This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Generally Much Better But New Symptoms Appearing

alesusy

alesusy Explorer

I'm almost 5 months gluten-free and doing generally much better in terms of energy, intestinal problems (bar bad days here and there), mental clearness etc. However I am very surprised to see appearing new symptoms which seem to be typycally celiac and I did not have before. Such as: irregularity of my menstrual cycle and, most notably, the appearing of small pruriginous pustoles on my back, torso, buttocks, shoulders and back of knees. It is nothing major, just mildly annoying; it happens, recedes for a few days, then appears again. It looks very much like DH but I never had this before. Why should it appear when I'm gluten-free and doing generally better? Any advice? So frustrating...

thanks all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Chiana Apprentice

It means that you think you're gluten-free, but you're not.  You're gluten-light.  Look for sources of contamination you might be missing.  I tend to get hit with barley because labelling laws ignore it.  Check BBQ sauces, cereals, and chocolates for malt. 

Along that line, my fiance picked up two containers of dry roasted peanuts from the same manufacturer, and noticed that the larger container (even through it was the same brand, flavor, etc) had wheat starch in it, while the smaller did not.  Read every label, every time.  Lipton started putting barley in their French Onion soup mix, and I figured it out the hard way. :/

Also, do you eat out?  It doesn't matter how careful you are and how particularly people handle your food, restaurants will get you sometimes.  If someone handles a sandwich and then handles your food without changing their gloves, that can be enough.  The amount needed to have a reaction is smaller than is visible to the naked eye. 

alesusy Explorer

thank you. I am as careful as possible - I believe!. I do read labels carefully but of course there may be gluten in products where it is not specified. And it does happen that I have to eat out or at a friend's house. I try to stick to grilled fish or meat and potatoes. I must say, I spent two weeks travelling in London and Prague and I ate out practically every night and I didn't have a problem. I got back to Rome (where I live) and got sick almost immediately with no apparent reason (cramps, big D, flu like symptoms, the works. Unless it really was stomach flu...)

Keep trying, right?

GFinDC Veteran

Yep, keep trying! :D

It is possible to develop new food intolerances Aleusey.  However, since your symptoms appeared suddenly after returning from a trip, I think it makes sense to consider either hidden cross-contaminatoin or possibly a bug or flu.  Or leftover symptoms from food on the trip that didn't really get going until your return.  After a few weeks it will probably be clearer though.  You could go back to basics food-wise for a week and see it it helps.

alesusy Explorer

Oh I have, thank you. I'm OK now. One of the benefits of feeling generally better is that I deal better with "bad" days. I mean I'm able to think now "it will pass"...

GFinDC Veteran

Good to hear Alesusy.  Feeling better is great! :)

Archived