This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach Pain

Renaye

Renaye Contributor

I have no official diagnosis but I am gluten-free, DF, EF and peanut free. Have been feeling better until Monday when my long term side pain reared its ugly head. Today I layed on the floor after breakfast and took a stomach muscle relaxer to prevent me from passing out. My digestive tract feels like I have lesions in it. I don't have these pains often anymore, but not sure what is triggering it lately. I am severely constipated and take Miralax several days in a row then there is no need to take it for a week or two later. I have several questions:

1. What do you eat when your stomach hates food? I need to prepare chicken noodle soup and freeze it.

2. Could it be the miralax, although it has been a week since I took a dose?

3. I have also been eating soy icecream with strawberries and bananas in it before bedtime, oops.

4. Could I have been glutened?

Feeling really sad and sickly-like

Renaye

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

What side is that pain on?

You sound like i did when my gallbladder was going on me.

Renaye Contributor

My pain is on the left side and I believe it is colon related. I have had this pain since I was 13. I had my gallbladder checked out 2 years ago before I knew that I had something like a diagnosis and it is operating at the minimum of normal, I think 30%?? I wonder if it ever functions at a higher % after a change of diet? I have ate some sausage and brats lately...hum....

Renaye

cyclinglady Grand Master

My pain is on the left side and I believe it is colon related. I have had this pain since I was 13. I had my gallbladder checked out 2 years ago before I knew that I had something like a diagnosis and it is operating at the minimum of normal, I think 30%?? I wonder if it ever functions at a higher % after a change of diet? I have ate some sausage and brats lately...hum....

Renaye

I agree with Shadow.  It sounds like your gallbaldder.  My pain always was much lower and nowhere near my GB.  Pains started on and off at age 16.  Serious enough for me to most always pass out.  Had it removed when I was 45 while on a business trip to Las Vegas.  First time I had a HIDA scan (ultrasounds showed no stones and a healthy GB).  HIDA results showed a non-functioning gallbaldder (0%).   It was also infected.   I believe my GB would work on and off all those years and I was lucky finally to catch it when it wasn't working!  

Brandiwine Contributor

I know the pain your talking about and can be intestinal. Have you tried cutting out soy? Something must still be in your diet that you can't tolerate...

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Constipation can cause stomach/intestine/colon pain...especially the type you're talking about. My son gets c, and had an X-ray for it. I asked the doctor if c could cause what he's been feeling and he said most definitely. He described some pretty ugly cases.

You need to find out why you are so constipated!

I agree you should have your gallbladder checked - don't want to miss that if its the problem.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree with Shadow.  It sounds like your gallbaldder.  My pain always was much lower and nowhere near my GB.  Pains started on and off at age 16.  Serious enough for me to most always pass out.  Had it removed when I was 45 while on a business trip to Las Vegas.  First time I had a HIDA scan (ultrasounds showed no stones and a healthy GB).  HIDA results showed a non-functioning gallbaldder (0%).   It was also infected.   I believe my GB would work on and off all those years and I was lucky finally to catch it when it wasn't working!  

You mentioned that your last HIDA scan reported a 30% function rate.  It might now be below 20% which is the cut-off for surgery.  Other than lower abdominal pain and passing out, I did not have the typical gallbladder symptoms.  

Non-functioning gallbladders run in our family.  Dad's one of 7 and 6 have had theirs removed.  I'm one of 27 first cousins, the fifth oldest and the fifth to have my gallbladder removed.  No stones for anyone.  Just works on and off until it starts to rot/"get hot"/infected.  I would have died if the infection would have spread.

Since you already have a gallbladder that was only functioning at 30%, I'd ask for a re-check.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Renaye Contributor

I will have my gallbladder rechecked when I go see my PCP. I am feeling better and have been doing alot of thinking. I alter my milks due to my theory of having a leaky gut. I over-did it with almond milk and have not reintroduced that back after 2 years. I don't do rice milk because I can't find anything other than Rice Dreams. I was altering coconut, soy and flax. Since I was on soy milk, last week and also ate soy ice cream the night before my pain, I am wondering if it is soy. I just love my mayo. Wah!! I feel like I am running out of options these days and don't know how to fix it.

Renaye

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Definitely have your doc check for anything serious.  I know I get stomach pain from gluten contamination so you might want to check for that.  Some of us are more sensitive to that than others.  It would help you to keep a food/symptom journal to look for connections with cc or other food intolerances.  I hope that you feel better soon.

Archived