• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Staying At Extended Family's House For A Week

4 posts in this topic

Starting on Thursday, I'm going to be staying with my cousin, aunt and uncle in Vegas for about a week. My cousin is graduating from college so there are going to be about 30 people in the house during the day and for a lot of the meals, especially during the weekend. I'm bringing foil, soy sauce, cutting boards, and pastas to get me through till my parents will be there on Saturday and we can go to the grocery store. They're being really great about listening to what needs to happen including finding gluten free cupcakes for the graduation celebration and notifying the restaurant (they already have a gluten-free menu) and asking lots of questions. And I'm already planning on spending a lot of time in the kitchen so I know exactly what's safe and what's not.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

What about a strainer? I have one that is smaller and more of a scooper (kinda like a ladle) i use when i've only made a little bit.

Sounds like you're armed and dangerous to wicked gluten.    Way to go!!!    My only suggestion would be to  add easy snacks, like sunflower seeds or nuts.

I'm thinking like Marilyn- some filling snacks.  More than you could need just incase things don't work out the way you think it will.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Tracy210t

• Topics

• Are you sure he didn't eat pizza or a cookie?  If you weren't there.....  just a thought.  And, is this his usual reaction to gluten?  Do you really know that it is from gluten..... I mean...positive he got some gluten and this happens?  For example - I realized after I ate something that it wasn't what I thought it was.... so I know my reaction from gluten for certain.   The thing is, it just seems extreme for a teeny amount of gluten.  I just don't want you to miss something because you blame it on gluten.  It's a natural thing to blame everything on gluten. I feel this is his reaction to gluten, he needs to learn to recognize that it is irrational and learn to manage it.  If that means he stays in his room with soft music and a punching bag.... no matter what the cause of this episode - you definitely need to talk about it.  Maybe several times.  I know with my boys, you might have to explain what concerns you and maybe a brief why it concerns you ( tho this behavior probably needs no " why "it worries you).   They may need to think about it for a while or give you a partial answer today and discuss more in depth tomorrow.
    • Potato chips are usually gluten-free. If there is a concern, it is in an added flavor. I haven't seen a problem except for some BBQ flavors, and even then rarely. Wheat must be declared on the label in Canada and the USA. Rye and Barley do not need to be declared in the US, but in practice they are not hidden. That leaves dextrose which is a pure sugar and is gluten-free no matter where from what it was derived. Potato chips are very high in salt. The potatoes themselves provide a lot of sugar through carbohydrates. Just saying...
    • Hi, Welcome. Have you taken your son to the doctor yet? If you believe gluten is his problem, then I suggest you talk with your doctor about getting him tested. Could he be behaving badly due to reasons other than diet?
    • Hello, my 10 year old son, who is celiac, ate some potato chips (which likely had wheat or dextrose as ingredients as they were flavored chips) today at a end of school year gathering. He became very argumentative and misplaced several items in his room and blamed his siblings and us. As the evening wore on, my son became increasingly irrational, yelling and screaming, saying that he felt fine and that he couldn't understand why he was acting badly. My husband and I had no success reasoning with him over the course of hours and eventually he ended up in his room and fell asleep. Tonight was a "severe" outburst with my son almost picking an argument with everything and anyone. It was extremely difficult just to be in the house with him as he makes "grumping" noises and is incorrigible when he gets into gluten. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this age kid and the behavioral manifestations of accidentally eating things that contain gluten. My husband and I felt completely wiped out after this episode. I fear that my son's behavior, if not contained, will lead him to bad choices/ irrational choices and I know I can't be with him every minute of the day. After this episode passes in a few days, he will likely be reasonable but how do we get him to understand how he is when glutened? Should we bring up this episode and talk about it?
    • Barilla makes great tasting gluten free pasta, Etalia makes a great artisan style bread, Canyon Bakehouse makes great bagels and sandwich bread so your good to go there. Canyon also makes focaccia but I've never tried it and it couldn't possibly compare to my sisters focaccia.
  • Upcoming Events