This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Multiple Intolerances

klisja

klisja Rookie

Howdy

Just curious, what other intolerances are you having? If so, how long before you could (if you could) reintroduce a certain food?

klisja

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lesx2 Newbie

- nightshades

- dairy, including alternates almond, rice milk, etc ( unless baked in something)

- eggs ( unless baked in something)

- lots of vegetables -especially green ones

- nuts, except for an occasional couple of almonds

-and I think my latest might be items iodine content and or salt.

Have not been able to reintroduce anything - going on 13 years now since diagnosed.

Will be curious what others have to say and any ideas/ suggestions. The refrig and pantry are the enemy I have to plow throgh when hunger hits.

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome klisja!

I removed everything except meat, fish and select fruits and vegies over four years post celiac diagnosis.  See my signature for the complete list.

This past November I finally made the connection to Histamine Intolerance (HIT) due to the damage in my small intestine (the enzymes that regulate histamine in the body are created in the mucosal lining of the small intestine.)  Since I have removed all histamine containing or histamine inducing foods my health has improved greatly.

So it has now been 6 months since the HIT discovery and I can now eat very small amounts of the lectin foods I removed nearly two years ago -- if I overdo it I pay dearly.  For now I'm taking it very slow and sticking to my safe foods, but am very hopeful I will get many healthful foods back.

Oh I did get Almonds back last Fall -- that was a wonderful day as they make a great snack and can be ground into so many yummy treats!

bartfull Rising Star

Corn. I temporarily got just corn starch back, but lost it again after a glutening.

White potatoes. I don't know if I had a problem with other nightshades because I never ate them. Just recently got white potatoes back. I may try tomato sauce sometime soon. I'd love to try eggplant but I have NEVER even seen one in any of the stores or farmers markets here! :blink:

Salicylates. If I go easy I can eat small amounts of sweet potato and also broccoli, but if I eat too much I will get sick. I wish SO much that I could have blueberries, but they are extremely high in sals. :(

Oh yeah, it's been two years gluten-free for me. I'm hoping to get corn starch back again someday so I can eat gluten-free bread again, but to be honest, corn cause so much pain I'm afraid to try again.

klisja Rookie

Thank you GottaSki :)

As sad as it is I am glad I am not alone :) Tests for gluten intolarance come back negative but I can't eat food with gluten in it, except rolled oats (not the quick cooking ones). Can't eat corn either or potato flour.

I can't eat fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, almonds, spices (just salt) but I can eat dairy.

I am hoping someday I can add some fruits and veggies to my list, tired of eating rice and meats all the time :huh:

Klisja

GottaSki Mentor

Thank you GottaSki :)

As sad as it is I am glad I am not alone :) Tests for gluten intolarance come back negative but I can't eat food with gluten in it, except rolled oats (not the quick cooking ones). Can't eat corn either or potato flour.

I can't eat fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, almonds, spices (just salt) but I can eat dairy.

I am hoping someday I can add some fruits and veggies to my list, tired of eating rice and meats all the time :huh:

Klisja

You can't eat any fruits or vegies?

I can't eat citrus, pineapple, banana, mango or many berries -- but i do okay with apples, pears and peaches.

I can't eat nightshades, spinach or pumpkin -- but can eat sweet potato, yams, all squash except pumpkin, brocolli, asparagus, cauliflower, etc.

Keep trying :)

GottaSki Mentor

ps...carrots??

I can eat lightly steamed vegies, but cannot do raw.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

klisja Rookie

You can't eat any fruits or vegies?

I can't eat citrus, pineapple, banana, mango or many berries -- but i do okay with apples, pears and peaches.

I can't eat nightshades, spinach or pumpkin -- but can eat sweet potato, yams, all squash except pumpkin, brocolli, asparagus, cauliflower, etc.

Keep trying :)

Not at the moment no :unsure: My colon is really sensitive and I have OAS, I react to spices and fruits. I react to kiwi, citrus, berries, mango (I think), apples and I don't know about the rest. I get really sick from eating bananas, nightshades, barley and rye.

ps...carrots??

I can eat lightly steamed vegies, but cannot do raw.

Not even carrots, vegetables give me diarrhea. Maby when my colon is better :) I hope so!

GottaSki Mentor

Not at the moment no :unsure: My colon is really sensitive and I have OAS, I react to spices and fruits. I react to kiwi, citrus, berries, mango (I think), apples and I don't know about the rest. I get really sick from eating bananas, nightshades, barley and rye.

Not even carrots, vegetables give me diarrhea. Maby when my colon is better :) I hope so!

I hope so too...and I thought I was restricted!!!!

Heal up soon :)

klisja Rookie

I hope so too...and I thought I was restricted!!!!

Heal up soon :)

Thank you :D

seraphim Contributor

Dairy. Even the butter hates me. Possibly salicylates. Possibly nightshades, though potato doesn't SEEM to bother me.

designerstubble Enthusiast

I'm interested to know when you all say you are intolerant...

What symptoms do you get???

Just that I have continuing loose bowels (not really diarrhea so much i think) ... all I eat is fruit and veg... Would you guys cut something out if it gave you loose bowels???

Scary thought for me, I'd basically have bugger all left to eat.

GottaSki Mentor

My issue has always been the opposite -- can't go at all -- sometimes for over a week

But when I talk of intolerances - my symptoms are all over the place depending on which food -- from mild itching to brain fog to full anaphylactic reaction -- for me -- my reactions became much stronger after I had been gluten-free for some time.  Now it seems I can tolerate small portions of some things -- I've had a rough week so will not be trialing anything for at least a week, probably two.

bartfull Rising Star

My strongest symptom is psoriasis. All of these (corn, soy, and salicylates) make it flare badly. When I can avoid them (and gluten of course) for a long time, it completely heals. I get "loose" from all of them, but gluten seems to be the only thing that gives me "Get out of the way! Emergency!" D.

klisja Rookie

I'm interested to know when you all say you are intolerant...

What symptoms do you get???

Just that I have continuing loose bowels (not really diarrhea so much i think) ... all I eat is fruit and veg... Would you guys cut something out if it gave you loose bowels???

Scary thought for me, I'd basically have bugger all left to eat.

It depends on what I eat:

swelling of the lips (that is mostly by fruit, herbs, peppercorns): loose bowel with mucus and just feeling uncomfortable (vegetables, rye, barley, bananas), white wheat products get me really tired and stupid;  tingling feeling all over (corn, rose pepper). nose running - not sure, urticaria - not sure, headace (soy sauce)

Maby I should look into salicylate sensitivity, the list looks alot like mine and maby I can add the ones that are not on the list :)

designerstubble Enthusiast

Thanks Lisa. My life would be so much easier if I knew what was normal (poop wise!) ugh!

So I guess your reactions depend on the food and perhaps the quantity?? Do some of your reactions happen a day or two after... Like rashes and itching for example?

Sorry you've had a rough week, hope you feel better soon... Funny hey that these reactions get worse after being gluten free... You'd think the opposite would be the case! Hugs

Archived