This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Wheat Allergy

CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I was DX Celiac 3 years ago this past week. Shortly after DX, I was food allergy tested. The Dr told me I would not be positive for wheat because Celiac is auto immune etc. However, she was surprised when I reacted to wheat and barely. (skin test) I haven't thought to much about it because I must be gluten-free anyway. I've had good and bad days trying to feel better. I work at a school and am around gluten a lot! I try to do  my best at avoiding it.

Sometimes I notice if I am in the same room with someone else cooking gluten I start to cramp up. I just thought I was crazy until today.You know, it's all in my head thing. I was alone all weekend with no gluten in sight and I felt human! Today I picked my daughter up from her friends and she hugged me a lot. About 15 minutes later, I'm cramping and bloating. Now, call me crazy, I asked her what she had eaten. She said pancakes, am I crazy? They had made pancakes from a mix. Has anyone heard of this. I didn't want to write this, because I didn't want people to think I've totally lost it.

My daughter said she will go gluten-free all summer to see if this is truly an issue for me.

Has this happened to anyone else or am I crazy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

C Kip! I am so happy to see you! ;)

Want my opinion--from my "gut"? sure, why wouldn't you have a reaction of some kind?

if you are still having "good and bad days" 3 years later? SOMETHING is causing you grief.

Celiacs can also have a wheat allergy (and I say this often) and it is entirely possible that just being around wheat flour ( or people consuming it ) is giving you continuing symptoms.

If your daughter is willing to go gluten-free to see if you feel better, well, kudos to her..... and frankly, she may benefit as well as I am a huge believer in the hereditary aspect of this disease--no matter what the celiac test results say/

It is always great to "see you" either here or on GD site. Take care, dear girl!!

CarolinaKip Community Regular

C Kip! I am so happy to see you! ;)

Want my opinion--from my "gut"? sure, why wouldn't you have a reaction of some kind?

if you are still having "good and bad days" 3 years later? SOMETHING is causing you grief.

Celiacs can also have a wheat allergy (and I say this often) and it is entirely possible that just being around wheat flour ( or people consuming it ) is giving you continuing symptoms.

If your daughter is willing to go gluten-free to see if you feel better, well, kudos to her..... and frankly, she may benefit as well as I am a huge believer in the hereditary aspect of this disease--no matter what the celiac test results say/

It is always great to "see you" either here or on GD site. Take care, dear girl!!

Thanks Irish!!

I'm about to have a break coming soon, so you will "see me" more often!

gatita Enthusiast

I do have typical wheat allergy symptoms at times... last time I tried a gluten challenge, my lips, eyes, and face puffed up, and my heart raced. Classic allergy stuff...

But whenever I get glutened, my guts ALSO go freakin' bonkers. Classic intolerance.

So is it allergy or intolerance? My GI gave up trying to decide and just went with common sense: DON'T... EAT... WHEAT...

• 4 weeks later...
Celiacmama83 Newbie

I was just tested for Wheat allergy and I should have my results in two weeks. I accidently ingested wheat and my eyes became swollen and I broke out in hives. My doctor said that it probably wasn't wheat, but maybe my makeup. I've been using the same makeup for years and it happens to be gluten-free. I don't know what else it could have been. We will see in a few weeks what is causing this reaction. It was pretty scary and hoping it doesn't happen again. I have never once had an issue, but once I went gluten-free I have become super sensitive to a lot of different things. I'm so nervous, I don't even want to eat :(

Archived