• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
peeptoad

Gluten Free Substitutes Made With Rice

Rate this topic

With all the recent news about rice and arsenic (you are now supposed to wash rice before cooking to remove some of the arsenic) and, more recently, the rice from China and Taiwan that is contamined with lead.... are gluten-free products containing rice (rice flour, starch, etc) safe to consume??

Rice seems to be one of the most commmon "substitute grains/carbs" (along with potatoes)... I'm wondering if the processing of rice when gluten-free packaged foods are made makes it safer, or would it sill be unsafe to eat??

Apologies if this has already been asked... I didnt' see anything on a quick search.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Thanks. Doesn't really definitively answer anything, but makes me feel even more unsure about eating the rice-based products. :(

I guess we'll all die form smoething eventually, but I really don't want to eat something that I know could potentially be poisoning my body. Argh.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Rosalieblue

• Topics

• Umm Spicely is one of the few I trust, and they tested negative after some asshat came here claiming gluten on them last time. I wasted my money and time Nima Testing my spicely organic spices. I use them as a gluten free chef, and baker.

I also have UC and I can tell you, anything but the smallest amounts of garlic, onions, or hot peppers will set off my UC. It HATES garlic and onions and I have to use them just slightly, spicy peppers it is picky some days it is alright with paprika in small amounts same with ancho, and tiny pinches of Cayenne other days even cumin might make it angery. It is a really picky disease, and you sort of have to stick to easy herbs on bad days for seasoning to appease the colon gods. PS Marshmallow Root, Aloe Vera inner filet juice, and Slippery Elm can be great so soothing the beast. I am doing the family turkey this year with poultry seasoning, and butter flavored coconut oil, avoiding garlic, only using a 1/4 sweet onion and a celery butt on the inside, and for flavor injecting it with liquid smoke and putting bacon over it. My keto dressing this year with my UC also has the onion omitted, just using poultry herbs and a bit of celery sauteed and pulsed ina food processor.

I had to remove grains from my diet completely, fruits, sugars, carbs all caused my UC to flare up so they all had to go. I changed to a ketogenic diet.
    • I agree with the advice given.  You could also ask for the rest of the celiac panel since you were barely positive on the DGP IGG.  This will help determine if the slight positive was a fluke.  Make sure that you have been eating gluten for at least 8 to 12 weeks prior to the blood test.  If you had been gluten free, the tests would not be accurate (invalid).  All celiac disease testing requires you to be on a full gluten diet.   I personally tested positive on only the DGP IgA, but my result was not borderline like yours.   I am sorry that your result is not clear.  ☹️
    • We never eat at LAX.  We do bring our own food or purchase gluten-free snacks while traveling through various airports.  Often you can find fresh fruit options.  If going international, do not rely on any airline to remember to load a gluten-free meal. You may end up starving!  
    • Your celiac test results are normal.  But four weeks may not be enough time for your body to develop antibodies specific to a gluten exposure.   Celiac centers recommend 8 to 12 weeks for blood tests and only 2 to 4 for an endoscopy to obtain intestinal biopsies.  http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/ Since you already have one AI issue, maybe you can go directly to an endoscopy.  This is something you need to discuss with your doctor as insurance has a say....ugh!   Even if negative for celiac disease, I would look to an autoimmune diet that may help relieve your AI flares.  I would encourage you to really rule out celiac disease first, if possible.  
    • Welcome!  While it may be true for you (your biopsies may have revealed damage while you had been gluten free), researchers recommend a gluten diet for all celiac tests.  Amounts and times may vary.    Why because experts really do not know how each individual reacts to gluten.  A person can heal in as little as two weeks or damage can last for months to years (for a variety of reasons,like refractory celiac disease or a hidden gluten sources). To insure the best diagnostic outcome, it is best to be prudent and be on a gluten diet.  😊 I am glad that you are doing well.  Nice to know that antihistamines can help reduce some symptoms of DH.  I do not have DH, but I do deal with chronic autoimmune hives.  Thank goodness for antihistamines!   Please continue to share your DH tips.  We do not have as many members who have DH and we could use your expertise.  
  • Upcoming Events