This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Altercations

itsmebiancap

itsmebiancap Rookie

I recently found out that I had a gluten intolerance. When I first found out I was losing weight rapidly, maybe 1 pound a day. Then I became super busy (as my life usually is) being on the go was wierd since I could only go now to Chic Fil A or Wendy's. Before I really didn't eat out but now I had to since I didn't have much better choices at home. Through out the process I found out that I cannot eat alot of things I loved before (even whole grain). I am not sure if I should keep trying to test the boundaries of this intolerance because of the pain in the reaction that I get when I do have something my body can't handle, as its intolerable.

The problem began when I started craving milk-products (dairy). Prior to this diagnosis, I wasn't a big dairy fan and it was on occasion mostly having to do with a cheese or cheese-sauce. The first month or so I was craving dairy crazily I am not sure if this is normal or not. I started to eat more dairy also because I became full with dairy. Than I would feel overfilled. It was a harsh cycle of feeling like I was starving to feeling like I was overfilled. Now I weighed myself and my weight has went to its original setting and increased. This I am not sure of..

My diet has consisted of mostly meat (to fill me) and than rice/veg on the side. I need help not for just the weight resolution but also for satiety feelings.

I have been taking supplements. The probiotic and whole food supplement are both vegetarian based. The wheat grass is gluten free. The wheat grass gives me no problem. Yet the supplements make me feel nauseau (usnsure why).

This is my problem: I haven't lost weight as I told you I gained it all back (as of 2 weeks ago, so I may have gained more). I haven't lost much inches, maybe 1 from my leg, 1 from my hip, 2 from my love handles area and 1 from my waist. I am not complaining about weight loss here this is the puzzling part though... all my old clothes actually do not fit me. Pre-gluten I was so bloated obviously so I could fit a 10/12 jeans/suits (fitted). Now I have some size 8/10 jeans that are super loose. Even I recently bought a size 6 that was too big (which probably just happen to be that pair). How is this possible?

My stats are 5'9 1/2 and 174 lbs (as of two weeks ago)

..Is this normal on a gluten free diet? Is this permanent? Should I worry?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gatita Enthusiast

Have you been tested at all for celiac? I would start with that if you can, although it would require you to go back on gluten for a bit.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of us are dairy intolerant in the first year of going gluten-free.

I'm a little confused about your weight concerns, are you worried about gaining or losing, or are you trying to do one or the other?

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Getting enough good fat would help you to feel full  Good fats as recommended by my nutritionist would include butter, coconut oil, or olive oil.  I have been recommended to have about a tablespoon of fat per meal.  Just so you know, I am not a blimp from this, I am 5'7" and 160 lbs.  I know people don't recommend eating fat, but it gives energy and makes you feel full.

taynichaf Contributor

Getting enough good fat would help you to feel full  Good fats as recommended by my nutritionist would include butter, coconut oil, or olive oil.  I have been recommended to have about a tablespoon of fat per meal.  Just so you know, I am not a blimp from this, I am 5'7" and 160 lbs.  I know people don't recommend eating fat, but it gives energy and makes you feel full.

Yes. Fats are very filling! People seem to be afraid of them thinking that eating more fat will make you fat... WRONG. More healthy fat will probably help you lose weight! It keeps you full longer and helps you feel satisfied. I realized this when i started a low carb/high fat diet... which is actually how I found I have a gluten problem! I droped 8 pounds in 2 weeks :)

Are you upset about getting smaller?!?

itsmebiancap Rookie

Have you been tested at all for celiac? I would start with that if you can, although it would require you to go back on gluten for a bit.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of us are dairy intolerant in the first year of going gluten-free.

I'm a little confused about your weight concerns, are you worried about gaining or losing, or are you trying to do one or the other?

I havent been tested for celiac but I have been thinking of taking that step lately the thing is going back on gluten would really be painful... do you know how long I would have to eat gluten to have accurate test results?

Also, my weight kept shifting very rapidly up and down but now I think it stabalized...

itsmebiancap Rookie

Thank you for the reply and I apologize about taking so long to respond. I actually have been following this advice. It has helped me feel alot fuller. I actally read this comment when it was posted but I couldn't remember my log in :( but thanks alot it has helped tremendously!

itsmebiancap Rookie

Yes. Fats are very filling! People seem to be afraid of them thinking that eating more fat will make you fat... WRONG. More healthy fat will probably help you lose weight! It keeps you full longer and helps you feel satisfied. I realized this when i started a low carb/high fat diet... which is actually how I found I have a gluten problem! I droped 8 pounds in 2 weeks :)

Are you upset about getting smaller?!?

Yes, I think its because fats have a bad name so that is why people are afraid without understanding the good fats like MUFA are out there, lol.

I wasn't upset that I was getting smaller but just how rapid I was losing the weight. I think within two weeks I lost maybe12lbs than my weight stayed but my pants size kept dropping. It was like every day I literally woke up thinner no matter how much I ate. Than  the weight came back but my pants size was still very small, so I was confused. I usually measure my self but because this whole gluten experience seems surreal I started weighing and measuring myself for accuracy. Anyhow, yesterday I weighed myself and I am 168 (at the beg when my weight was dropping within two weeks I went from 174 to 164) so I actually only gained 4lbs back and a few inches is why my pants now are either fitted or tight again. This whole journey is quite confusing since everyone may experience similar or different reactions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived