This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tucson Arizona Gluten-Free Restaurants

Darissa

Darissa Contributor

We are going to be visiting Tucson, AZ Kartchners Caverns and Tombstone AZ soon. We are looking for ideas for gluten free restaurants in those areas? Maybe some local places? Thanks in advance!!

Darissa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Eat my at my Aunt's house!  Ha!  Seriously, my aunt and cousin are gluten free.  It's too late to contact them but I know they have a few favorite restaurants.  Here's a link from the Tucson Celiac group containing an interactive map with restaurant locations.  

Open Original Shared Link

Tucson has Trader Joe's too.  I shop there and at Costco when I'm there twice a year.  Nice to travel with a cooler just in case!  You can always buy a cheap one if you're flying.  

Darissa Contributor

Eat my at my Aunt's house!  Ha!  Seriously, my aunt and cousin are gluten free.  It's too late to contact them but I know they have a few favorite restaurants.  Here's a link from the Tucson Celiac group containing an interactive map with restaurant locations.  

Open Original Shared Link

Tucson has Trader Joe's too.  I shop there and at Costco when I'm there twice a year.  Nice to travel with a cooler just in case!  You can always buy a cheap one if you're flying.  

Thanks so much! Appreciate the post! We aren't traveling for a while, so if you hear from your Aunt, you might ask her their favorite restaurants! We live in Phoenix, so we will be driving with a cooler. We are staying a hotel with a kitchen to fix simple meals, but when we are traveling, its nice to be able to eat out a few times (vacation for Mom without having to cook!!!). Thanks for the link for the celiac support group. 

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Feast - a must try.

Tucson Tamale Company - don't leave without stopping there.

For Chinese, Lotus Garden

Buddy's is on the East side and I'm ok with a few of their dishes - I did get "got" there, once. Explain proper procedures to the waiter - mine does push the kitchen staff to be more careful.

BJ's is good for all-around and pizza. Never had an issue there.

Shish Kebab House - I've had great luck there.

I live in Tucson, pm me and let me know what you're looking for.

I ate at a place that advertises gluten-free in Tombstone - and I got into gluten...I'm not terribly sensitive, so I'm assuming it was a healthy dose.

Darissa Contributor

I live in Tucson, pm me and let me know what you're looking for.

Thanks so much! That is a great list of places to try. The only other place my kiddos would like is Mexican (I see Tamale Co - we love tamales so we will try that) but chips/salsa and other Mexican choices.

Thanks again for the list. We will try Feast! I already checked out their menu online. Looks great! And Lotus Garden - we really like Chinese. I like trying local places when we travel since there are the chains that have gluten-free everywhere. Its nice to try something different!

Appreciate the list! :)

Lesx2 Newbie

Gourmet Girls Gluten Free Bakery and Cafe - yummy sandwiches ( yes, a sandwich on homemade bread!), salads, soups, etc. on Oracle Road - always go here when I am in town. Love the Mexican wedding cookies and snickerdoodles -such a treat.

For Mexican, El Charro has good food and a gluten-free menu. We go th the one on Oracle, have never had an issue.

For food shopping, Whole Foods and Sprouts. Frys and Bashas carry Boars Head deli products. Frys has a bigger selection of gluten-free foods.

Thanks so much! That is a great list of places to try. The only other place my kiddos would like is Mexican (I see Tamale Co - we love tamales so we will try that) but chips/salsa and other Mexican choices.

Thanks again for the list. We will try Feast! I already checked out their menu online. Looks great! And Lotus Garden - we really like Chinese. I like trying local places when we travel since there are the chains that have gluten-free everywhere. Its nice to try something different!

Appreciate the list! :)

There is another restaurant on the east side that has gluten-free on the menu - I've never tried it, though, so I don't know how well they execute: Open Original Shared Link

As far as Mexican goes, the Old Pueblo Grill has Nuevo Mex - I'll be honest, I don't have much luck with finding safe Mexican. Tucson has excellent Mexican joints but most are mom/pops and they don't do gluten-free and there's a stiff communication barrier. I have had ok luck at La Parilla Suiza on Broadway - the rice is not safe, chips aren't safe, and no sauces are safe. I order beans and the grilled dishes - the one with bacon in it??? I take my own chips in my purse, and get my own salsas. Thankfully, the margaritas are safe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darissa Contributor

There is another restaurant on the easy side that has gluten-free on the menu - I've never tried it, though, so I don't know how well they execute: Open Original Shared Link

As far as Mexican goes, the Old Pueblo Grill has Nuevo Mex - I'll be honest, I don't have much luck with finding safe Mexican.

Thanks for the Hotrods info. I'll check it out online.  Thanks for the info on Mexican.  Maybe we will stick with the tamales! We can get Mexican up here in the Valley, so we will venture out to new things!  

Gourmet Girls Gluten Free Bakery and Cafe - yummy sandwiches ( yes, a sandwich on homemade bread!), salads, soups, etc. on Oracle Road - always go here when I am in town. Love the Mexican wedding cookies and snickerdoodles -such a treat.

For Mexican, El Charro has good food and a gluten-free menu. We go th the one on Oracle, have never had an issue.

For food shopping, Whole Foods and Sprouts. Frys and Bashas carry Boars Head deli products. Frys has a bigger selection of gluten-free foods.

Yes, forgot GFG! Their sandwiches are good, and a very good creme puff!! They are on the NW side, and that's a big haul if you're based on the east side for your travels (Tomstone/Kartchner).

Be warned, El Charro on Broadway is now closed.

Thanks for the Hotrods info. I'll check it out online. Thanks for the info on Mexican. Maybe we will stick with the tamales! We can get Mexican up here in the Valley, so we will venture out to new things!

You can get pinto beans, chips (last I heard they weren't safe, though), three awesome salsas, and rice at Tamale Company. Also, a killer breakfast on weekends.

Darissa Contributor

Gourmet Girls Gluten Free Bakery and Café sounds great! We will try it! And thanks for the info on El Charro.  I appreciate everyones feedback! :)

Archived