This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

22Yr Old Male, 130Lbs , Possible Celiac?

rm7390

rm7390 Newbie

I have been reading a lot lately on celiac and it seems that I could be a candidate for celiac disease. My gluten-free seems to also be convinced that I must have this.

For one, I am underweight and it is seemingly impossible to gain weight. I seemingly have many of the most common symptoms but the one that stuck out most to be is acid reflux. From what I've read this is only common in males. It is very very easy for me to get terrible acid reflux at night and it will keep me awake until I take pepto bismol or a few antacids. I will get acid reflux even when I don't eat before going to bed. 

The second symptom that stuck out most to be are my bowel movements. From what I understand if I have floating stools then there is a chance that I could have some kind of malabsorption. Depending on what I eat my bowel movements are sometimes quite painful. For example foods high in fat such as Mcdonalds will cause stomach pain around the abdomen and bad bowel movements. 

My next symptom I don't know what it could do with but I was hoping someone could help me. I have a somewhat physical job and sometimes when I am working, notably after drinking something with caffeine or eating something i get a dull pain on my lower left abdomen where my side meets my hipbone, its always on the left and always in the same spot and it isn't a pulled muscle. 

Anyway I was looking to see what others thought , thanks for any advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Deaminated Marcus Apprentice

This is a sample Celiac panel.   You have to be eating bread and gluten before doing this blood test.

Total IgA
Transglutaminase IgA tTG-IgA
Deaminated Gliadin IgA DGP-IgA
Deaminated Gliadin IgG DGP-IgG

I resolved my night time reflux when I stopped using pepper on my food.

Some of the symptoms you describe could be something serious so do go see a medical doctor.

Tell him-her everything you wrote in your post.

nvsmom Community Regular

It could very well be celiac disease or NCGI (non-celiac gluten intolerance). Marcus listed most of the blood tests that test for celiac disease, you could also request the tTG IgG, EMA IgA, and the AGA IgA or IgG (which are older tests). You must be consuming gluten I the weeks prior to testing.

If your celiac test come back negative, you could have NCGI. Unfortunately there is no test for it other than to eat gluten-free and observe if your symptoms change over the following weeks or months.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Archived