• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Maybe A Mistake?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi!

I've had digestive troubles all my life - diarrhea  three to four times a week, stomach bloating, and within the last six months, daily diarrhea and extreme pain before bowel movements.  Two weeks ago, I finally decided enough was enough, and I stopped eating gluten to see if that was the problem.

Great news - I feel a lot better, and I'm only having diarrhea every other day or so.

Bad news - I just found this forum today, and now I realize that I probably should have stayed on gluten until I could be tested.  I called my PCP today, and they can see me in three days for testing.

Would it help to go back on gluten right away for the three days, or should I just see what happens at the blood test, and if it doesn't work, do a gluten challenge?

Thanks everyone!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Yes, I would definitely go back onto gluten if you are able. Some people stop making autoantibodies almost immediately, and if you are one of those, being gluten-free for two weeks could cause a false negative. resume eating gluten so you are making autoantibodies that can be detected by the blood tests.

Better yet, delay your test for a week or two so your test is as accurate as possible... if you can stand the wait.  ;)

Yes Goldi, three days off gluten will not likely mess up your results.  But insist that the below tests, be run in it's totality.  Print it off and require the full panel.  Insist if not demand. Many doctors are not Celiac Aware and don't order the full panel, and then the tests are not diagnostic in the end.  So request it ALL -the full Panel.

The following are the celiac specific blood tests:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

Good luck