This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New-Celiac-Diet-Training

Seefyboy

Seefyboy Newbie

Hey guys,

I'm new to this place and have a few questions to ask. After a long time of not knowing, I've found out that I'm a celiac! I was really surprised...

Since the age of 20 I've had bags under my eyes. I hated them, people my age shouldn't have eye bags I thought. 2 years later I had enough and decided to get surgery for them. They dissapeared for a month or two, and then came back! 5 grand out the window. Since then I've learned to live with them but always wondered why I have them. 

I've always had problems with my sinus aswell. Feels like I've a stuffy nose 7 days a week, with that bloated feeling around the eyes.

And finally, in the last year or so I've woken up many days with a big puffy swollen face! It's really dented my confidence. My cheeks and face look so round sometimes that I'm even embarrassed to go outside the door.

Now I've been into bodybuilding for the last 3 years so I presumed these symptoms were caused by products I was taking. I cut out supplements for months but still the symptoms of the puffy face persisted. Then I realized that one product I had not given up was Creatine. Creatine stores water in the body so I was 100% sure this was the problem. I went off creatine and a few weeks later I noticed my face started to look normal again.

But a few weeks later....puffy face back again! I was completely pissed off at this point. I had no idea what to do. So I had enough and went to a doctor for a check up.

That's when I discovered I'm a celiac. And my problem is, I change my meal plan around every week and it just so happens my face gets more swollen on certain weeks. The weeks that  eat a lot of pasta and oats.

So I've a few questions.

1. Is there any other methods of fixing my symptoms other than eating gluten free?

2. Does protein powder have gluten? The type I'm using is MusclePharm Combat.

3. Here is a list of what I'm eating/drinking every day now. Can you tell me if what I'm eating is ok?

-Low fat milk

-Basmati Rice

-Ground Turkey

-Ground Beef

-Coconut Oil

-Peanut Butter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Bags and puffy face? Had them! I just thought I was going to have to suck it up but it has gone away over the last few weeks now that I finally have an ideal dosage for my thyroiditis (hypothyroidism). Subclinical hypothyroidism can cause the puffy look. I fnally lost the puffiness when I got my TSH down to a supressed level of 0.11 (0.2-6.0 is my lab's range). That isn't going to work for everyone with a thyroid problem, but I was still puffy when my TSH was a "normal" 3.5.

Google hypothyroidism and see if it fits you. If you choose to get tested, request a TSH (should be near a one), Free T4 and T3 (should be in the upper 50-75% range of your lab's normal reference range), and TPO Ab.

Your questions:

1. Is there any other methods of fixing my symptoms other than eating gluten free?

Could be Thyroiditis. Dandelion can help reduce extra water in your body.  Lactose intolerance (common in about 50% of celiacs when they first go gluten-free) can cause some issues with bloating. That could be it.

Most don't but you should check. Mine doesn't. If it is a lactose issue it could be the whey. I switched to a vegan pp because it was still having some stomach issues.

3. Here is a list of what I'm eating/drinking every day now. Can you tell me if what I'm eating is ok?

-Low fat milk

-Basmati Rice

-Ground Turkey

-Ground Beef

-Coconut Oil

-Peanut Butter

It looks fine, but I'm assuming there are some greens and veggies in there too.  ;) 

bartfull Rising Star

You say you were surprised to find out you have celiac. Have you been diagnosed? If so, the answer to you question is ABSOLUTELY NOT. If you go gluten-free and stay gluten-free, making sure that you avoid cross contamination (see the newbie 101 thread), you may find that all of your other problems disappear.

Gemini Experienced

Bags and puffy face? Had them! I just thought I was going to have to suck it up but it has gone away over the last few weeks now that I finally have an ideal dosage for my thyroiditis (hypothyroidism). Subclinical hypothyroidism can cause the puffy look. I fnally lost the puffiness when I got my TSH down to a supressed level of 0.11 (0.2-6.0 is my lab's range). That isn't going to work for everyone with a thyroid problem, but I was still puffy when my TSH was a "normal" 3.5.

Google hypothyroidism and see if it fits you. If you choose to get tested, request a TSH (should be near a one), Free T4 and T3 (should be in the upper 50-75% range of your lab's normal reference range), and TPO Ab.

Your questions:

Could be Thyroiditis. Dandelion can help reduce extra water in your body.  Lactose intolerance (common in about 50% of celiacs when they first go gluten-free) can cause some issues with bloating. That could be it.

Most don't but you should check. Mine doesn't. If it is a lactose issue it could be the whey. I switched to a vegan pp because it was still having some stomach issues.

-Low fat milk

-Basmati Rice

-Ground Turkey

-Ground Beef

-Coconut Oil

-Peanut Butter

It looks fine, but I'm assuming there are some greens and veggies in there too.   ;) 

Another round of applause for nvsmom!!!!!!! Hypothyroid can cause all of the symptoms you describe.  Puffy eyes, especially bags under the eyes, and sinus congestion.  When your metabolism slows down from slugglish thyroid function, you can collect fluid under your eyes.  I have Hashi's thyroid disease and I have a little bag action going on under my eyes but it has not gone away.  I am also older so it might not.  My thyroid numbers are fine but it can still happen anyway.

I would definitely get that checked out.

Seefyboy Newbie

It's very interesting you should say this because thyroid problems run in the family. I will definitely get this checked out. Thank you <3

Archived