This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Got Sick

eblue

eblue Apprentice

Last night I stopped by a local our local kangaroo gas station and got a cherry slushie. I thought that surely a slushie would be safe. Well, I thought wrong. Within about 20 minutes after drinking it I started having all of my "I got glutened" symptoms. Stomach cramps, gas, bloating, lower back pain- all of which I get when I eat gluten.  I have only been diagnosed for a little over a month, and I have been extremely careful and havent eaten out much at all since then. In fact, I decided not to eat out for the rest of the summer to give my gut time to heal. But good grief, I didnt think a slushie of all things would hurt me! I was wrong :(

Have yall had any bad luck with slushies? I just dont understand what could have been in there that made me sick, unless its the artificial coloring. I read somewhere that coloring can have gluten...?

Im still sick this morning :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You can't ever assume something is gluten free. This is the sucky thing about eating gluten-free: spontenaity goes out the window.

You will compile a list of safe junk foods after a while - snickers, sodas, etc. but don't EVER assume something is gluten-free. You must always KNOW. If you can't read the ingredients or get confirmation do NOT put it in your mouth.

Ps - We ALL have done this at some point. Don't beat yourself up over it. Gluten is going a good job of that already. Hope you feel better soon.

psawyer Proficient

I read somewhere that coloring can have gluten...?

If you read that, the source was misinformed. Color (including caramel color) is gluten-free. A few people react to some specific colors. but that is not gluten related.
eblue Apprentice

Looks like I am not the only one who has had a problem with this

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/47862-coke-and-cherry-icees/

It has been 24 hours since I ate the icee and I am SO sick. My belly is in so much pain that it is sensitive to the touch. Stay away from convience store icees!!

kareng Grand Master

I see you are posting in several threads about your slushie experience. When you checked the ingredients, what was the gluten item? I have never seen any of these type drinks in the US with gluten - the ones I have checked.

kareng Grand Master

Looks like I am not the only one who has had a problem with this

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/47862-coke-and-cherry-icees/

It has been 24 hours since I ate the icee and I am SO sick. My belly is in so much pain that it is sensitive to the touch. Stay away from convience store icees!!

According to the company, all Icees are gluten-free.

Open Original Shared Link

eblue Apprentice

According to the company, all Icees are gluten-free.

Open Original Shared Link

Yeah I read that last night. Maybe its just a problem at my local gas station. I dont know. But I am still sick from it. And I know that is what made me sick because I was feeling great all day before I drank it. And then about 20 minutes after I started drinking it, all the symptoms started.

I am still sick. I havent noticed any intolerances to any other types of food so far, so other than gluten I don't know what else it could have been. And it felt like a gluten reaction. Who knows....I just hope I start feeling better soon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Yeah I read that last night. Maybe its just a problem at my local gas station. I dont know. But I am still sick from it. And I know that is what made me sick because I was feeling great all day before I drank it. And then about 20 minutes after I started drinking it, all the symptoms started.

I am still sick. I havent noticed any intolerances to any other types of food so far, so other than gluten I don't know what else it could have been. And it felt like a gluten reaction. Who knows....I just hope I start feeling better soon

Are Icees the ones that foam up? Those ones have always bothered me. I can do the straight frozen cokes or Koolaid type ones. But the foam up ones give me bloating. I think its whatever makes them " foam". Bothers my boys, too if they get a big one. And they do not have Celiac.

Edited: According to the Icee website, the foam is carbonation. But every flavor I have checked, the first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. I know at least one of us has a problem with that sometimes ( OK in small amounts - 1 soda and with food)

Now I'm wondering if it could be a bit of food poisoning?

Adalaide Mentor

Yup, Icee are the ones that are sort of "foamy." I've enjoyed a few in the past year and a half with no problem at all. It is an occasional indulgence when I find myself at a convenience store in the middle of summer and I can't get an ice cream cone. They are absolutely gluten free.

There are many reactions we can have things to that seem like a reaction to gluten but aren't. Just because you haven't had a reaction to something in the past does not mean you won't now. Besides, it is possible that you have been reacting to something(s) in the past but didn't know because your body was so overwhelmed by everything else going on. Also, it is not at all unusual for a reaction to something that did have gluten in it to be delayed by hours or even a day or two. It is possible that you ate something earlier in the day that just decided on that time to start bothering you with symptoms, which is normal for many people. It is also possible as early as you are into your diagnosis and gluten free diet that you're just going to have occasional random issues that can't be pinpointed at all while things clear up.

djs89 Rookie

Maybe it is something else in the slushie making you feel sick, possibly the excessive sugar? I would be sick if I had a slushie or soda, just because of the excessive sugars/corn syrup.

eblue Apprentice

I just dont understand. Its been 3 days since I drank the icee and I am still sick. My stomach is so bloated that I look 6 months pregnant, and I have had horrible gas and D. Last night I also experienced really bad anxiety, brain fog, and body aches (kind of felt like the flu) i know the website says gluten free but I am just so confused as to why I could be so sick from them. It feels like a gluten reaction. And theres no way that anything I had eaten earlier that day could have had gluten. Its not food poisoning either, because hubs had one and he did not get sick at all...Oh well...I guess I will never know...I just hope i get better soon 

eblue Apprentice

I, now wondering if it could have been the red dye...? I have never noticed problems with it but who knows

MissyBB Explorer

Maybe it is something else in the slushie making you feel sick, possibly the excessive sugar? I would be sick if I had a slushie or soda, just because of the excessive sugars/corn syrup.

This was my initial thought, too, when I first read the OP's post. If you are not accustomed to a boat load of over-carbing, as most celiacs don't have the luxury of doing, a Slushie can throw your blood sugar into over-drive. I know that I can't tolerate the sugar load in such drinks either.

Archived