This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stage 2 Kidney Disease? Just Noticed Lab Result.

SeekingSarah

SeekingSarah Apprentice

My PCP in FL (I moved back to Ohio last year) is back from maternity leave so I emailed her an update that I'm pursuing possible Celiac or Gluten intolerance as cause of some of my medical issues. I told her the Celiac panel was negative but I have appt with dermatologist this week. I mentioned my SED rate was 65, and she replied back that was very high (I knew this), said Celiac would not cause it to be THAT high and wanted to know what reason the doctors here gave me for it being so high....and asked me to send her the labs. I told her I have not gone back to the GI who ran those tests, waiting until after the Derm appointment in getting the labs to fax to her I noticed my GFR was 81 and under it the range stated it was Stage 2. So I look it up and it's Glomerular Filtration Rate...related to creatine in blood...kidney function. 

Is that common with Celiac/Gluten intolerance? Or do I have something else going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ksee Rookie

Some renal issues can be associated with celiac and other problems. Infections and other dietary situations come to mind. Many renal insults will improve when the cause is identified and resolved even those worse than what yours appear. Stage II is better used to identify damage that is progressive and untreatable.

SeekingSarah Apprentice

My mom is stage 4, she is 66 and had told me it was due to her chemo and radiation from breast cancer 12 years ago....her father (my grandfather) also had kidney issues I believe, he drank a lot though. Thankfully I do not have diabetes or high blood pressure...I do wonder if it's the lymphedema issue that contribute to protein in urine. 

Ksee Rookie

That is a possibility. Urine isn't supposed to have protein, it's a molecule that is big and can block tubules. How is that being treated?

SeekingSarah Apprentice

How is what being treated? The lymphedema? It's in maintenance, There is no treatment other than compression therapy, I have compressed all that can be compressed, wear garments to keep legs from swelling up with lymph fluid....lymph fluid is protein rich fluid.

Mom's kidney issue just being monitored and BP being controlled. 

Ksee Rookie

Do you know what caused your lymphedema? 

SeekingSarah Apprentice

Being born.  :) I have actually primary lipedema which causes abnormal adipose tissue to accumulate in my hips, thighs, and upper arms...that excess tissue puts additional pressure on my lymph system causing the lymphedema in my legs.

Open Original Shared Link

Actually no gluten diet is recommended by some lipedema doctors.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ksee Rookie

Your doctor may decide on more aggressive and combined treatment (CDT) or may decide that would put further stress on your kidneys. I'm sorry, I don't know. 

SeekingSarah Apprentice

I really haven't had treatment for lymphedema for years because it's maintained by wearing my garments, I just went yesterday to be measured for new ones and my legs are in very good condition, considering...I just think it might be the overall issue causing the kidney problem...who knows...just monitor it all...awaiting word from my PCP. 

Archived