This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Discrimination

grodeylocks

IrishHeart Veteran

. But the fact of the matter is that not unlike many other illnesses there is discrimination that exists towards celiacs in some cases, and we need to unite and face this when ever it happens.

we do, often and loudly.....but this just isn't one of them.  sorry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jestgar Rising Star

Lucky for you guys, science is way ahead of policy in this realm so that we probably will have much easier lives in about 5 years or so. I never once said anyone wasn't involved enough, all I said was that we should confront what isn't right when it happens and if you already do that well then great.

If their policy states "no outside food", then you were wrong, not them.

Gemini Experienced

Makes me wonder about Celiacs who are homeless. What about soup kitchens. God what a horrible situation. I'm sure there are some out there now that are forced to just gluten themselves.

I think if someone is homeless, they have bigger things to worry about than obtaining a gluten-free meal they don't know they need.  

tarnalberry Community Regular

but the fact is that I do have the right to be angry that an entity can deny me from bringing something in that clearly does no harm to no one. I mean it's not like I am saying that every place needs to provide gluten free options. However, is it really all that wrong of me to bring my own food to a place of social gathering so that I can not have to worry about getting sick. Really who is that harming?

No, you do not have that right. Well, you have the right to be angry, I suppose, as your emotions are your emotions and you are free to have them. But you don't have the right to bring in something that doesn't harm anyone. These are not places of social gathers you are talking about. These are private businesses selling a product or experience. You have every right to vote with your pocketbook and not support these places.

And, as others have mentioned, this is something that has to deal with public health safety regulations. Take it up with your state's health department.

Archived