This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dunkin Donuts gluten-free?!

Pegleg84

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Hi all

So, I don't live in the US so this probably won't apply to me, but while looking at gluten-free stuff in Chicago I just came across this annoucement:

Open Original Shared Link

from the article:

The coffee and breakfast chain owned by Open Original Shared Link. will sell gluten-free cinnamon-sugar doughnuts and blueberry muffins in all its U.S. stores this year, Stan Frankenthaler, the company’s executive chef, said in an e-mail.

“We recognize the importance of providing our guests with many options, including alternative choices for people with food and dietary restrictions,” he said. The pastries are packaged separately to avoid contamination from other foods that contain wheat flour.

So, if your local DD starts selling gluten-free, would you give it a shot? That is, depending on what goes on BEFORE they get wrapped in nice protective plastic. Honestly, I'd be nervous... and god knows what else is in them. But it's a good sign, I suppose. Does this mean the Canadian Holy of Holies, Tim Hortons, might jump on this bandwagon?

Anyway, a bit of interesting news. Maybe it's already been mentioned on the forum (if so, apologies)

Cheers

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I remember reading about them. What i remember :They aren't made at the donut store and wrapped, they are made in a gluten-free factory, wrapped and shipped to the store.

bartfull Rising Star

If there were a Dunk's here where I live I would happily be a guinea pig for you all. Although I can get their WONDERFUL coffee at the grocery store here, I SO miss their donuts! :(

Adalaide Mentor

I'm sure they are safe, from a gluten standpoint, and I truly applaud their effort to reach out. It is nice that with families where sometimes only one is required to be gluten free they won't be left out when everyone wants to go out for donuts. That said, I am guessing they are mostly like a cake donut, like all frozen donuts I have ever bought are. They are also so full of so many ingredients that while I may partake a single time the next time I visit back home in PA (we have no Dunkin Donuts here :() I probably won't do so more than that single time.

And omg yes, their coffee is sublime! It came to grocery stores here at the same time I gave up coffee. I died inside a little.

bartfull Rising Star

I'll drink some for you. :D

MissHaberdasher Apprentice

Awww mannn I haven't seen a Dunkin' Donuts around my area in years. Come back!!

w8in4dave Community Regular

Wow!! I hope alot of restaurants and donut shops jump on the band wagon!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

re: gluten free facility, that's good to hear. I hate it when they have articles like this but don't say the real magic words: made on dedicated lines!

Cakey is better than nothing. If anyone has chance to try one when they show up, do report back.

bartfull Rising Star

I was REALLY ticked off this morning while listening to The Marketplace Morning Report on NPR News. They mentioned that Dunk's was coming out with a new gluten-free donut. They said that more and more people are now being diagnosed with celiac. Then they mentioned that a lot of non-celiacs have decided to go gluten-free too "because they like pastries that taste terrible"!!!

I'd like to send then a box filled with delicious gluten-free products like Udi's Double Chocolate Muffins, some Canyon Bakehouse Bread, and maybe a doughnut from Dunks (you KNOW a place with such a great reputation wouldn't put out a gluten-free doughnut unless it tasted terrific). Then I'd ask them to retract what they said and apologize. But I wouldn't waste my money sending them all those goodies. :angry:

mommida Enthusiast

I will try them!  Dedicated lines and that they are "made for those with diet restrictions" means they are taking the time to make Celiac friendly products.

Celiac Specialties of Rochester, MI makes an excellent glazed donut.  They do have on-line sales from their website.(If you really want a great donut and have the $.)  They do contain eggs.

djs89 Rookie

It's nice that some places are starting to offer gluten free foods but I probably would pass. I still don't really want to eat rice flour, sugar, corn syrup, etc. for other health reasons. I can't eat sugar because my teeth have weakened enamel (which I think possibly celiac contributed to)

Lisa Mentor

Awww....come on guys!  It's another attempt from an establish company to cater to those of us with dietary issues. I applaud them! 

Nothing is going to be suitable to everyone, but give them kudo's for the try.  And if Karen is correct, they will be pre packaged and individually wrapped. Really....what more could you ask for?

I have never been a fan of donuts, pre diagnosis (I think they smell funny - maybe the yeast :unsure: ), but having a quick option when traveling, would be wonderful.

BRING IT ON DUNCAN!

shadowicewolf Proficient

I would be willing to try one :)

Darissa Contributor

We would love to try one and we were on vacation in Flagstaff, AZ this weekend, and we went to a DD there in town. My kids were excited to try them. We were going to try the muffin and donut. The workers at this DD had never heard of a prepacked gluten free anything!  They weren't sure what I was talking about! So hopefully they will start showing up in the restaurants!

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

Used to have one in walking distance, closet ones now would be a special trip but still as soon as possible I'll give it a try and post my report. :)

Just called they said they will not have them for at least another month.

• 2 weeks later...
Lizanne Newbie

Glad Dunkin is trying.  I hardly ever go there anymore for coffee (Starbucks instead.)  I will try it out for sure, more Gluten free options is a great thing.  Especially at a place that is everywhere in my state. :D

w8in4dave Community Regular

Not really about Donuts! But sure good to know for traveling reasons!! 

come dance with me Enthusiast

Gloria Jeans and Muffin Break local to us sell gluten free goods.  They are made off-site in a gluten free facility so once they sell out, that's it for the day.  We don't eat that type of thing but I like to ask about it so I can post on the local facebook group.

FabRik Newbie

I will be trying this for sure when it comes to my area. It's been a chore trying to find somewhere I know I can stop and grab something.

Gemini Experienced

I was REALLY ticked off this morning while listening to The Marketplace Morning Report on NPR News. They mentioned that Dunk's was coming out with a new gluten-free donut. They said that more and more people are now being diagnosed with celiac. Then they mentioned that a lot of non-celiacs have decided to go gluten-free too "because they like pastries that taste terrible"!!!

I'd like to send then a box filled with delicious gluten-free products like Udi's Double Chocolate Muffins, some Canyon Bakehouse Bread, and maybe a doughnut from Dunks (you KNOW a place with such a great reputation wouldn't put out a gluten-free doughnut unless it tasted terrific). Then I'd ask them to retract what they said and apologize. But I wouldn't waste my money sending them all those goodies. :angry:

Bartie....what do you expect from public radio?  Bunch of sissies.  I can't print here what I think of NPR.  Maybe, just maybe, one of those idiots who thinks our pastries taste terrible will actually have undiagnosed Celiac.  :lol:  

I am not a fan of DD's either.  They are not the same place that they were when I was a kid.  The donuts were never as good and the coffee is even worse.  It's not the same flavor so they obviously changed the type of coffee they use from the days of yore.  I am going back a long time so maybe that's inevitable.  All the good donut shops are gone but as we can't eat them anyway, I can live with that.  ;)

bartfull Rising Star

Gemini, I respectfully disagree with you on both points. NPR is the ONLY radio station I listen to. In depth news from several sources, including the BBC, great music - my station plays classical in the morning, jazz on weeknights, folk, rock and blues on the weekends. They even have a program devoted to Big Band - there's nothing to lift my mood like a little Ellington. I get Prarie Home Companion and Car Talk on the weekends, game shows like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and stories - Selected Shorts, This American Life, and The Moth Radio Hour. I don't nor will I ever own a TV. NPR radio is SO much better, even if I DID like TV, I would never have time to watch it.

And as for Dunk's, their coffee is heavenly IMO. I'm sure their sources have changed over the years like everyone else's, but the way they roast it - to me it tastes the same as it did when I forst started drinking it many many years ago.

Adalaide Mentor

And as for Dunk's, their coffee is heavenly IMO. I'm sure their sources have changed over the years like everyone else's, but the way they roast it - to me it tastes the same as it did when I forst started drinking it many many years ago.

If I ever fell off the wagon and drank coffee, it would be DD. It is the most sublime heaven in a cup. Just the smell, which is unlike other coffee is pure ecstasy. I found out a couple weeks back that we're getting a DD up in SLC. I squealed like a little girl when I heard the news. I didn't think to myself "oh I don't eat donuts" or "omg I don't drink coffee" I only thought about how I moved here something like 8 years ago and the closest one is in Vegas. Criminal. I can't remember the ingredients, I can either have the muffin or donut and not the other, but I'll probably drive up for one and just stand in there with my eyes closed and the dumbest grin on my face smelling the coffee and donuts.

Gemini Experienced

Gemini, I respectfully disagree with you on both points. NPR is the ONLY radio station I listen to. In depth news from several sources, including the BBC, great music - my station plays classical in the morning, jazz on weeknights, folk, rock and blues on the weekends. They even have a program devoted to Big Band - there's nothing to lift my mood like a little Ellington. I get Prarie Home Companion and Car Talk on the weekends, game shows like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and stories - Selected Shorts, This American Life, and The Moth Radio Hour. I don't nor will I ever own a TV. NPR radio is SO much better, even if I DID like TV, I would never have time to watch it.

I should have been more specific with regards to NPR.  I like many of the shows that you reference, including Cah Talk, but there are new guys on there and I liked the Magliozzi Brothers the best.  I also like Wait Wait Don't Tell me.  I find their news and editorials extremely biased but I know....you can say that about any news program today.  That's what I get for being a conservative in a liberal state!  :o   It's not biased in my direction..... ;)

love2travel Mentor

Are these actual doughnuts or just cake doughnuts? Have never been to a DD in my life!

Adalaide Mentor

I imagine from the pictures that their gluten free donuts are cake donuts, not awesome donuts. I do not have any confirmation of this though. I can make the fluffy ones at home, so whatever.

Archived