This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Did I Do Wrong?

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

I got some Chebe Bread mix & I can't have cheese so I left that out. The package says to kneed it till smooth. Fine but it was like 14 octopuses had my fingers. I could not get my hands out of it & it stuck to me so badly it was ridiculous! I oiled my hands & no better. It says to divide the dough into 4 pieces & flatten them to 4". Well! Easier said than done!!!!! What did I do wrong that it sticks so terribly? What is the secret to keeping it from sticking to your hands? 

BTW, despite all that, when it was cooked it was quite good! Closest thing we've had to bread since going gluten-free. 

Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Squirmy!!!!!

Good to see you around these parts.

I use a bowl of warm water whenever working with pizza dough, chebe, or any other dough...I dip my hands repeatedly, shake and shape whatever I am working with.

Hope that makes sense - great to see you :)

mushroom Proficient

My understanding is that chebe isn't chebe without the cheese :unsure:  :rolleyes: but then, what do I know???? :D

GottaSki Mentor

:rolleyes: but then, what do I know???? :D

quite a bit  ;)

Takala Enthusiast

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  octopuses

Too wet. 

Okay, let's review. The directions said add the eggs, oil, and water, but you left out the optional cheese.  The cheese adds a bit of protein and oil and moisture. 

The directions are always so whacked up on these Chebe boxes.  I beat the eggs and the oil together, and depending on what else I intend to do, then add either exactly the 1/4 cup of water and the cheese and mix that, THEN, add the dry mix all at once, and stir it with a large sturdy spoon, slowly.  Adding the mix slowly doesn't work well.  I don't even touch the stuff with my hands until the dough is behaving like dough.  At first I stir, then fold and press with the spoon, pushing the crumbles together.   If the mixture is refusing to make a dough ball, and is too sticky, I then have a spare box of sacrifice Chebe in the fridge, which I have opened and set out on the counter, ready to shake in a little bit more tapioca mix.  ;)  So I add a little more.   Then I stir again and fold again and press with the spoon, seeing if it wants to go into a ball that is not overly sticky.  THEN,  when it seems just a little bit too dry, I take my oiled hands (I have set out an oiled paper towel, or a dish with a little oil, or I call for spouse to put some in my hand)  and start to knead the dough.   Which then turns into a dough ball and gets more "pliable" as it is kneaded.  :)

Since you left out a whole cup of cheese, you might try adding either a bit more Chebe flour mix out of a spare box, or a bit more of a different kind of gluten free flour, nut meal, etc, say, one to three tablespoons, and a little bit more oil to replace the oil in the missing cheese.  Or, instead of a quarter cup of water, start with only 1 tablespoon, and see if it makes a dough, then if not, add more to see what amount you need for your project. 

Once I have the dough ball I cut it or pinch it into how many pieces I want to end up with, for what ever project.  Sometimes I add quite a bit of other types of gluten-free flours, such as buckwheat or amaranth or a mixture, (you can also use nut meals, I grind those in the blender, as I also grind the buckwheat cereal or seeds) then add an extra egg and oil, plus a dash of vinegar and some baking soda, and make a "big batch" of sandwich rolls and little biscuits.   For the Chebe pizza mixes, besides what it says on the package,  I just add about a tablespoon of another type of gluten-free flour, then press it out on an oiled and corn floured pan and pre bake it for about 10 minutes, to make it crispier, before adding the toppings. 

GottaSki Mentor

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  octopuses

Too wet. 

Okay, let's review.

and here I thought I typed quickly....the award goes to....T

edited to add...oh ya...good instruction too.

Takala Enthusiast

My understanding is that chebe isn't chebe without the cheese  :unsure:   :rolleyes: but then, what do I know????  :D

Hey, this is a Gluten Free Baking Forum.  My understanding is that the "gluten free" recipe never works the first time.....  or you are out of one of the substitute ingredients .......  

My favorite oops was once I dropped a whole box of buckwheat into the dog's water dish mid recipe.   :ph34r:   The other was the time I tried using fresh corn and created the hollow crust that took 2 hours to solidify in the oven.   :P   I put nutella on it and passed it off as a desert shell.  :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Hey there Ski lady! Nice to know someone noticed I was MIA. We bought a house & have been moving, settling in & getting organized --- or trying to. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  So now I have an oven that doesn't burn everything & am finally able to begin experimenting.

Warm water in a bowl --- good idea. Takala --- wonderful instructions there -- thank you! Hahahahahaha.....It's good to know others try to pull the fat out of the fire & make it work. These buns were a bit gooey inside so this morning I have them back in the oven trying to salvage something out of them.

The first thing I tried was the Namaste' Spice Cake ---- YEOWZAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum! And the directions on it were perfect!

IrishHeart Veteran

I knew she was MIA but still "A-OK"  (but only because she kept me apprised of her house hunting/transition).

Poor Squirmy was up to her arse in paperwork and moving boxes :lol: So glad you're settling in, sweets!

I do not use the "optional cheese" addition in the Chebe mixes either and yes, I DO wet my hands and it comes out fine. I make J work the dough sometimes to save my arms. :D

One suggestion...add the water slowly..... slowly.......and do not over-mix it.

I get a nice, pliable dough as a result.

Yes, some sticks to your hands, but it scrapes off.

I agree-the Namaste mixes are great. Gemini turned me onto those. You can make an awesome carrot cake out of that spice cake mix they make. I had gluten eaters devour that cake whole  (I made it with butter cream cheese frosting)  .  YUM!!

Try  the Chebe dough again and best wishes in your new home!! If you really like it, the company that starts with  Ama.. and ends in.... zon.com....sells it in packs of 6 or 8 maybe?  for cheaper.

xx

GottaSki Mentor

I agree-the Namaste mixes are great. Gemini turned me onto those. You can make an awesome carrot cake out of that spice cake mix they make. I had gluten eaters devour that cake whole  (I made it with butter cream cheese frosting)  .  YUM!!

Good Dealio -- was wondering what my next incentive for my men to keep knocking off the "honey-do" list would be.

Squirmy -- glad to hear you are getting settled -- gotta admit I get anxious just hearing you all talking about packing up - I'll be ready in a few more years -- not that I procrastinate or anything ;)

Oh jeez -- just realized will probably have to pack folks up within the next few years - doh!!! 

Enjoy that oven -- lots of tasty treats to be made :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Butter & Cream Cheese Frosting* (I know, doubly dangerous)

An outrageously good multi-purpose frosting for carrot cake, chocolate cake, spice cake, pumpkin cake, cupcakes, etc. (licking off a spoon....)

8 oz. cream cheese (softened)

8 oz. (1 stick ) salted butter (softened)

3 cups powdered confectioners sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla 

Using a stand mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter together until smooth.

Add the confectioners sugar and the vanilla.

Beat on HIGH until the frosting is light and fluffy about 4-5 mins.

Tip:

To avoid any tears or crumbs in the frosting, frost the cake with a thin layer first, then pop the cake into the freezer for 5-8 minutes so it “sets” firm. Then, frost the entire cake with a beautiful layer of frosting---- free of any crumbs. ;)

*Peter and Kellie Bronski's recipe. I always give due props!

squirmingitch Veteran

Yes, I let Irish know why I was MIA. We still have a lot of settling in & organizing to do but are trying to balance that with just de-stressing & enjoying the property we bought. We sit on one of the porches & just listen to the birds sing & watch the wildlife. Now I've added a little experimentation time for gluten-free baking.

Thanks for your tips IH!

I'm mad at you though for posting that frosting recipe. I can't have dairy yet & you know it! ;)

I have to say though that Duncan Hines Creamy Homestyle Classic Vanilla icing is gluten-free & dairy free & when put on the spice cake really, really tastes a lot like cream cheese frosting. If I close my eyes it's cream cheese frosting. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Actually, I did not post  it to make you mad and I did forget about your dairy limitations.  Forgive me, as I am not thinking clearly at all right now.

the Boston tragedy has shaken me to the core and I did not sleep much..

Anyway...someday, we will  have ALL the yummy things we cannot have right now :) (my list has about 25 things on it) so do not despair my friend. Save it for later? xx

squirmingitch Veteran

You must be shaken to the core. You missed my winking smilie. I'm not really mad at you dear ---- I was pulling your leg. I have come to terms with the fact that I can not have dairy for some time yet but when the day comes that I can.......LOOKOUT!!!!!!!! Dairy overload. I think I'll be smushing pieces of cheese up my nostrils! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The Boston thing has shaken us all up. What a sad time. :wacko:

IrishHeart Veteran

You must be shaken to the core. You missed my winking smilie. I'm not really mad at you dear ---- I was pulling your leg

Yes, I know you were not really mad, silly. ;)  I gave you my smiley face back! :)

But I did fail to recall about the dairy because I'm just stupid tired.  sigh

squirmingitch Veteran

Stupid tired ---- I've been there. Hate the stupid tireds.

IrishHeart Veteran

ranks up there with drag yer ass tired, only worse  :blink: doh!

Takala Enthusiast

Soul sucking, need the ass on the kayak wheelie cart, bone grinding tired.

Gave in and took a nap today, it was wonderful. 

I put stevia on the cream cheese or the yogurt with a dash of nutmeg, and tell myself it is "frosting."  I imagine this would work with dairy substitutes like that Toffutti cream cheese stuff, "cheese" made from nuts, or ....  whipped coconut milk.  You so have to see this recipe, you take a can of coconut milk, refrigerate it, pour off the liquid, and whip the heavier coconut cream into a fluffy topping with a bit of sweetener and vanilla.  I am not dairy free now, but still really like recipes like this.  Open Original Shared Link

squirmingitch Veteran

Looks wonderful! But I am dairy free b/c of iodine & it's effect on dh. Coconut happens to be one of the iodine rich foods so no coconut for me. No coconut milk, no nothing.

One of these days I'll be on the other side & won't have to screen everything for iodine content.

Archived