This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kinnikinnick Angel Food Cake Mix

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

I ordered four boxes of Kinnikinnick Angel Food Cake Mix, since I have not had my favorite cake in over six years and it's strawberry season here.

I am a bit dismayed when the additional ingredients call for 12 egg whites.  Not a worry about the egg whites, but what to do with a dozen egg yokes. Any suggestions?

I must have this cake with sugared strawberries and the juice and whipped cream and it summer and stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

custard? homemade mayo?

this?

Open Original Shared Link

Lisa Mentor

custard? homemade mayo?

this?

Yumm caramel creme brulee...on my short list of favorites.  I printed it  out.  Thank you.

Adalaide Mentor

Last time I made angel food cake I made lemon curd to top it with and ice cream with my yolks. You don't need an ice cream maker to make ice cream, just patience and an alarm to remind you to check on it frequently.

tarnalberry Community Regular

1st - you totally do not need to buy a mix for this sort of cake.  It's flour and sugar, and most flours work just fine.

2nd - when I did angel food cupcakes for my daughter's second birthday, I used the egg yolks to make homemade ice cream.  it was super yummy, and goes well with strawberries and angel food cake. ;)

CommonTater Contributor

We bought this mix last week at Green market, it was super yummy.

• 2 weeks later...
love2travel Mentor

If you think the mix is good, try homemade - just as easy and more delicious!  I did a taste test. 

My favourite way to use egg yolks is in Zabaglione.  I sometimes throw in an extra couple of yolks into frittatas.  My husband would say chocolate pots de creme would be his first pick.  They are fantastic!  And don't forget Hollandaise.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

karichelle Newbie

I think I would just buy the egg whites in a carton and use what the package calls for...seems like it would be cheaper since you wouldn't be having to find a use for all the yolks.

Lisa Mentor

I think I would just buy the egg whites in a carton and use what the package calls for...seems like it would be cheaper since you wouldn't be having to find a use for all the yolks.

I appreciate all the suggestions and have put some to use. But, this is by far the most practical use/method ever!  Duh... Thank you so must for that suggestion Karichelle! ;)   Some times we (or I) get too far into the forest to see the trees. :rolleyes:

I appreciate all the suggestions and have put some to use. But, this is by far the most practical use/method ever!  Duh... Thank you so must for that suggestion Karichelle! ;)   Some times we (or I) get too far into the forest to see the trees. :rolleyes:

Egg whites in a carton won't work.  Carton egg whites (by law) must be pasteurized.  The process of heating them for pateurization prevents them from being able to form stiff peaks when beating them to incorporate air.  (And I have verified this by personal experience. It really doesn't work.)

There's chemistry for ya!

nvsmom Community Regular

Egg whites in a carton won't work.  Carton egg whites (by law) must be pasteurized.  The process of heating them for pateurization prevents them from being able to form stiff peaks when beating them to incorporate air.  (And I have verified this by personal experience. It really doesn't work.)

There's chemistry for ya!

I have used that cake mix with egg whites quite a few times and it turned out fine each time. It's possible I am buying unpasteurized egg whites (I never noticed) but egg whites from a carton can work.

That is my boys' favourite type of cake - puffy sugar cake. Yummy.  LOL

A regular cake can use eggs in a carton. Angel food cake is functionally different from a standard cake, and relies upon creating a matrix of egg protein and air to have its height and texture. If you've managed to whip carton egg whites into stiff peaks, well, more power to you, and congrats!

Archived