This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Read This If You Could Use A Chuckle :)

NotMollyRingwald

NotMollyRingwald Apprentice

In the face of a "you either laugh or cry" situation, I prefer to laugh.  I've been laughing at myself a lot lately. :)

So, here's my Monday morning edition of "You know your brain is foggy when:"

*While washing your hair you suddenly realize you just put shaving cream in your hair...laughed it off, and the promptly started prepping legs to shave with, that's right, you guessed it, shampoo.

*You call your son the dog's name, then the neighbor's dog's name, and your sister's name before finally just giving up caz now you don't even remember why you were trying to get his attention in the first place.

*You wake up on Monday positive it is Saturday, only to go back to sleep and dream that you overslept on Monday.  Arrive at work late, only to realize you forgot your lunch and are wearing flip flops instead of the black penny loafers you planned on.  No matter how fancy, flip flops just don't go with a suit.  Yep, today has really started out on the wrong foot. LOL *sigh*

Anyone else have some funnies to share??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IrishHeart Veteran

Looks like you've got "brain frogs" as some gal named Linda once said to me on here.

and it looks like your gluten challenge is making things worse (sorry, hon)

and it looks like you might be a celiac, Amy. Hang in there. (shall I break out the pom-poms once more?)-

Laugh some more::

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/87113-you-might-be-celiac-if/?hl=%20you%20%20might%20%20celiac

Literlly lol'd at several of those. Absolutely need the laughs today. Thanks a bunch!!! If I can remember to do it, I'm gonna keep a log of these goofy things to tell my future grandchildren....assuming I can remember their names. Ha!

Brandiwine Contributor

Hahaha thanks for sharing I can relate to all of those! Been there hun! Lol

nvsmom Community Regular

LOL Oh yeah! I can relate.  Just today I washed my hair an extra time because I couldn't remember doing it, put my coffee into the fridge to warm it up rather than the microwave, and returned one of our videos to the library...Oh and I keep calling chihuahuas 'chinchillas' lately.... scary considering I homeschool my kids !! LOL :blink::huh::P

flowerqueen Community Regular

LOL! I've been there too! I have more than one condition that causes brain fog, having fibromyalgia, Coeliacs and under active thyroid. Some of the things I remember doing is putting hair styling mousse on my face instead of face wash; going to the supermarket in odd shoes - I'd been round half way before I looked down and realised. I've also put in odd earrings in each ear. Called one of my daughter by the dog's name and called the dog by one of my daughter's. So I think we are in a very large club. I have a lot of medication to take daily and I have to be very organised with that and write it all down, just in case

VeggieGal Contributor

Do you know its actually refreshing to know I'm not the only one and now we've a club :) ...I've always been known as miss clumsy, tripping over fresh air, spilling things like once when i was a waitress at a wedding, I spilt 20 glasses of Champagne over the bridgegrooms mum (luckily she'd been rude to the staff before then so I didnt get into trouble) ...I got demoted or maybe promoted?! to work behind the bar instead!

My son is always telling people how I've flooded the house 3 times by forgetting I'd left taps running and just generally dizzy by walking into mens toilets and running back out in embarrassment eeeek!. Thing is, my son is following in my footsteps and is known by his teachers as a clumsy child but luckily we both take things in our stride and have learnt to laugh at ourselves :) !!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Last week, or maybe it was two weeks ago, I can hardly remember now... I got my vinegar rinse in my eye when I was in the shower. Later the same day I was cutting some mildly spicy peppers and didn't wash well enough and rubbed my same eye. Burnt like hell omg! Then something like two or three days later my husband had to come tell me while I was in the shower that I had received an unimportant phone call. I didn't hear him come in and was washing my face with a salt scrub and when he popped his head in and said "hey" he scared the crap out of me and I opened my eyes. Sure enough, salt in that same eye. <_< It was not a good week for my eyes.

Generally I'm just clumsy and walk into things, drop things, put things away where they don't belong (milk in the pantry, cereal in the fridge) and all sorts of fun things like that. Much of this has improved gluten free. Sadly, I still have my moments and apparently being a ditz and a klutz are simply personality traits and not celiac symptoms for me. :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

Being a klutz my entire life and often covered in bruises and bumps from my many waltzes into door frames, cabinets I left open, misjudging sidewalk curbs, a. moving escalator and the actual size of the opening on the car door, and earning the nicknames "Calamity Jane" and Lucy Ricardo (you kiddos may have to Google those to get that part) I can relate.

I also have a few scars and permanent nerve damage in one finger from a few culinary mishaps. 

This is all strange because I am a very graceful dancer. Yet, I can trip on those ghost cracks in the sidewalk and skin my knee and palms like a 7 year old. I'm a Dork.

I can honestly say I am less inclined to do those things 2 years post-DX. :)!! yup, it's true. No more gluten head makes you "smarter"..It could also be

that I am more focused and not stressed and hurrying as well.

I am, however, under a life-time ban from using hedge trimmers and the mandoline in the kitchen. :ph34r:  spoil sport hubs took 'em away.

I mean, why?....what's a few sliced electrical cords and the tip of my finger? It grew back.

Brandiwine Contributor

Hahaha lmbo! I love this thread, now I not only have myself to laugh at but you guys too lol!!! This past week I was at a clients house doing windows I had just finished both sides of the sliding glass door turned to put my stuff down ( which apparently was long enough to forget the door was closed) and walked right into it! Face first! My oldest couldnt breath he was laughing so hard, I think the dog was even laughing at me, needless to say I had to re-do the door :-/

The floor trips me on the daily, I have used sugar instead of salt while cooking and vise versa. I miss my turns here where I live all the time and I know this place like back of my hand, I will go to the preschool to pick up my oldest son not realizing I'm at the wrong school until I'm walking in the door and everyone's looking at me!!! I think the biggest thing though is looking like I've lost my marbles because not only will strangers witness my clumsy self or absent minded act they then witness me laughing like a crazed fool!!!! Lol

Greebo115 Rookie

OMG, I love this thread!

I've done just about all those things....even the "going out in odd shoes" stunt.

I usually have cuts and burns on my hands/forearms from cooking and luckily the bruises/black eyes fade pretty quickly after falling down the stairs or SMACKING my face on a door.

I'd like to add, nearly knocked myself out getting out of the car...far too often and shaking this man's hand after a job interview and confidently trying to leave by a door which turned out to a cupboard.

flowerqueen Community Regular

LOL VeggieGal, you've just reminded me:- I sometimes leave taps on. One day I couldn't work out why the radiators were stone cold, in the middle of winter. I kept checking them, even though the boiler was on, and had been for hours. I even called the plumber out,to fix the fault. Then about two hours later I went into the utility room and saw the hot tap running down the drain! I had to ring the plumber up to tell him it was a false alarm and told him what I'd done. Very embarrassing!

ncdave Apprentice

The other day I went to clean my glasses, took them off, sprayed them with cleaner, and put them right back on without thinking to wipe cleaner off.

IrishHeart Veteran

and shaking this man's hand after a job interview and confidently trying to leave by a door which turned out to a cupboard.

:lol:  omg, greebo, that's hilarious. 

Brandiwine Contributor

I still have a knot on my head from smacking myself with my car door! I've done it opening and closing it! Everytime I read a new post I remember one to add! Fun! Genius idea to start this!

howlnmad Newbie

I got news for all of you. You don't have to have celiac to do some of these things. Just ask my wife, she'll rat me out.:-x

kareng Grand Master

I got news for all of you. You don't have to have celiac to do some of these things. Just ask my wife, she'll rat me out.:-x

I know...most moms go thru every child's name, the pets' names and the next door neighbor kids names before getting the right kid! We just like to blame it on Celiac rather than old age or drinking! :)

I am, however, under a life-time ban from using hedge trimmers and the mandoline in the kitchen.  :ph34r:  spoil sport hubs took 'em away.

I mean, why?....what's a few sliced electrical cords and the tip of my finger? It grew back.

Irish - This gives me hope.  :rolleyes:

I am, however, under a life-time ban from using hedge trimmers and the mandoline in the kitchen.  :ph34r:  spoil sport hubs took 'em away.

Yeah, that seems a little over protective, doesn't it?!?!  :P  HAHAHA

I still have a knot on my head from smacking myself with my car door!

Brandiwine, I did this today. True story!!

You all are cracking me up with your stories. :lol:  Makes me feel more "normal" too!! B)  LOL

I know...most moms go thru every child's name, the pets' names and the next door neighbor kids names before getting the right kid! We just like to blame it on Celiac rather than old age or drinking!  :)

LOL!  I don't even have old age to blame yet!!  ;)

kareng Grand Master

LOL! I don't even have old age to blame yet!! ;)

Blame it on the damage your pregnancies/ births did. Or your hub. I never had grey hair until I married my hub! I did have a little before I had kids, so I blame it on hub.

Tripping, etc can be blamed on the dog or cat. They scoot away so quickly.... Don't have a pet? The blasted neighborhood dog ran in the door!

GottaSki Mentor

:D  :lol:  :P  B)  :o  ;)  :rolleyes:  :lol:  :D  :D  :D  :D

yep...I have lived every one of these and so much more...one funtastic thread...so here is the deal....I am healthier and stronger than ever, but long days still kick me in the ass...sooooo.....i will have to stop and think of all my frogginess -- my kids will provide much more good fodder...thank you all for reminding me how far I have come....

and yes you can too!!!!

many froggy moments to follow......

IrishHeart Veteran

Klutzy is contagious. Hubs took off a bit of skin with the mandoline once, too, truth be told. That thing has been benched, :unsure: 

I just blame celiac for everything. Easier than admitting my boo boos .

Adalaide Mentor

My Grammy spent her entire life extremely healthy until she had lyme a few years ago. She still managed to always call me by one of her two daughters' names when I was little. One because I looked like her and the other because I acted like her. I managed to call my girls by the wrong name on occasion also.

Today we brought some groceries home and while we usually take my Jeep everywhere, lately I have been allowing my husband to drive his car since it is cheaper on gas. This means groceries in a real trunk. Well I managed to bend in to grab a bag and whack my head right off the trunk. Later I was getting something out of the car and whacked the back of my head leaning up out of the car.

My husband also frequently catches me giving door frames dirty looks. He always asks me what happened. The doorway walked into me. Obviously. <_<

nvsmom Community Regular

Adalaide - Ouch! Darn doors....

After dinner today I was telling my 5 year old to "Put on your socks!" as he was heading out the door to find a toy he left on the snowy and wet law. He is holding up his foot and showing me his stocking foot and I'm yelling to "Put on your socks!"  Finally my hubby started yelling down the stars: "Shoes! She means shoes!"

I just started smacking my head on the table. :blink:

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Laughter does good like a medicine:

We have an electric opener for the rear doors of our van.  One day I went somewhere by myself.  I stood by the front door of the van punching the button over and over.  Another day, I took our other car.  Right you are, I stood outside the door pressing the button waiting for the doors to open.  Finally, my son said this car doesn't work, Mom.  The next time we took that car, my son ran out and opened the door before I arrived.  The moral of this story is, always take the kids.  They will cover for you!

Archived