This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Snacks For A Tween

blmoreschi

blmoreschi Apprentice

I need some recommendation for pre-packaged snacks for my 11 year old who is newly diagnosed. We are doing very well on everything else, but I really need something she likes to have for when the hungries hit - for instance, to leave in her dance bag and in her backpack and my purse.

She was iffy on granola bars before, and we've now tried 3 gluten-free bars that she doesn't care for. Our go-to pre-wrapped snack before was peanut butter crackers. The only nuts she really likes are peanuts and pistachios - I think I need to look for some small pacakges of peanuts. Pistachios are probably not the best for a quick snack because of the shells.The other snack I'm thinking of are those little squeezable pouches of unsweetened applesauce.

The bars we have tried are Glutino strawberry (like NutriGrain bars), Larabar peanut butter, and Mariani Honey Nut. I saw a deal on Amazon tonight for Bumble Bars. Are they good?

I would love some suggestions. I wish she wasn't so picky about these - she really isn't about most things, but granola bars have just never been her thing! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Make a snack mix and take a Baggie - Chex, M&Ms, peanuts,

Open Original Shared Link ( there is a peanut one but I haven't seen them)

Celery sticks or gluten-free pretzels and those little Jif PB cups

Peanut M & Ms

Open Original Shared Link ( US list)

Planters has small packs of peanuts or honey roasted peanuts. I have found them in many places but the convienance store is the most reliable place

Fruit snacks

Dried fruit

go picnics Open Original Shared Link

Lisa Mentor

Karen offer some great options. I could add Nutella on gluten free waffles (Vans) for a snack or breakfast.  We like to dip (Snider's gluten-free) pretzels in Nutella.  You could make  a chex mix from the recipe on the box using Lea&Perrins Worchestershsire Sauce.  Dorrito's(not all, read the label), Frito's or Cheeto's are a good option, with a gluten free dip are always good to keep on hand.  Or there are many gluten-free mexican wraps offered in the frozen food section.

And I think Nate's Tostados are gluten free. (but please verify)

...many of which can satisfy a hungry young lady.

kareng Grand Master

Thought of some more

Cheese sticks/ string cheese are Ok un- refrigeratored for a few hours

Same with little hummus cups and carrot sticks

Individual packets or cups of guacamole or salsa with chips or carrots

mamaw Community Regular

Snack ideas: Can  Do Kids Bar......Quest  bar........ pure  fit  bar........comfort  bar......kind  bars, Uber  bar......pure  fit  cookie.......

pretzels,popcorn, doritos (  read  label), jerky, hormel pepperoni  sticks,  squeesable  fruits....Baby  mum mum  crackers ( adults  love  them too!

go-picnic boxes....gluten freeda wraps....veggies  &  dip.......pocket  fuel----new  item.....

blmoreschi Apprentice

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions! I was really thinking about "shelf stable" snacks just to leave in the bag for weeks on end in case of emergency, but all of the refrigerated/fresh suggestions are great, too. I appreciate the help!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Kind Bars are the only bars I can stomach. The rest - yuck.

Jerky. I found a great brand at Costco - pork teriyaki that was gluten-free. Can't remember the name. They also have some of those prepackaged gluten-free meals GoPicnic or some name like that.

My thyroid is showing, can't remember names...sorry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter is a dancer.  What she kept in her locker where Enjoy Life cookies.  The two packs.  Beef Jerky.  Not all of it gluten-free and oddly enough we used to buy it at the bread outlet!  Applesauce pouches.  Little cups or cans of fruit.  Craisins.  A shelf stable pudding cup would do but she's not big into pudding.  Her studio has a microwave so she could bring a rice cup.  She never packed too many snacks though.  In past years I would sometimes have to pack her a dinner but this year she doesn't need to.

GottaSki Mentor

I would go with glutino pretzels dipped generously in Nutella.

Jerky is better...yet sadly not as fun.

IrishHeart Veteran

Jif makes "to go" cups.

Open Original Shared Link

Karen suggested these to me months ago and they came in handy when we were traveling recently.

A bag of Crunchmaster crackers and some glutino pretzels and a few of those Jif cups in her bag would work.

I keep them in the car myself. We bought a big box at BJs. (if you have one of those nearby) I imagine Sam's club and Costco

might carry them as well.

Another is Glutino Breakfast Bars. I tried the apple ones and they were pretty good.

They reminded me of fig newtons, sort of.

Open Original Shared Link

Nikki2777 Community Regular

I haven't had much luck with 'bars' - Snyder & Glutino pretzels are pretty good.  One company (Z Garden I think) makes shelf-stable squeezable hummus pouches (you can find them on minimus.com).  For a sweet treat Glutino Yogurt Covered Pretzels are beyond good, but probably won't keep in her bag.  Pop chips (though they're made at shared facility I think) - Go Picnics are good to tuck away in her bag.

blmoreschi Apprentice

The two "gluten-free" things that she has really like so far are Udi's bagels and Glutino pretzels. She didn't like the Glutino strawberry bar at all yesterday. I've always thought she was a pretty good eater, but this is making me realize just how particular she is! Her favorite things to eat are red pepper strips and Caesar salads....so as I said, we're doing pretty well on her general diet. I discovered that some of the "disgusting" bread tastes good made into homemade croutons for salad. And we have bought some better bread - the Schar deli bread - but it hasn't been opened yet because she's been taking leftover pasta for lunch everyday this week.

I've always said that she's particular, not picky. For instance, she loves tomatoes - but only in the summer when they are delicious. And she loves cantelope - but only the nice ripe stuff. My other daughter has never been that particular. I guess you could say she has a discerning palate! :)  We will give the Kind bars a try, and I think the peanut butter and pretzels idea is fabulous. And some squeezable applesauce - she will be set!

In the meantime, I just mixed up a batch of Nearly Normal flour from the Celiac:First year book and I'm going to use my regular banana bread recipe and make some. Fingers crossed!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

My son is picky like that. It has to be "perfect", or he wrinkles his nose.

I'm making him cook now, because I'm tired.

I understand its his palate, but still...it has morphed into a beast of its own.

Oh, try popcorn. Pop a bag and pack it in ziplocks. Keeps for a week.

bbuster Explorer

My son loves ZonePerfect bars.  Not all flavors are gluten-free, but the ones he likes are Double Dark Chocolate and Fudge Graham (despite the name these are ok!)  I eat them a lot myself!

karichelle Newbie

Envirokidz bars are kind of like rice krispy treats. They have peanut butter ones and peanut butter chocolate drizzle...both good. Udi's has granola bars too but I haven't tried them. I also like the Van's snack bars - I buy them at Walmart. There's a cranberry almond one and a peanut butter chocolate chip. Can't remember what the third one is, maybe just chocolate chip.

Archived