This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pf Changs - Gluten Or Other Ingredient

kvanrens1

kvanrens1 Explorer

My 9 year old NCGI daughter ate at PF Chang's in August 2012 for lunch.  By that afternoon, she was so sick that she did not make it to the toilet on time.  Very embarrassing for her.  We have not been back until yesterday.  She ordered the same thing as last time.  gluten-free fried rice and gluten-free singapore noodles.  She did not eat much of the noodles mostly the fried rice.  I leave her at the table with breakfast while I go get ready and this morning, when I checked on her she had not finished her breakfast.  When I asked why it was taking her so long to eat breakfast, she broke out into tears (she gets very emotional on gluten because her stomach hurts) and said that she had been in the bathroom for a while.

Since she had the exact same foods as last time and they came out on the signature plates indicating gluten free, is it gluten or could she be sensitive to another ingredient that they use in their foods?  Any BTDT?

Just trying to figure out if PF Chang's is yet another place that she cannot eat :(

Thanks,

Kristy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I have eaten at 3 different PF Changs and always had good luck.  Anything is possible when someone else fixes your food.

Is she intolerant to something else that might be in the dishes? Soy?  Egg?

Kate79 Apprentice

Was it the same PF Chang's both times?  I've eaten at 3-4 different ones and I haven't had an issue - but if it's the same one twice in a row, maybe they need a refresher on their gluten free procedures.  Wouldn't hurt to call them up and talk to the manager. 

kvanrens1 Explorer

Yes, it was the same PF Chang's both times.  I told the server that she had gotten sick the last time we ate there and he said his wife eats gluten free too.  He was sure to point out the signature plates when he brought out the food.  Just a puzzle because I know PF Chang's is one of the "good guys" that really try with the gluten-free preparation.  I was just wondering if it could be something else.  She eats egg all the time so that should not be it.  Anyone know what types of oil they use?  Do they use MSG? 

kvanrens1 Explorer

Her plates did not have tofu (soy) and she is not sensitive to soy that I am aware of.  I requested gluten free soy sauce and like last time they brought it out separate, in its own container.

kareng Grand Master

Her plates did not have tofu (soy) and she is not sensitive to soy that I am aware of.  I requested gluten free soy sauce and like last time they brought it out separate, in its own container.

They cook & marinate the food with the gluten-free soy sauce (San-J Tamari), so there is soy in it.

This is from the website. Doesn't mention MSG.  But in the frozen food section they say no MSG in those products so I'm thinking there is probably none in the restaruant food.

"All Gluten Free items are served on a special plate with the P.F. Chang’s logo. These menu items are

either gluten free as prepared, or are modified to be gluten free. The following ingredients are used in

P.F. Chang’s gluten free sauces: chicken broth, oyster sauce, rice wine, sugar, water, wheat free soy sauce

and white pepper. The marinades for beef, pork, chicken, shrimp and scallops are gluten free and contain

cornstarch. The soy sauce on the table is not gluten free. Please ask your server for our gluten free soy

sauce. Products containing gluten are prepared in our kitchens. Gluten Free Lunch Combos are served

with a cup of Egg Drop Soup only."

Darissa Contributor

Sorry she is getting sick. Our experiences at PFChangs has always been great. My daughter and I are very sensitive to cross contact. We can not eat out at very many places, but we have eaten at multiple PFChangs in multiple states when we travel, and have always done great. From my knowledge, they do a great job in the kitchen of keeping things seperate. Of course, eating out, there is always some chance of getting cross contact, but we have not had that issue there.

I hope you are able to find out what she is reacting to.  Good luck.  You might contact the manager at the PFChangs you ate at, and ask about their procedures to keep one safe with their gluten free foods. You also might ask for a ingredient list of the foods she did have to see if there is something else that could be bothering her. Good luck.  We have eaten almost every item off the gluten free menu at PFChangs, and the ones you mentioned, we eat those often.  I hope you get some answers.  Its so hard when our children are sick and we are trying to figure out what/why.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nikki2777 Community Regular

I recently had a bad episode at a  PF Chang's, though I can't be sure it was a glutening or something else.  I e-mailed them and they were extremely responsive, and asked me which restaurant and time, etc.,  They said they would follow up with additional training at the site.  I was encouraged by how seriously they seemed to take it.

kvanrens1 Explorer

Her stomach was still hurting this afternoon so it was probably gluten.  Just disappointed for her because we are so limited in our small town that we usually take food for her when we eat out.  We have a PF Chang's and Mellow Mushroom around an hour drive from us.  She does fine at Mellow Mushroom so guess we will have to stick to Mellow Mushroom.  Hate to see her in pain and miserable. 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
LFitts Apprentice

Her stomach was still hurting this afternoon so it was probably gluten.  Just disappointed for her because we are so limited in our small town that we usually take food for her when we eat out.  We have a PF Chang's and Mellow Mushroom around an hour drive from us.  She does fine at Mellow Mushroom so guess we will have to stick to Mellow Mushroom.  Hate to see her in pain and miserable. 

Thanks!

:( There is truly nothing worse.

gatita Enthusiast

Awwww I feel so bad for her. I have only eaten once at PF and had the same experience as your daughter. Uggh! Had the same dishes as she did, plus the gluten-free chocolate dessert. AWFUL reaction, I was so sad!! I may try again when I get my courage up.

Meanwhile, I can't rule out that someone in the kitchen probably screwed up re:cross contamination. After all, they're only human and the kitchen has gluteny stuff in it, so I'm sure accidents happen.

• 3 weeks later...
CarolinaKip Community Regular

I had two bad experiences at one location. The server CC my dipping sauce and I pointed it out to him. He changed it, however, I got sick for three days. It didn't seem like a mistake to me. I didn't eat at pfchangs for over a year. I went to a different location whose managers seem way more involved! The servers are very educated about Celiac. Plus, my table will now eat all gluten-free with me, so the order stands out more. They also only bring out the gluten-free sauce plate. I also found out I cannot tolerate soy well, so I stay away from the rice and noodles.  Once my regular dish I order came out looking wrong, the manager was quick to take it back and have his head chef remake it.

I was told in late April by my server that pfChangs was sold and the company that bought them will be changing their menu. I hate she had such a bad experience, pfchangs is the only place I eat out at.

Colleeney Apprentice

OMG I. am so sick today after eating at PF Chang's. I've been many times to this restaurant and never had a problem. But this time ordered Moo Goo Guy Pan (sp?) IT really seemed that the chicken was processed not fresh which makes me think it was either dusted w gluten, typical to prevent sticking, or the conveyor was dusted which we know doesn't get reported. Oh so frustrated, sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
Vinturi Rookie

The pf in downtown Dallas made me sick last weekend. It was my first time eating there. My husband even ordered his meal gluten-free too so we could share. :( I'm sure Ill try again in the future.

Archived