This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gemini

Gemini Experienced

I went to NY/NJ over the Memorial Day week-end and made a bee-line for Risoterria as it was so close to the hotel I was staying in.

All I can say is.....if you want to go into carbo Nervana, do not miss a trip here when in town!  

The risotto is phenomenal and perfectly prepared and they have about 25 different choices of combinations and offer 3 types of risotto rice to choose from.....some I have never heard of.  The salad I had to start with was extremely fresh and crisp and the dressings are top notch...loaded with flavor, without the gluten.  They offer up home made gluten-free bread sticks, which are crispy on the outside and chewy delicious on the inside.  All fresh and warm from the oven and they keep bringing them when you run out.  I made a piggy of myself....it's almost mandatory.

Then there is dessert.....which I usually never order but hell, they had chocolate eclairs.   :)   I couldn't believe it and bought 2, one for each day we were there.  They were really, really good and looked and tasted like a real eclair...not some sorry, gluten-free excuse for one.  A REAL ECLAIR, people.  

OK...there is a downside.  It is pricey but anywhere you eat in NYC, that is seriously gluten-free, will be pricey.  I thought it worth the price because I do not dine out all that often and this was a special treat.  The eclairs were $8.00 each but they were a good size.  The gluten-free beer is pricey and the wine I thought no more than restaurants at home. Just bring your paycheck and don't worry about it because it was definitely worth the price. I'm glad I don't live near there because I would be broke.  But I will eat there when in NY!  Best of all....not an inkling of sickness was felt.  And it was something special to be able to order and tell them once you are gluten-free and say nothing more.  They truly get it.

I think I am still on that endorphin buzz from the meal..... :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I went to NY/NJ over the Memorial Day week-end and made a bee-line for Risoterria as it was so close to the hotel I was staying in.

All I can say is.....if you want to go into carbo Nervana, do not miss a trip here when in town!  

The risotto is phenomenal and perfectly prepared and they have about 25 different choices of combinations and offer 3 types of risotto rice to choose from.....some I have never heard of.  The salad I had to start with was extremely fresh and crisp and the dressings are top notch...loaded with flavor, without the gluten.  They offer up home made gluten-free bread sticks, which are crispy on the outside and chewy delicious on the inside.  All fresh and warm from the oven and they keep bringing them when you run out.  I made a piggy of myself....it's almost mandatory.

Then there is dessert.....which I usually never order but hell, they had chocolate eclairs.   :)   I couldn't believe it and bought 2, one for each day we were there.  They were really, really good and looked and tasted like a real eclair...not some sorry, gluten-free excuse for one.  A REAL ECLAIR, people.  

OK...there is a downside.  It is pricey but anywhere you eat in NYC, that is seriously gluten-free, will be pricey.  I thought it worth the price because I do not dine out all that often and this was a special treat.  The eclairs were $8.00 each but they were a good size.  The gluten-free beer is pricey and the wine I thought no more than restaurants at home. Just bring your paycheck and don't worry about it because it was definitely worth the price. I'm glad I don't live near there because I would be broke.  But I will eat there when in NY!  Best of all....not an inkling of sickness was felt.  And it was something special to be able to order and tell them once you are gluten-free and say nothing more.  They truly get it.

I think I am still on that endorphin buzz from the meal..... :D

Yum!!!!!!!!!!

Nikki2777 Community Regular

It's worth the extra money just to go to a restaurant where I don't have to worry at all. Even at places known to be celiac friendly, I still worry a bit. At Risotteria they told me that the few things that are not gluten-free are made elsewhere and brought in prepackaged. Quite the reversal!

Gemini Experienced

It's worth the extra money just to go to a restaurant where I don't have to worry at all. Even at places known to be celiac friendly, I still worry a bit. At Risotteria they told me that the few things that are not gluten-free are made elsewhere and brought in prepackaged. Quite the reversal!

Now isn't that a beautiful thing!   :D

Kate79 Apprentice

Risoterria is AWESOME.  I've been to New York twice since diagnosis and have made a point to eat there both times. Almost everything is gluten free, the Risotto is great, they've got a huge selection of gluten free beers, and they've got great baked goods.  They even make a gluten free 'twinkie' that tastes much better than the real thing!  If I lived in the area, I'd be there all the time.

I would add that it's a tiny, tiny restaurant, so it's best to go at an off-peak time or to be prepared to wait outside, as they don't have much of a waiting area.  But it's totally worth it!

Archived