This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 Year Old With Unusual Symptoms

rhubarbandjake

rhubarbandjake Newbie

Hi there,

I have just been offered a celiac test by my gp for my 3 year old but I'm sceptical she that she is suffering from this as she seems to not have the main symptoms - anyway here goes...

Since infancy she has had trouble pooping - more recently up to a week or longer without going and extreme pain when she does - sometimes taking another week to get it out (crying and lying on the couch for a week) She has a raised bumpy rash on her upper arms and cheeks but it is not too visible as it has only a little redness - it is not sore or itchy at all for her. She has been moody and cries a lot which is not her normal character. She has started to lose weight but is still withing the 50% percentile (was just above, now a little under). anyway after watching her get worse over the last 12 months I finally put her on a 10 day elimination diet (sugar, eggs, dairy & gluten) not 100% but 99% or enough to see if it was food causing the issue, she had instant improvement and has been the dear wee girl we used to know. She poops every 2nd day now (unformed but not fatty).

I reintroduced everything and only got a reaction from wholegrain bread - within 1 hour she was crying and had an allergy ring on her backside. - Took her to DR to get advice on how to figure out if it was wheat, additives etc and she suggested Celiac. Her cousin has the gene but no one actually has it in the family (although there are a few sensitives)

Does this sound like Celiac to anyone - she suggested I let her eat whatever for the next two weeks including gluten every day until we get a blood test - started today and her rash is back and she has been very easily upset  for about 90 minutes after each meal - then fine again

part 2 is that I am breastfeeding a 7 month old right now who is showing the same poop every 10 days, gassy symptoms his sister did at that age (although not as bad) - should I go gluten free as well - I have heard of developmental problems occurring and I'd rather not take a wait and see approach.  I doubt very much I would show positive to celiac disease as I have zero tummy trouble although... I do have ADD and endometriosis which I understand is linked.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Constipation is a pretty common symptom. It was one of my main symptoms too. My mom has told me that as an infant, I used to have to strain and cry. Changes in mood are a main symptom in childhood celiacs too. I think getting her testing is worth a try, especially after she had a positive reaction to a (mostly) gluten-free diet. I think that shows that she either has celiac disease or Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance/sensitivity (NCGI). NCGI has no diagnostic blood tests so you would need to try a 100% gluten-free trial and look for positive results... after she is done testing though, keep eating gluten until then.

The full celiac panel is:

• DGP IgA and DGP IgG (great test for detecting celiac disease in young children)
  • tTG IgA and tTG IgG
  • EMA IgA (detects advanced disease and is often negative in children)
  • total serum IgA (a control test)
  • AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less frequently used tests)

And as I said before, she could have NCGI if her celiac tests are negative, in which case she will need a strict gluten-free diet in order to feel well.

If you suspect problems in your 7 month old, you might want to get her and yourself tested... although I'm not sure if they test that young and if there is enough gluten in her diet for accurate results. Because celiac is genetic, you and their dad should also get tested. You might as well test before going gluten-free, just so you know if celiac disease is an issue for you.

Good luck and welcome to the board.  :)

cyclinglady Grand Master

I can't address the issues with the children, but I can tell you that I had no intestinal symptoms.  I have thyroiditis and iron deficiency anemia (Doc caught it during a routine physical).   There are four kinds of celiac and one of them without symptoms.  I think my source is either University of Chicago or UC San Diego.  You should get checked, if anything, to prevent other problems from developing.  

Good luck!  

rhubarbandjake Newbie

Thanks so much - just crossing fingers Dr is being dramatic!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

4. - Smith-Ronald replied to Soleihey's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lymph nodes

5. - Bayb replied to Bayb's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Trying to read my lab results

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .
    • Smith-Ronald
      Enlarged lymph nodes in neck and groin with celiac are not uncommon. They can take time to reduce even after going gluten-free. Monitoring is key.
    • Bayb
      Hi Scott, yes I have had symptoms for years and this is the second GI I have seen and he could not believe I have never been tested. He called later today and I am scheduled for an endoscopy. Is there a way to tell how severe my potential celiac is from the results above? What are the chances I will have the biopsy and come back negative and we have to keep searching for a cause?