This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Problems With Dairy?

ashesmom

ashesmom Rookie

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac a year and a half ago...She is 6. Lately she has been having tummy aches again, but I know she's not sick....It is just like it was when we first found out, but not as bad....Anyhow, I racked my brain thinking about what she could have possibly been consuming that has gluten in it, but can not come up with anything.....But she does eat a lot of dairy. She has never had problems with dairy before, even right after her endoscopy. Is there a way she can be tested for lactose intolerance, and is that common with Celiacs?

-Katie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Initially gluten and dairy are offen suggested to eliminate.  And when the villi are healed, dairy can be introduced successfully. And many here have recognized additional intollerances over time.

I am sure you have already reviewed her possible gluten intake (perhaps school or a friends house) and then, go very dairy light for a couple of weeks.  Take one step at a time, so if there is a resolve, you can pin point the problem.

Too much dairy for me will make me very uncomfortable, but does not cause me pain. But I know that I cannot eat what I used to eat.  I'm dairly light. Maybe, I have a mild intolerance.

And yes, there are allergy tests, but I am not familiar with tests  for children.  Others will post.

I have often admired parents with children that have Celiac, or any other "issue".  It is truely a devotion above most others.

Deaminated Marcus Apprentice

Dairy products like ice cream and cottage cheese and yogurt have alot of other ingredients mixed in them.

There could be gluten in that list or she's reacting to some other ingredient.

Once when I switched yogurt brands to one that had a lot more ingredients, my pain returned.

She could have Lactose intolerance or a Casein intolerance or whey protein intolerance.

Search:  "Bovine Beta Casein Enteropathy" 

• 2 weeks later...
GwenO Apprentice

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac a year and a half ago...She is 6. Lately she has been having tummy aches again, but I know she's not sick....It is just like it was when we first found out, but not as bad....Anyhow, I racked my brain thinking about what she could have possibly been consuming that has gluten in it, but can not come up with anything.....But she does eat a lot of dairy. She has never had problems with dairy before, even right after her endoscopy. Is there a way she can be tested for lactose intolerance, and is that common with Celiacs?

-Katie

My 12 year old daughter had to go off milk - she can still eat yogurt etc.  She also gets tummy aches from eggs.  She ate both of these things before.  So not sure why, but we've switched to almond milk and things have improved dramatically.

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

Personally, I think most of the world's population has issues with dairy products (ie - breastmilk of cows that is not designed to be eaten by anything other than calves). I have read that mammals of all species tend to stop making lactase (or, at least, adequate amounts of it to digest milk) during childhood as adult mammals do not require breastmilk beyond infancy / early childhood.

My eldest is dairy free, and made great improvements once it was removed from his diet. Now, my whole house is dairy free, and my youngest (now 8 months) will never drink cow's milk.

Almond milk is a real hit around here. I also love coconut milk.

And don't worry about calcium - green leafy veggies, soy, almond milk, etc etc are all great sources of calcium. And they're easier to absorb than the calcium in cow's milk (which is designed to be absorbed by baby cows, not humans).

Ok, anti-dairy rant over. ;-)

nvsmom Community Regular

Good dairy rant.  :D  And I agree with all of it. There really is no biological need to drink a cow's breast milk. Eliminating it is worth a shot.

There could be another food intolerance. Corn, rice, soy and nightshades are often culprits as well as artificial colouring or sweeteners. Perhaps keeping a food and symptom  journal will help you sort out what is at fault in her diet... because I'm sure that you are not busy enough, right?  ;)

Best wishes. I hope you figure it out soon.

mamaupupup Contributor

Hi!  You are not alone...I have a 6.5 year old little girl who developed tummy aches over 8 months ago.  We have eliminated a TON of things and haven't found an answer yet.  Here are some things that we did discover were triggers for "big" tummy aches (she has pain all day, every day though...).  She did have a "KUB" xray which showed she was constipated and we have followed "protocol" very well on that front and still she has no relief from her pain.

- Ruled out gluten cross contamination (we have a dedicated gluten-free house because 3/4 of us have Celiac and we homeschool, so I know what she'd exposed to...).  We confirmed this by doing another round of bloodwork

- Ruled out parasites (like Giardia) via bloodwork

- Ruled out fructose malabsorption by doing a lengthy (2 month) low fructose diet

- Ruled out SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) by doing a breath test

- Ruled out various things through an abdominal ultrasound

- Ruled out ovarian cysts through a lower abdominal ultrasound

Dietary changes we've adopted:

- No cows milk.  Only goat milk products in moderation.  We rely more on coconut milk these days when a recipe calls for something of the sort.

- No grains of any kind. 

- No polyols (look up FODMAP) so no sorbitol and other "ol" ending sweeteners

- No avocado (a trigger food for her, interestingly high naturally in polyols)

- No nightshades (tomato is a BIG trigger for her).  Between going gluten-free and nightshade free the good news is she has no muscle/joint pain.

- No legumes of any kind.

We have pretty much adopted a paleo - type diet.

Things I'm still sorting out:

- Does she have an egg sensitivity?  (I did two weeks off with maybe light improvement...still deciding what to do next)

- Could she have a histamine intolerance?

- Is her gut flora ok?  (We have added in sauerkraut and tons of probiotics...)

- Does she have an anatomical abnormality?

xoxo to you and your little girl...hope we both find answers soon!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived