This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Red Food Dye?

LadyK

LadyK Rookie

I tried some of those soft drink mixes that come in a tube, and you pour it in your water bottle and shake it up. When I tried the red kind, I experienced symptoms that I would associate with eating gluten, mainly abdominal pain. Does anyone else react to red food dye? I'm thinking maybe it isn't gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

There is no  reason red dye is not gluten free.  Sometimes people, with or without Celiac, have found they have a reaction to certain color dyes.  Is there anything different about the red one other than dye?  Did they use a different sugar substitute?

shadowicewolf Proficient

Red dye is often made of things that aren't good for you unless it is food based (such as strawberry, tomato, or beets). I've heard of it being made from bugs.

Personally, I'm allergic to it. It does all sorts of weird things to my tongue (loss of taste, pain, etc).

• 2 weeks later...
Juliebove Rising Star

You can be allergic to dye.  But it is also possible that there was gluten in your mix.  I don't personally know of any that contain gluten that are on the market now, but some years back there  was a sugar free fruit drink that wasn't gluten free.  That drink is still on the market today but it is now gluten free.  I remember buying the gluteny ones for cheap.  Gluten isn't an issue for me.  What was the brand of the drink mix?  It is also possible that you have issues with whatever sweetener that is in the mix.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I recommend avoiding all artificial colors and flavors.  They just are not food, so why eat them?

• 2 months later...
ValeriaZ Rookie

Red40 is a known allergen and a very bad one

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Scott Adams replied to Linedancegal's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

25 year biopsy confirmed/ate pizza with no ill effects?

2. - trents replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

3. - Tlbaked13 replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

4. - cristiana replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

5. - Tlbaked13 replied to djmu's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Peripheral Neuropathy

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Mimi of 4
    Newest Member
    Mimi of 4
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Scott Adams
      The number of genes associated with celiac disease is more than two, but there are two main genes that are commonly tested for celiac disease susceptibility. These genes are HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8. HLA-DQ2: The majority of individuals with celiac disease (about 90-95%) carry the HLA-DQ2 gene. HLA-DQ8: Around 5-10% of individuals with celiac disease have the HLA-DQ8 gene. Other Genes: While HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 are the primary genes associated with celiac disease, having these genes doesn't guarantee that someone will develop celiac disease. Additionally, a small percentage of individuals with celiac disease don't have either of these genes. This suggests that other genetic factors may also play a role, though they are less common. This article has more information about the genes associated with celiac disease:    
    • Scott Adams
      The whole point of the gluten-free diet is to send the disease into remission. For some this process means strong reactions when exposed to even trace amounts of gluten, while for others it seems they have little to no reactions when exposed to larger amounts of gluten. In either case, research has shown that repeated gluten exposure will trigger the autoimmune reaction that leads to inflammation and various damage, as well as to possible additional autoimmune diseases. 
    • JustGemi
      I just got two test results from bloodwork I recently did. According to my numbers, it's looking like Celiac disease but I cannot see my doctor until next month. Can this be true? My numbers are so elevated this is ALARMING! Tissue Transglutamine 120.9 Gliadin Antibody  IGA/IGC 62.1 Please shed some light on my numbers....  
    • trents
      Christiana makes a good point. Long term undiagnosed and untreated (by a gluten-free diet) celiac disease inevitibly results in vitamin and mineral deficiencies because of the damage done to the villous lining of the small bowel - the part of the intestines where essentially all nutrition is absorbed. Keep eating plenty of gluten until all testing for celiac disease is complete so as to render valid test results. Beginning a gluten-free diet ahead of time allows healing to take place and compromises testing. But if it turns out you are diagnosed as having celiac disease, you will want to begin high potency vitamin and mineral supplementation along with serious gluten free eating.
    • Tlbaked13
      Thank you guys for your input I am loving this forum more and more and it hasn't been a hour!