This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Homemade Donut Recipes And Tips

megsybeth

megsybeth Enthusiast

I promised my 4yo I'd finally crack open my deep fat fryer to make donuts this weekend. Any advice for someone who's never used a fryer before?

Also, any good recipes?I don't like the cake style (krispy kreme), prefer old fashioned or cruellers. Would also appreciate freezing tips.

Thanks!

Megan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Hi Megan!

Ive never used a deep fryer...but have had luck making aebleskivers to satisfy the donut craving for my teens.

Let me know if you need the recipe....I used one that I found with tootle and just substituted gluten-free all purpose flour.....but can add link when I'm back on my laptop in the morning.

Ps...ours have never made it to the freezers.

CommonTater Contributor

IF you ever find a recipe for fried donuts that taste like krispy kreme glazed I'd love the recipe. It's not something we'd eat often but we'd love them as a special treat sometimes. I've tried baked donuts and one recipe for fried but they weren't light and fluffy. We really dislike cake dounts.

bartfull Rising Star

I'm confused. Old Fashoined donuts ARE cake style. Crullers can be either. Although I've never had a Krispy Kreme, the one's CommonTater are talking about are glazed, and those are usually raised donuts.

Personally, I liked either kind back in the day, but my favorite way to eat them was plain. I liked plain cake donuts, and a couple of different times in my life I worked at a bakery. I loved to put aside a raised donut and eat it without the glaze. They taste like fry bread. Yum. Come to think of it, when I would go to the fair, I would have my fry dough (called fry bread here in the Dakotas) without the powdered sugar.

What HAPPENED to me??!!! I never used to like sweet stuff. Now I can't seem to get enough of it! :ph34r:

bartfull Rising Star

Lisa, I just looked up aebleskivers and they sound delicious. I'd like to try making some if you'll give us the recipe. Thanks!

GottaSki Mentor

oh...they are fantastic...when I ended up with a nice peacock blue cast iron aebleskiver pan when my folks sent some things over for a yard sale...I couldn't let the pan go so I asked a friend of mine in Denmark for a recipe...lol he sent me this link as the one his Mom uses!!!

Open Original Shared Link

All I do is replace the flour -- I use Pamela's bread mix or BRM All Purpose...the kids say the Pamela's batches are just a tad better.  Personally I think the buttermilk is the most important ingredient..

I have seen a lot of aebleskiver pans recently -- well last Christmas season in the stores...but it is a great yard sale/thrift store item too :)

Oh...the one trick I do is overfill the oil just a bit so that it stays hot and full enough to make several batches...

oh oh...the batter stays well in the frig for at least a few days...in fact the second day batter was one of my best batches.

GottaSki Mentor

sometimes I make hot lemon glaze to drizzle or we have used blueberry jam -- powder sugar shaker is always on the table when I serve them :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

krispy kreme donut  copycat recipe....go to Open Original Shared Link.... one  is posted  there plus  loads  more  wonderful recipes....

Archived