This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh Caused By Stress?

crazyfly

crazyfly Newbie

Hi all. Little quick background. About 7 years ago I started getting a rash. Tried everything, went to tons of doctors, had a biopsy done, came back "non specific skin irratation". Had the rash all over my body for the better part of 4 years. Got so bad that my feet swole to the point where walking on stairs would split the skin on the tops of my feet. I'll spare you the pictures. Eyes would swell completely shut, got close to suicide. Someone reccomended going gluten free. After about 2 years of learning and trying I started to have rash free months.

Now it's rare that I get the rash but when I do I wonder how because I'm extremely carful. Should also mention that the years of dh gave me MSRA so a little bit of rash is really dangerous and can spread like wildfire.

On to my question, has anyone found that stress can trigger their dh? Wal mart has generic benadryl for $.88, has anyone found that benadryl helps the itching? I know dapsone is the best thing but I can't afford it right now.

Thanks for looking.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Stress has a definite affect on my rash & my hubs as well. Yes, dh rash can flare with stress or worsen if already in a flare. Try limiting your iodine intake & see if it helps. But most of all try to chill out. Chillin' hugs ((((((crazyfly))))))

For me, Benadryl didn't do anything but I have found that Claritin has helped with the immune system overdrive & also helps some with the itching. Which came first - the hen or the egg? The immune system overdrive or the itching? I don't care as long as I can find something to help if even only a little bit.

Try the benadryl --- some have found some help from the itching with it. Everyone is different so who knows? Maybe it will help you. 

crazyfly Newbie

Ah, thank you for the hug! Sometimes life gangs up on me and chillin just isn't in the cards. Switched to sea salt a long time ago. I also avoid nightshade veggies. Still, over the passed week, couple itchy bumps at my waist line and one on the back of my neck.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the 2 years of "hmmm, we're not sure what that is, here have some antibiotics and take 60 mil of prednisone

every day".

Sometimes I see someone at a coffee shop or somewhere and they have a rash on the arms or face and I want so bad to aproach them and tell them to put the muffin down.

sisterlynr Explorer

I take Dapsone and benedryl . . . haven't tried Zrytec yet.  Yes, I think stress flares my DH.  

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I don't recall stress causing my dh to flare, but the appearance of dh sent me down an emotional and physical roller coaster every time.

Steroids can screw with your adrenals, making it more difficult to deal with stress, and also create symptoms. Steroids screwed me up. It's been 2 years and just starting to approach "normal" adrenal function. Maybe.

I'd be more suspicious of your thyroid or hormones, as far as cause/effect. I flare from viruses. Seriously. The flu gives me a breakout. I hate the flu. That's how I can tell if I've had a virus of any type - I get a bit of dh.

crazyfly Newbie

Pricklypear1971, interesting. My niece recently told me that both she and my sister have some kind of thyroid thing and that I should have mine checked. 

I wonder, has anyone here ever gotten conclusive evidence from a known gluten incident? In other words, do we know for sure how long between injesting gluten and the beggining of the breakout? That would help a tiny bit, if I knew it had to have been within 24 hours and I know that I've been gluten free for that time, then I'd know to look for stress, virus or hormone.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Pricklypear1971, interesting. My niece recently told me that both she and my sister have some kind of thyroid thing and that I should have mine checked.

I wonder, has anyone here ever gotten conclusive evidence from a known gluten incident? In other words, do we know for sure how long between injesting gluten and the beggining of the breakout? That would help a tiny bit, if I knew it had to have been within 24 hours and I know that I've been gluten free for that time, then I'd know to look for stress, virus or hormone.

Everyone is different. There's no set timeframe - you just have to figure out YOURS.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frieze Community Regular

sea salt, I do think has iodine in it naturally.  non iodized salt is available.

Archived