This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Had My Endoscopy Today!

taynichaf

taynichaf Contributor

I'll know the results within a week, but he said everything looked normal... :/

And then he diagnosed me with acid reflux..is that a big symptom for celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I am glad it went well. :)

GERD is sometimes a symptom of celiac disease. I don't know how common it is. I am sure others will know more.

I hope your biopsy results are very clear cut and you'll know for certain whether it is celiac disease or NCGI. Best wishes.

taynichaf Contributor

Ooops! I don't remember making this post ha, but I guess I have GERD and a hiatal hernia... unless those are the same?... does anyone know if THOSE can be linked to celiac?

Ohh and I am so happy with my doctor! He said they generally take 8-9 biopsies and hes like the head of a celiac organization or something, and he knows about non-celiac gluten sensitivity :)

NotMollyRingwald Apprentice

Ooops! I don't remember making this post ha, but I guess I have GERD and a hiatal hernia... unless those are the same?... does anyone know if THOSE can be linked to celiac?

Ohh and I am so happy with my doctor! He said they generally take 8-9 biopsies and hes like the head of a celiac organization or something, and he knows about non-celiac gluten sensitivity :)

Lol!! As someone who just had this same experience I have to laugh. Hard!! I totally requested and consumed a gigantic rootbeer float after my EGD and I have zero memory of it. Pity, that's an experience I'd rather remember!

So glad they took adequate samples, hopefully that means your results will be absolutely accurate. celiac disease or NCGS, I pray you have an answer soon!

taynichaf Contributor

Lol!! As someone who just had this same experience I have to laugh. Hard!! I totally requested and consumed a gigantic rootbeer float after my EGD and I have zero memory of it. Pity, that's an experience I'd rather remember!

So glad they took adequate samples, hopefully that means your results will be absolutely accurate. celiac disease or NCGS, I pray you have an answer soon!

Lol! Yeahh my mom took me to a fast food place too... Don't remember much but i guess I ate a ton haha. How did yours go?!

Ohh and i slightly remember asking the nurse for apple juice, hahah. And right when I woke up I was like WTF? and then I like was trying to get out of the chair and someone had to stop me...

formygirl Rookie

when my daughter had her endoscopy, everything looked normal too.. biopsies confirmed celiac.  

taynichaf Contributor

when my daughter had her endoscopy, everything looked normal too.. biopsies confirmed celiac.  

If this is my case I will be happy. Thank you for this info. Hope your daughter is doing well with her gluten free lifestyle!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NotMollyRingwald Apprentice

Lol! Yeahh my mom took me to a fast food place too... Don't remember much but i guess I ate a ton haha. How did yours go?!

Ohh and i slightly remember asking the nurse for apple juice, hahah. And right when I woke up I was like WTF? and then I like was trying to get out of the chair and someone had to stop me...

Yeah I don't remember much...procedure at 9, home by 1130 (according to my hubby) and I slept from 1200-430pm.  Then went back to sleep at 9pm. HAHA!

I also "looked normal" so hopefully that's good news.  Something about abnormal z-line, but I don't think that's too big of a deal.  Results might be in as early as Wednesday.  All that really matters right now is that I'm back the good life (gluten free).  Hooray!  

taynichaf Contributor

Yeah I don't remember much...procedure at 9, home by 1130 (according to my hubby) and I slept from 1200-430pm.  Then went back to sleep at 9pm. HAHA!

I also "looked normal" so hopefully that's good news.  Something about abnormal z-line, but I don't think that's too big of a deal.  Results might be in as early as Wednesday.  All that really matters right now is that I'm back the good life (gluten free).  Hooray!  

Yay! I think I'll go get myself some good food tomorrow :)

Let me know your results!

Miss-Marie Rookie

Hi taynichaf, I'm having my endoscopy on the 29th of this month and I'm getting really nervous about it, how did your endoscopy go? im going to have the sedative but im worried that I might wake up during the procedure and im thinking all kinds of things, its scaring me :( any words of advice would be great x also how did you feel after? did you feel okay or did your throat hurt after? Thanks :) x

taynichaf Contributor

Hi taynichaf, I'm having my endoscopy on the 29th of this month and I'm getting really nervous about it, how did your endoscopy go? im going to have the sedative but im worried that I might wake up during the procedure and im thinking all kinds of things, its scaring me :( any words of advice would be great x also how did you feel after? did you feel okay or did your throat hurt after? Thanks :) x

Hi! Good luck! It's really nothing to worry about... I didn't think it was bad at all, but I wasn't that afraid to begin with. I was heavily sedated, and the worst part for me was putting the IV thingy in my hand because I hate needles. My throat didn't hurt that much at all, but they sprayed it with this numbing stuff. Once I was sedated I was knocked out right away lol. I woke up in a chair somewhere and it's all just really bury from there... I only remember little snip-its of people talking to me and everything else is just black. My memory was terrible, and I couldn't comprehend anything the nurse was telling me, lol. And I kept asking my mom the same stuff over and over... Sorry if this sounds kinda scary to you, but it's what happend to me! I went home and passed out and then I felt normalish when I woke up... Just a little out of it and I didn't have much of an appetite, but I never puked or anything.

If you're worried about waking up, let the nurses know that and they can give you reasurance or make sure to give you a large dose. After the procedure, you won't remember much either so it's not bad.

nosy parker Apprentice

Miss-Marie, just to add my experience.  I had both a colonoscopy and endo done and oddly enough the colonoscopy didn't worry me but the endo was freaking me out.  And I was just outside the room as the previous patient was doing his endo without any sedative.  Believe me those choking sounds didn't help!  Anyway, they gave me a bit of sedative for the colonoscopy but I was awake and watching it on the screen the whole time.  Since my doc knew I was so worried for the endo, he gave me an additional amount and it put me to sleep.  I woke up in recovery when it was over.  No knowledge/memory of the procedure at all.  And I wasn't groggy or affected at all the rest of the day.  Left there with my hubby and didn't have any ill effects whatsoever.  My thoat never hurt at all either.  I actually wondered why they said I wouldn't be able to drive after the procedure if I had the sedative, because I felt perfectly normal when I woke up.

I honestly wouldn't be the least bit concerned to have to do it again.  So ask for the sedative and tell your doctor you're very nervous.  I'm sure it'll be a breeze!  Good luck!

Miss-Marie Rookie

Thank you for your fast replies :)

taynichaf - I really hate needles too so that will probably be the worst part too for me lol, as long as I'll be sleeping when its all happening I should be okay, my main worry is that I'll wake up with a camera down my throat but I'm sure that wont happen, although once I was having a tooth removed and had to be sedated and I remember waking up when it was nearly finished, I'll try to be as calm as possible on the day and just hope that it all goes well. Okay I'll keep that in mind and ask the nurse to maybe give me a larger dose to keep me asleep, thanks :)

nosy parker - Ahh that sounds scary hearing the person before you choking, they must be so brave to go through an endoscopy awake! I'm glad to know you felt normal after because I've been worrying that I'm gonna be really dizzy or woozy for the day. I'm hoping my endoscopy will be not as bad as I'm thinking it will be, I'm sure I will be fine I just worry too much! :) 

taynichaf Contributor

Results are in... Negative for celiac :/

Super disappointed because I'm still worried that they are missing something...

For my GERD, i'm supposed to be taking medicine or something and for my constipation I have to be eating high fiber... Example, wheat bread instead of white bread. I just really feel like doctors arnt listening to me....

Deaminated Marcus Apprentice

LOL  :P  You can get your fiber from fruits and vegetables like broccoli.  

Dates and peanuts have lots of fiber.

A past doctor recommended I eat Whole wheat bread to get more fiber and

it was after that my health started to fall apart.

Right now for my gluten challenge I'm eating white bread because the brown bread makes me ache even more.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the answers you were looking for. :(

kareng Grand Master

Results are in... Negative for celiac :/

Super disappointed because I'm still worried that they are missing something...

For my GERD, i'm supposed to be taking medicine or something and for my constipation I have to be eating high fiber... Example, wheat bread instead of white bread. I just really feel like doctors arnt listening to me....

Like I said on another one of your posts, get the test results. Get a copy of the labs and the pathology report and the procedure report. Ask some questions of the doctor. Sounds like you let him tell you you have GERD and a hernia and you don't seem to know what they are as you thought they were the same thing. You need to speak up and ask what that is and what the treatment is. Do they want to surgically repair the hernia? If not, what follow- up do they want to do for it?

I know you are young, but its your body and you need to speak up and ask questions and try to understand.

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

so the more whole grain, Fiber One type of products I ate before going gluten free, the more stopped up I became, no matter how much water I drank.  My anxiety increased because I would get so upset over not going, and the snowball effect happened.  There were times I drank a whole bottle of magnesium citrate and not a thing happened :o Ex-lax gave me bad cramping, but no relief, and Ducolax worked but I became concerned because I would have to take 5 tablets to get things moving, and the max dose is supposed to be 3.  I don't do well with mixing thick fiber supplements in a glass, and Miralax was prescribed to me by my GP, but it didn't work well for me at all.  Psyllium did nothing for me.  I was jealous of friends who could eat a bran muffin and clean out their insides because it would plug me up more  :P

Sure enough on my first visit to the GI and talking about bloating and constipation, he suggested more fiber and water, but I said been there done that  :P luckily, he listened and I started getting tested and now with going gluten-free, regularity is returning!!  One thing I am very diligent with is my water intake.  I love water, and yes, I really do mean that!  I would much rather have water over soda or alcohol.  

Current routine-I wake up each morning, take a few Citrucel with water on an empty stomach, and that helps to get things moving.  Anxiety has greatly reduced going gluten-free, so that certainly helps as well!!

Fiber is needed, but you have to find the right fiber for you.  Personally, fiber from fruits and veggies agrees better with my system, but my hope is that someday I can get rid of the Citrucel, but for now it's needed  :)

Edit: I also got diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia during my endoscopy.  I really hope you are able to find someplace to get the DGP test performed!  Also my GERD has gotten better going gluten-free.  I would suggest reading the book Why Stomach Acid is Good for You before taking powerful acid reducing drugs.  It seems to create more problems than it fixes.  My advice would be to try eating gluten-free first to see if it helps the GERD.  good luck!  Open Original Shared Link

taynichaf Contributor

so the more whole grain, Fiber One type of products I ate before going gluten free, the more stopped up I became, no matter how much water I drank.  My anxiety increased because I would get so upset over not going, and the snowball effect happened.  There were times I drank a whole bottle of magnesium citrate and not a thing happened :o Ex-lax gave me bad cramping, but no relief, and Ducolax worked but I became concerned because I would have to take 5 tablets to get things moving, and the max dose is supposed to be 3.  I don't do well with mixing thick fiber supplements in a glass, and Miralax was prescribed to me by my GP, but it didn't work well for me at all.  Psyllium did nothing for me.  I was jealous of friends who could eat a bran muffin and clean out their insides because it would plug me up more  :P

Sure enough on my first visit to the GI and talking about bloating and constipation, he suggested more fiber and water, but I said been there done that  :P luckily, he listened and I started getting tested and now with going gluten-free, regularity is returning!!  One thing I am very diligent with is my water intake.  I love water, and yes, I really do mean that!  I would much rather have water over soda or alcohol.  

Current routine-I wake up each morning, take a few Citrucel with water on an empty stomach, and that helps to get things moving.  Anxiety has greatly reduced going gluten-free, so that certainly helps as well!!

Fiber is needed, but you have to find the right fiber for you.  Personally, fiber from fruits and veggies agrees better with my system, but my hope is that someday I can get rid of the Citrucel, but for now it's needed  :)

Edit: I also got diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia during my endoscopy.  I really hope you are able to find someplace to get the DGP test performed!  Also my GERD has gotten better going gluten-free.  I would suggest reading the book Why Stomach Acid is Good for You before taking powerful acid reducing drugs.  It seems to create more problems than it fixes.  My advice would be to try eating gluten-free first to see if it helps the GERD.  good luck!  Open Original Shared Link

Grrr.. Well I got every test now EXCEPT the DGP... That was the only one they didnt have. But whateverrrr.

taynichaf Contributor

Like I said on another one of your posts, get the test results. Get a copy of the labs and the pathology report and the procedure report. Ask some questions of the doctor. Sounds like you let him tell you you have GERD and a hernia and you don't seem to know what they are as you thought they were the same thing. You need to speak up and ask what that is and what the treatment is. Do they want to surgically repair the hernia? If not, what follow- up do they want to do for it?

I know you are young, but its your body and you need to speak up and ask questions and try to understand.

Alright I will. Thanks. And they tried to tell me about it but I was out of it.... So they told my mom and I guess she didnt do a very good job at telling me :/

Archived