• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Tums Suck (But I Can't Stop Eating Them)

9 posts in this topic

Is there anyone who can help me out here? I need a substitute for Tums that I can use when I'm feeling glutened. They're kinda my go to for settling my stomach, but when I'm glutened I go overboard with them for a few days, which is just gonna make me sicker in the long run. I've come up dry so far.

Anyone have any ideas or advice!?!? I don't wanna end up with milk alkali or something stupid.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Very strong mint tea helps.

I'll give it a whirl. I've just gotta lay off the Tums, they can do some nasty stuff to a person, especially if you eat them like candy like I tend to when glutened.

Yeah...I'm more into the natural route.  I have mint plants and I drink the mint tea every day.  It really does help.  You can buy plain mint tea at the store.  I drink it hot with sugar.  It's pretty good.

Yeah...I'm more into the natural route. I have mint plants and I drink the mint tea every day. It really does help. You can buy plain mint tea at the store. I drink it hot with sugar. It's pretty good.

I heart Stash peppermint tea! The Stash website states it's gluten free, but you might double check, never can be too careful! :)

Ads by Google:

Digestive enzymes with every meal help me. If I don't use them, I feel like I need antacids.

And keep something in your stomach all the time - preemptive eating - I assume it feels acidic?

If it feels like your food is just sitting there try Betaine HCL - more acid.

Is there anyone who can help me out here? I need a substitute for Tums that I can use when I'm feeling glutened. They're kinda my go to for settling my stomach, but when I'm glutened I go overboard with them for a few days, which is just gonna make me sicker in the long run. I've come up dry so far.

Anyone have any ideas or advice!?!? I don't wanna end up with milk alkali or something stupid.

Yeah, too many tums can send you to the rest room, although it's rich in calcium. Gotta find a balance.

Maybe lay off the foods that "gluten" you?  After 2 years, you shouldn't be getting glutened very often or at all.  Or maybe its something in addition to  gluten you should be avoiding?

Digestive enzymes with every meal help me. If I don't use them, I feel like I need antacids.

And keep something in your stomach all the time - preemptive eating - I assume it feels acidic?

If it feels like your food is just sitting there try Betaine HCL - more acid.

This is the protocol that has helped our family -- we also have additional intolerances that were causing gluten like symptoms until we sorted them out.

We also use peppermint or ginger teas.

Some find relief with peppermint or slippery elm supplements.

I haven't used tums in many years, but last time I checked there were only select bottles that were gluten-free and most generics weren't...might want to double check your current tums.

A food/symptom log can be invaluable to track down if something else is causing gluten-like symptoms..

Good Luck :)