. The way I look at it these days, is just because I have an 'off day' it's not necessarily gluten contamination that has caused it and I step back and look at the bigger picture.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

P.S. can you eat dairy? I still can't eat dairy and if I accidentally have any, my symptoms are the same as when I have cross-contamination with gluten.

Archived