This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Two Years And Ten Days Later.... I Have Learned So Much!

MsCurious

MsCurious Enthusiast

Hi Celiac.com Community!

It's been quite some time since I have posted here, but having just hit my two year anniversary, I had to pop in and see how everybody is doing. So "Hi", to all of you who remember me, and greetings to the newer posters!.

I have been on a long journey to get to today, as most of you have, and I've learned a LOT!  I have learned that you have to take your health care into your own hands, to a certain extent, and not wait for or expect doctors to have answers, because often times they don't. I did endless research, and "testing" to figure out what was making me sick, food-wise.  It is still a work in progress, but since my diagnosis, and going gluten free, and dairy free (which in my case is just about as serious as the gluten issue, and was wreaking havoc on my insides), I have had allergy testing and found that I have multiple food allergies (probably caused at least in part by gluten issues, which caused leaky gut, etc.) But it turns out that I am allergic to a plethera of fruits, apples, melons, pears, cherries, peaches, etc, and celery, carrots, seafood/shellfish, and pork to name a few. Life is challenging and I have a list of things I know I can safely eat without issues.

I started out with chicken, then I added peas, then rice. Now in the mornings I make a quick satisfying lunch to take to work in my thermos container. So easy and safe!  I boil about 1 cup of water with a little salt, toss in a little instant brown rice, precooked chicked, and a can of peas... toss it into the thermos, save the rest for tomorrow, etc. Fast... easy... safe... tasty, and best of all, I feel great! :)  For dinner, I usually have a salad, and I've found a few tricks that just rock! Romaine lettuced chopped up, chopped roma tomatoe without seeds, black olives, sunflower seeds, sometimes a little chopped avocado, sometimes a little chopped chicken or some ground beef. THEN I squirt some LaVictoria mild taco sauce on top to give it a "wet and creamy" texture, and about tablespoon of Kraft Lite Catalina dressing! Fabulous fresh salad, so satisfying and yummy! 

Not only do I have the gluten and dairy issues, and the above mentioned additional food allergies, but I also can not tolerate HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP .... YUCK AND OUCH!  That's brutal nasty stuff! DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH! Makes me so sick! Also, doctor told me not to put ANYTHING that ends in "itol" in my mouth. Sorbitol, etc.... BAD BAD BAD!  I also stay away from food dyes, as they also make me feel "icky".  On a happier note, my mom called me a few weeks ago and said... "Hey, did you know you can have Pearson's Salted Nut Rolls and Junior Mints"? They are gluten and dairy free! Now I don't eat a lot of "treats" but that was fun news! I also indulge in Gimbles "Scotties" black licorice "dogs' and they also have gluten-free jelly beans!  :)

Ohhhh and here's a REALLY wonderful treat!  Dream Rice or is it Rice Dream (non dairy ice cream) has a new flavor... Praline... SOOOO GOOD.... but here's the real treat:   Slice a banana, and cut up some fresh strawberries, or any other berries you love, and take baby spoonfuls, about 1/4 cup, of the Praline Rice Dream and toss it in the bowl.  As it melts it makes a very smooth creamy sweet and yummy treat, and you don't need much of the Praline for it to taste sinfully FABULOUS!  It is to DIE FOR good! :) 

Sorry, if any of you have peanut or nut allergies, because the Praline and salted nut rolls won't work for you, but for those of you like me who are allergic to so many "goodies" ... these are two treats that are fun! :)

I continue to try adding one food item at a time to my diet to see if I can tolerate it, and I continue to try to expand my list of things I can safely eat, and that is what works best for me, because even though I have celiac disease and can't have wheat, barley, rye, etc... I think I miss dairy more!  That's harder for me, and so many of us have both issues. If you are not feeling better being just gluten free, I would suggest doing what I have done over the past two years. Find a couple of foods that you know you feel great after eating... then once a week or every three to four days, try adding a new food... but not more often than that, as it takes sometimes a few days for issues to show up.

Here's another heads up. I thought I had egg issues, because I would constantly get tummy aches after eating eggs. Then I saw a special on the egg industry and found out that a lot of "big box store" grocery chains use big factory egg providers. Now they date the cartons, and you "should" be able to know if the eggs are fresh, but they showed that the outdated cartons of eggs were picked up...repackaged with NEW expiration dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH! No wonder I was getting sick! I found s new source of eggs from a specialty store that has organic eggs from a "non-egg mill" source, and low and behold... with fresh eggs, I'm FINE!!!!!!! So be careful! Those dirty dogs ... the greedy corporations don't care about health,...they just want $$$, and they don't care who they make sick along the way.

Look at MONSANTO!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't it interesting that they were so terrified that California was going to pass the GMO food labeling law, that they spent MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars just a few weeks before the election to scare people into voting it down saying it would drive up food costs?  My mom had an interesting observation about that... her comment was... IF they didn't have anything to hide.... why were they so panicked that they spend MILLIONs and MILLIONs of $$$$ to stop the GMO Food labeling law? Makes you wonder doesn't it? Anyway, I digress....

Two years later, no more sick, no more brain fog, no more tummy aches every day! I work 40 hours a week, which  I could not have done two years ago... I was too sick!  So things have completely changed in my life! I'm so careful, and prepare my own food. I don't participate in work food events, potlucks, fund raising breakfasts and lunches, etc. I just flat out told my boss and my co-workers, that I have an illness that prevents me from participating, but that I hope they enjoy the festivities. I'm happy and healthy, and they don't really "get it" but they don't bother me about it.  I'm just so happy to be able to be at work and not be sick! I feel about 20 years younger than I did two years ago, and that is the honest truth... its just AMAZING! :)

I have a wonderful husband, and we just celebrated out 4th wedding anniversary yesterday. He's so supportive and thoughful about my food limitations. Traveling is a challenge, but not impossible. I plan ahead, prepare for delays and have backups with me. Bananas are a great meal substitute in a pinch! :) 

Anyway, I hope this post gives some of you some helpful information, food for thought, and last but not least... hope that it DOES get better!  I feel totally normal, and the food thing... well you figure it out...what works for you...and you don't miss the gluten or dairy or what ever else, because you feel GREAT! :D  Why eat posion if it makes you sick, right? :)

Best wishes to all my celiac and gluten sensitive brothers and sisters out there in the world! You are not alone! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hi there, MsCurious :)   Thanks for making a return visit and sharing your good news with all.  There will be many a heart warmed by reading your post and many a hope revived!

MsCurious Enthusiast

Hi there, MsCurious :)   Thanks for making a return visit and sharing your good news with all.  There will be many a heart warmed by reading your post and many a hope revived!

Hey Mushroom! It's great to see you! Nice to see faces that helped get me through those terrifying, just learning stages of testing, and coping!  You all made such a difference, and for that I am so grateful. :)

flowerqueen Community Regular

Hi MsCurious

I am fairly new to the forum compared to yourself, but found your post very helpful. Thank you for sharing!

GF Lover Rising Star

Great inspiration for those with many allergies and a limited diet.  

Congratulations to you!!

Colleen 

IrishHeart Veteran

Hi Ms. C!

I just said this on another thread to you, but I'll say it again: It is GREAT to hear healing stories!

GottaSki Lisa also posted one recently  as did I. 

I always liked hearing them when I was starting out, as it gave me such hope.

Good for you. Glad you are feeling well.

Thanks for coming back and sharing your story.

Cheers!

Archived