This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxiety!

Dozey

Dozey Apprentice

I have just been reading some old posts and discovered a thread about anxiety. What a relief! Not that I would wish it on anyone, but anxiety is one of my worst symptoms and I'm pleased to know I'm not alone. The very worst thing for me is the feeling of not being part of the real world. Like I am locked in myself and can't find the key to get out. It makes me fear I am going mad and will never be a normal person again. Could this also be due to gluten?

Thank you

Jo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

I have just been reading some old posts and discovered a thread about anxiety. What a relief! Not that I would wish it on anyone, but anxiety is one of my worst symptoms and I'm pleased to know I'm not alone. The very worst thing for me is the feeling of not being part of the real world. Like I am locked in myself and can't find the key to get out. It makes me fear I am going mad and will never be a normal person again. Could this also be due to gluten?

Thank you

Jo

Yes, it could.

Dozey Apprentice

Yes, it could.

Many thanks

Jo

dark-angel-warriore Newbie

Thank you

Jo

Yes, I have that.

taynichaf Contributor

I have very bad anxiety too! I think it is due to gluten... this gluten challenge has me overwhelmed about the littlest things!

Dozey Apprentice

Thanks dark angel and taynichaf. As I said I wouldn't wish it on anyone but it is reassuring to know others understand it, and that it has a possible cause.

Jo

VeggieGal Contributor

Thank you

Jo

Could also be your thyroid Jo. I suffer too :( . Its possible that because I've cut out gluten then I don't need so much levothyroxine anymore so need blood works doing again.

I'm currently doing a slow gentle detox and finding ways to de-stress to help support a healthy adrenal function.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dozey Apprentice

Hi VeggieGal, i have recently had my thyroid checked and been told my dosage is correct, although of course I haven't gone gluten free yet. Just hope it will go away soon, I don't like it :)

Jo

VeggieGal Contributor

Hi VeggieGal, i have recently had my thyroid checked and been told my dosage is correct, although of course I haven't gone gluten free yet. Just hope it will go away soon, I don't like it :)

Jo

Well hopefully the gluten free lifestyle may help ..just might take some time .

Dozey Apprentice

Well hopefully the gluten free lifestyle may help ..just might take some time .

Ok, thank you

Jo

jhol Enthusiast

Thank you

Jo

hi dozey,

you have just described virtually to the letter exactly how i have felt nearly all my life. ive tried to describe it as "being trapped in a bubble and i can see whats going on in the world but im unable to join in" or "being trapped in a perspex box and i can see out but nobody can see me" ive been gluten free now just over 3 months and to be honest i dont really think about stuff like that anymore. is that lack of gluten? or just that your heads in a better place? probably a mix of both- i find im finding it easier in social situations too! 

hope that helps, good luck with going gluten free x

Dozey Apprentice

Hi jhol, and thank you yes it does help and gives me a bit of hope. I hope you keep seeing improvements and am pleased you are feeling better.

Jo

Miss-Marie Rookie

Since I first got the symptoms of celiac I've been extremely anxious all the time, and I feel like im not apart of the real world too. I think my anxiety is mainly from the stomach issues I've been having - which means that I always have to plan the nearest bathroom etc, glad to know I'm not alone on this one x

Dozey Apprentice

Since I first got the symptoms of celiac I've been extremely anxious all the time, and I feel like im not apart of the real world too. I think my anxiety is mainly from the stomach issues I've been having - which means that I always have to plan the nearest bathroom etc, glad to know I'm not alone on this one x

Hi Miss Marie, it's a horrible feeling isn't it, the anxiety and unrealness. I am glad I'm not alone too. I have just had my first session of CBT and the therapist says she has never come across DP before! She did say though that she thinks my anxiety syems from some thing physical rather than being purely a mental problem. Hope things get better for you soon.

Jo

English Chris Newbie

Thank you

Jo

I'm a 15 stone 6ft 5 man who doesnt do illness - six months ago I was flying a helicopter, I got on a plane on my own last year and drove across Florida. Three months ago I was diagnosed with Coeliac. Over the weekend I was obviously contaminated by a large quantity of gluten - Tuesday morning on the way to work I was hit with the mother of all Anxiety attacks, the top of my head went numb, I went dizzy and the pressure in my head had me on the verge of concerning myself that I was going to black out/ die or have a stroke. I drove myself to A&E. My blood pressure was normal, pulse a healthy 68bpm, but I really did not feel myself, they said it was a stress attack. Yesterday I cried like a baby in front of my girlfriend (I dont do crying), I felt I was losing control of myself. This morning I woke feeling the same - the release of adrenalin makes my legs shake. I got out of bed put my trainers on and ran probably the quickest mile of my life, 30 mins later I still feel dizzy, my head is still numb, but the panic has gone. I am due another check up this morning with my doc and will hopefully rule out other possible conditions, which judging on the speed I ran that mile I would imagine would rule out MS? When you feel you are slipping into the Anxiety imagine yourself in a good place and focus on it, stop your mind from racing, that makes it worse, easier said than done I know. I feel relieved that 99% this is the cause of gluten and Coeliac. I wish you well and I hope you improve - it is easy for it to dent your confidence in going out the door, dont let it.

Dozey Apprentice

I'm a 15 stone 6ft 5 man who doesnt do illness - six months ago I was flying a helicopter, I got on a plane on my own last year and drove across Florida. Three months ago I was diagnosed with Coeliac. Over the weekend I was obviously contaminated by a large quantity of gluten - Tuesday morning on the way to work I was hit with the mother of all Anxiety attacks, the top of my head went numb, I went dizzy and the pressure in my head had me on the verge of concerning myself that I was going to black out/ die or have a stroke. I drove myself to A&E. My blood pressure was normal, pulse a healthy 68bpm, but I really did not feel myself, they said it was a stress attack. Yesterday I cried like a baby in front of my girlfriend (I dont do crying), I felt I was losing control of myself. This morning I woke feeling the same - the release of adrenalin makes my legs shake. I got out of bed put my trainers on and ran probably the quickest mile of my life, 30 mins later I still feel dizzy, my head is still numb, but the panic has gone. I am due another check up this morning with my doc and will hopefully rule out other possible conditions, which judging on the speed I ran that mile I would imagine would rule out MS? When you feel you are slipping into the Anxiety imagine yourself in a good place and focus on it, stop your mind from racing, that makes it worse, easier said than done I know. I feel relieved that 99% this is the cause of gluten and Coeliac. I wish you well and I hope you improve - it is easy for it to dent your confidence in going out the door, dont let it.

Thank you Chris, the anxiety and spaciness is the worst thing I think. It robs us of everything positive,Courage, confidence and determination. My blood result was negative for Celiac but I think I may try cutting out Gluten anyway. My vit D was low so that I think can contribute to amxiety etc as can low b12 which I also have. I hope things improve for you soon.

Fern

Archived