This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

When You Don't Get Glutened

Pegleg84

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Oh, Chicago, how I love thee!

This weekend I went to Chicago, again. For the 2nd time, it was one of the best gluten-free culinary experiences of any city I've been in. It's everywhere! and they seem to be much more conscious of cc and such because, for the 2nd time, I've been home for a couple days and NO GLUTENING! Yay!! I was even brave (or stupid) and ate the burrito stuff (in a bowl) they were using to make burritos at the BBQ, which could have been a CC disaster, but seems to be agreeing with me quite well. I had a few bathroom troubles, but they were more nerves/alcohol/forgot to take my enzymes related, and nothing to worry about.

Coming back from vacation without one bad incident feels like a victory! Gluten free happy dance!
As my boyfriend said, I should have all my meals flown in from Chicago. n

So, does anyone else have "victory" stories, times when you've done everything right AND it all turned out ok. Gluten-free happy dance moments?

Also, if you're ever in Chicago, go to Prasino's for the best gluten-free sandwich, Bountiful Eatery for entirely gluten-free fast food, and Big Star for the best tacos you will ever have (they only use corn tortillas).

And beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Cheers!

Peg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aeraen Apprentice

I travel frequently, and must admit the only time I've had no issues is when I brought and ate my own food.  However, I don't live too far from Chicago, and my husband and I like to visit at least once a year.  I'll be taking your restaurant list with me the next time I go. 

HumanDecency Contributor

Thanks for making me smile! I'll be adding Chicago to the vacation list.

I'm still working on eating at home... but hopefully someday restaurants will be back in the itinerary "other than water"

Tbolt47 Newbie

Oh, Chicago, how I love thee!

This weekend I went to Chicago, again. For the 2nd time, it was one of the best gluten-free culinary experiences of any city I've been in. It's everywhere! and they seem to be much more conscious of cc and such because, for the 2nd time, I've been home for a couple days and NO GLUTENING! Yay!! I was even brave (or stupid) and ate the burrito stuff (in a bowl) they were using to make burritos at the BBQ, which could have been a CC disaster, but seems to be agreeing with me quite well. I had a few bathroom troubles, but they were more nerves/alcohol/forgot to take my enzymes related, and nothing to worry about.

Coming back from vacation without one bad incident feels like a victory! Gluten free happy dance!

As my boyfriend said, I should have all my meals flown in from Chicago. n

So, does anyone else have "victory" stories, times when you've done everything right AND it all turned out ok. Gluten-free happy dance moments?

Also, if you're ever in Chicago, go to Prasino's for the best gluten-free sandwich, Bountiful Eatery for entirely gluten-free fast food, and Big Star for the best tacos you will ever have (they only use corn tortillas).

And beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Cheers!

Peg

Hello Pegleg84,

Born and raised in Chicago and prior to being diagnosed with Celiacs it is without a doubt one of the best cities anywhere if you enjoy food, and who doesn't. One of the foods I miss most is Deep dish Pizza . There are fair number of places to get very good thin crust gluten-free pizza but not Deep Dish. Very encouraging you had such great success with your diet on vacation. I am curious, so alcohol does not bother your Celiac's ? I have not found a Gluten Free Beer I like and really all forms of alcohol ( wine, gluten-free Beer, gluten-free Vodka etc.) gives me the same symptoms as though I have consumed gluten. I have been gluten-free for aprox. 6 months.

GottaSki Mentor

I'm headed to Chicago in the Fall -- thanks Peg for a great starting list!

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful trip :)

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I guess I put a little too much emphasis on the Chicago part of this post. I'm wondering about people's good experiences with... whatever. Maybe it's a family dinner that went well, or discovering that your local gluten-free bakery now makes doughnuts, or just going more than a month without any issues. "Yay! No glutening!" *happy dance* moments.

Gemini Experienced

I've been doing this for 8 years now and can honestly say it's a rare day when I am glutened.  You become more confident and educated as time goes by and that helps greatly.  I go to the UK or Ireland every other year and usually have great success with that.  I am extremely sensitive also and get sick from crumbs....really sick.  But I also bounce back much quicker because I am healed and well now....no deficiencies to slow that down. 

It is very possible to travel successfully while gluten-free.  I usually eat breakfast in and the only meal I eat out at is dinner.  It really is a good feeling when you accomplish this and further boosts your confidence.  No one should put off travel because they are afraid to eat meals outside of the home.  Unless you have multiple intolerances, even the most sensitive of us can travel and not spend the entire time sick. I am going to the UK in September/ October and I don't even take that much food with me. I buy it there as their supermarkets carry many gluten-free items.

Taking a suitcase of food, when you have other suitcases to lug around, is a royal pain in the arse.  I guess it all depends on where you go.

NYC is extremely gluten-free friendly also and a great city to visit...ditto for Boston!  I have a nephew in Chicago so will visit there sometime and take this list with me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived