This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Describe Spring...am Getting Desperate.

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

Title sums it up.  We have about three feet of snow on the ground since the middle of October.  We have had two days above 0 since then.  Only two!  So, as you can imagine, there is not much melting happening.  There is nothing above 0 in the extended forecast, either.  We will definitely have snow into May.  I crave Spring.  Please describe to me what it looks like!!  My wants:

- a glimpse of green grass

- a green leaf on a tree

- a robin singing

- the sound of gentle rain

- the smell of wet soil

- an earthworm and ladybug - heck, even a housefly!

HELP ME FEEL SPRING!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, come visit!

My palm trees are actually coming back to life after our blizzard (yes, blizzard in Tucson!). They may have full fronds by fall!

The acacias (smell like bubble gum) have bloomed, and leafed out and now the mesquites are following. The desert willows are finally turning green, no blooms til summer. The sage has a few blooms; but they are monsoon bloomers.

My lantanas are mostly growing back, but I do need to replant a few. The peachy mallows have bloomed, along with most of the yellow-hued desert scrub. The prairie dusters bloomed (like miniature mimosas). The red hummingbird bushes (firecracker?) are blooming and growing like crazy right now.

Was stopped on the road by a covey of quail crossing - must have been two dozen!

We are going to Tombstone today - may see different blooms there. I'll let you know.

Oh, and allergies are TOTALLY out of control :(.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Well, we have had the wettest march since 1964 in the UK, and April is looking much the same, but...

On Thursday I went for a walk with the kids and found tadpoles in the pond

On Friday the sun came out properly, we walked on the beach, smelled the surf, climbed over rocks,and there were people eating ice creams. One brave soul had shorts and crocs

My daffodils are nearly over

The apple trees are just (just) begining to bud

My cat has started to shed, and hairball!

Wrap up, eat soup, not too long to go now x

bartfull Rising Star

We had some pretty great weather (highs anywhere from the upper 50's to the 70's) for the past several weeks. My tulips and irises were starting to come up. Then on Tuesday and Wednesday we got a blizzard. A little over a foot of snow here, more (22 inches) in Rapid City.

OK, so we have been in drought and this is much needed moisture. And usually after a spring storm the temperature rises and it melts quickly. Not so this time. We are due for yet ANOTHER big snowstorm starting tomorrow night and going into Tuesday.

So I feel your pain. Although we haven't had the constant low temps you have had to endure, there is something so cruel about getting a taste of spring only to be plunged back into the depths of winter. :ph34r:

love2travel Mentor

Though the sounds of snowblowers surround me, I am now able to picture Spring a bit better, thanks to you! 

It is difficult to imagine things green and blooming.  How incredible!  Prickly, I adore the smell of acacias.  They surround our Croatia house, along with wisteria which should be blooming. 

Bartfull, that is indeed cruel.  Just when you think it is finally over, then BAM!  Talk about hard on plants!  Poor little guys.  :(

Three weeks from today we will be in Croatia, enjoying Spring.  HURRAY!  :D

GFinDC Veteran

Here in DC, the Dorfadills have bloomed, apple trees and cherry trees are blooming.  Crab apples trees will start in a few weeks I suspect.  Forsythia bloomed although I  didn't see much of it in the back yard.

The bag of onions I bought sprouted new growth in the kitchen.  Some sweet potatoes did the same thing just a few days after buying them.  They know it's spring and they are ready to go!

Was in the 80's for a few days and hot sunny.   I opened the upstairs bedroom window and left eh front door open some to let in cool air.  Had to stop drinking herbal tea for awhile since the tea pot made it hotter.  Now it's cooled back down to the 40-060's and I can drink tea gain.  So nice!

The birds have been singing at night and in the morning. They put on quite a concert sometimes.

Lots of tourists around to see the cherry blossoms.

Got some nice rain all one night and the next morning too.

The maple tree in front of my house has dropped it's red buds all over the sidewalk.

And we had a baptism at Easter service outside in a horse trough.  And they didn't turn to icecicles!

IrishHeart Veteran

Paul, The cherry blossoms in Dee Cee looked especially glorious this year (on TV anyway.)  Gosh, I  just love those trees!!

Well, Lovey,

Spring is taking her sweet time arriving here in upstate NY and (having just left behind the gorgeous flowering bougainvillea

and hibiscus of Florida ) I am feeling your exasperation.

The grape hyacinth, forsythia, lilacs , daffodils and tulips---just barely starting to shoot up and show some budding. (c'mon already!!)

The BUNNIES are back and "courting". 

J has started to spray the apple trees! A sure sing of Spring.

The robins are here in full force and the goldfinches are sporting their much brighter  "golden" feathers, rather than the drab ones of winter..

When the Grosbeak and the hummingbirds return to my feeders, then I start to sing of Spring myself. Soon, soon.  :)

This AM, it was "sneeting" and registered a chilly 35.   :huh: yuck.

Hnag in there, kiddo---you'll soon be in the sunshine!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

sneeting..... *snicker* I do not miss the sneet from back east.

Yesterday was a perfect Utah spring day.

It was sunny all day with a blue sky and a few white puffy clouds and a nice 60F.

We have had daffodils blooming a few weeks here, so I imagine they'll be gone soon. Yards are green everywhere now.

Every time I leave the house or open a window the only thing I hear is birds.

The fruit trees in the back yards have just gotten blooms.

Oh... and my eyes itch and feel like little men are pushing on the back of them constantly and I have a simultaneous drippy/stuffy nose. Wouldn't be spring without that. :rolleyes: I expect in another week or two I'll give up my voice. Maybe sooner.

love2travel Mentor

GFinDC, what lovely descriptions!  I can so envision Spring.  The wind is howling, the snow is flying, my patience is waning.  :angry:

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

The only way I can survive the winter/spring seasons is to travel south! This year I got back from my spring vacation( Tampa) to a snowstorm (Maine). Blahhh! 50's next week, can't wait for warmer weather!

nvsmom Community Regular

Yep.... I'm near the Rockies in western Canada, and at the moment it's about -10C. It snowed over 15cm in the last 48 hours and it's not done... I actually got a sore wrist from digging out the driveway.  LOL :rolleyes:  We only get a little over 90 frost free days a year up here so we've got a while longer until spring is here - we usually have our last (unappreciated) snow in mid May on the long weekend... it's almost like a tradition to moan about that in our city. Sigh.

I DO have 5 crocuses in bloom in a south corner of my yard near my front steps - purple and white. They're under a good foot of snow now, but at least I KNOW that they are there.  LOL And my tulip tops are showing out of the dirt... or were showing.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Good question. The weather can't decide whether or not its spring or not. We go from near 70F down to below 0F and back up again. That was in the space of a day or so.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

My tulips have started peeping out today, glorious purple ones. The lovely little wild primroses that I have been encouraging into the garden are spreading and blooming.

The sun has been out today and (if you stand in a shelterd spot!) you can feel the sun on your skin.

I am thinking of planing my second lot of potatoes this weekend (not sure they will be far behind the first lot that went in 5 weeks ago).

It is slow, but there are definite signs here now...

IrishHeart Veteran

Th forsythia have buds today and the sun is actually OUT (it has been gray for days) and it's in the 50's.

But i could change and be 35 tomorrow, for all I know. 

Hubs has taken an Allegra....something is blooming somewhere.

(of all the yucky things I have/have had, thank heavens, no seasonal allergies)

"April is the cruelest month". T.S. Eliot was right.

The sun is shining right now in Northern Maine, the forecast calls for 50-60's! Where did I put those flip flops haha probably right next to my winter boots that I'll need this weekend

IrishHeart Veteran

The sun is shining right now in Northern Maine, the forecast calls for 50-60's! Where did I put those flip flops haha probably right next to my winter boots that I'll need this weekend

" You know you're a Noo Englandah when...."

You can wear flip flops and shorts one day and boots and scarves the next ....during March, April and sometimes May and October.

You think 50 degree water is  " a:good swimming temp"

You think 8 inches of snow is a "dusting".

GF Lover Rising Star

I heard a rumor that here in Ohio, Sunday was sunny and 70 degrees.  Unfortunately I missed it because I was sicker than a dog.

Open Original Shared Link

" You know you're a Noo Englandah when...."

You can wear flip flops and shorts one day and boots and scarves the next ....during March, April and sometimes May and October.

You think 50 degree water is " a:good swimming temp"

You think 8 inches of snow is a "dusting".

Hahaha, oh this rings too true! Guess I'm def a New Englandah!! Ps...the sun has gone under, wind is picking up but I've still got my flip flops on! 45° and holding

IrishHeart Veteran

I heard a rumor that here in Ohio, Sunday was sunny and 70 degrees.  Unfortunately I missed it because I was sicker than a dog.

Open Original Shared Link

better now, I hope! xx

IrishHeart Veteran

Hahaha, oh this rings too true! Guess I'm def a New Englandah!! Ps...the sun has gone under, wind is picking up but I've still got my flip flops on! 45° and holding

That's a hearty girl! ;)

That's a hearty girl! ;)

Oh I'll probably get a cold for my foolish actions, but it's been a loooongggggg winter....I can't take anymore snow! Lol

mushroom Proficient

Looks like that horrid weather has finally found the energy to cross the equator and head our way.  We are due for a week of rain... only it's not really going to rain, you know that, it's going to mizzle and sneet and do anything except provide the right moisture to green up our parched paddocks to provide winter feed for our sheeps, cows, and deers, before the ice stops the growth and we start feeding out the hay and silage and bailage we made in our most abundant spring.  And then we will start snowplowing and digging out the stock from under feets of snow and having baby lambs on the hearth feeding out of bottles.... and so the cycle repeats itself... endlessly.... :rolleyes:

shadowicewolf Proficient

The news is calling for snow tonight....

It was quite cold today as well.

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh I'll probably get a cold for my foolish actions, but it's been a loooongggggg winter....I can't take anymore snow! Lol

Nope. Me neither and that is why this hearty New Englander is moving to Florida very soon. B) Come with me. 

IrishHeart Veteran

Looks like that horrid weather has finally found the energy to cross the equator and head our way.  We are due for a week of rain... only it's not really going to rain, you know that, it's going to mizzle and sneet and do anything except provide the right moisture to green up our parched paddocks to provide winter feed for our sheeps, cows, and deers, before the ice stops the growth and we start feeding out the hay and silage and bailage we made in our most abundant spring.  And then we will start snowplowing and digging out the stock from under feets of snow and having baby lambs on the hearth feeding out of bottles.... and so the cycle repeats itself... endlessly.... :rolleyes:

sneet, now that one  I know

mizzle (er, drizzle and mist?)  That's a good one!!! :D

Archived