This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Want Muscle Without Losing Weight

mgl702

mgl702 Newbie

Hey Guys,

19 year old male here 110 lbs 5'3" I know I'm little. I have had Celiac for about 3 years now and I am gluten free. I have always been pretty small but I like to workout, especially now that I am in college and have use of the gym, my problem is that I have such an easy time losing weight and not gaining muscle which my doctors hate. I am looking to start gaining muscle, but I have never lifted before in my life. I am the type of person that loves to run, this summer I don't really have the money for a gym membership but would really like to start bulking up on my own without sacrificing my running. I looked into starting to take muscle milk or protein but would have no clue where to start since I have never been a real weight lifter, more of a cardio guy. Really looking for workouts that gain muscle without losing weight and do not require me going to the gym Anyone help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I can tell you what the High School football coaches told my son - after working out, eat 2 PB & J sandwiches & a glass of milk.  The point being to eat a good amount of  calories and protein.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Here's a link to an older post on bodybuilding and celiac:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/70373-body-building-success/

ndw3363 Contributor

One of the keys to building mass is nutrition - you need to consume enough calories in the correct form.  Lots of protein and veggies with just enough carbs thrown in for energy.  I've been lifting for about a year and my progress stalled...did some research and realized I wasn't consuming nearly enough calories.  The more muscle to gain, the more calories (even at rest) you burn.  Also, if your goal is mass, you're going to have to cut back on the amount of cardio you're doing.  Definitely keep doing some (especially if you significantly increase your calorie intake), but if you run 30 miles a week, you won't see the bulk you want.  As far as gaining a lot of muscle without the gym, that's a tough one.  You could start with a standard set of dumbbells or resistance bands, but you won't make much progress if you keep lifting the same weight over time.  Since you mentioned having access to your college gym, I would take full advantage of that.  I recently began using workouts from bodybuilding.com and they have really helped (great nutritional advice on there as well - of course, make your gluten-free adjustments).  A year ago I was a tall, super skinny woman with no muscle tone.  In the last 5 months, I've gained a ton of muscle and can now almost legpress my body weight (5'9" 135lbs).  I try to increase weight every third workout on a particular muscle group, but go up weight slowly and only if I can keep proper form.  If you can tolerate whey, it's the best protein to buy (and usually tastes the best).  Make sure you find one that's gluten free - you can drink it straight, in a smoothie or even make protein bars with it.  Hope this helps!

~Strong is the new skinny!

mgl702 Newbie

One of the keys to building mass is nutrition - you need to consume enough calories in the correct form.  Lots of protein and veggies with just enough carbs thrown in for energy.  I've been lifting for about a year and my progress stalled...did some research and realized I wasn't consuming nearly enough calories.  The more muscle to gain, the more calories (even at rest) you burn.  Also, if your goal is mass, you're going to have to cut back on the amount of cardio you're doing.  Definitely keep doing some (especially if you significantly increase your calorie intake), but if you run 30 miles a week, you won't see the bulk you want.  As far as gaining a lot of muscle without the gym, that's a tough one.  You could start with a standard set of dumbbells or resistance bands, but you won't make much progress if you keep lifting the same weight over time.  Since you mentioned having access to your college gym, I would take full advantage of that.  I recently began using workouts from bodybuilding.com and they have really helped (great nutritional advice on there as well - of course, make your gluten-free adjustments).  A year ago I was a tall, super skinny woman with no muscle tone.  In the last 5 months, I've gained a ton of muscle and can now almost legpress my body weight (5'9" 135lbs).  I try to increase weight every third workout on a particular muscle group, but go up weight slowly and only if I can keep proper form.  If you can tolerate whey, it's the best protein to buy (and usually tastes the best).  Make sure you find one that's gluten free - you can drink it straight, in a smoothie or even make protein bars with it.  Hope this helps!

~Strong is the new skinny!

Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...
Little Joe Newbie

I think I am bit late to this discussion, but body weight exercises are a great way to get stronger without a gym.  Push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups/crunches/core, burpees, air squats, lunges, etc.  Every week or two increase the number you do per set.  With body weight stuff, I find it best to do as many reps as possible for several (two, three, even four) sets.  Much information is available online to help you develop a program that helps you meet your goals.  At some point, however, you want to add some weight.  When you don't have access to the gym, load up a rucksack with weight, and do your exercises (except running!) wearing the ruck.  For this, bricks and duct tape are your best friends.  Start with two bricks, tape them together so they are not flopping around in your pack.  Add a brick every week or two until you are carrying as many as you can carry.  The same exercises listed above, done while wearing a heavy ruck (or weight vest) will really help in putting on muscle.  Heck, these exercises should stay part of your program even when you have access to a gym.  While I do not advise running with weighted ruck, hiking with one (especially up hills) is also great exercise.

• 5 months later...
JamieRmusic Explorer

I'm also kinda late, but I can relate. After a long long time of doing research I have wrapped my head around how the body works and how to eat properly to get good gains.

Let me start off with this. If you think you eat enough then let me ask you this. Do you track your food? If you are serious about putting on weight you have to get serious about it. Find a calculator online and figure out how much your calorie consumption is at a base. Up that by about 200 calories, and maybe 300 once you start to lift some weights. As you gain muscle mass your body will demand more calories and you have to keep pushing the limit to make gains. As an example my rest calorie is at only 1500, but I eat nearly 3000 calories to see 0.2kg of muscle gain a week.

Now, you don't need a gym to gain muscles, but it will definitely help unless you can afford some basic stuff like a pull-up bar and a barbel / dead lift bar. I suggest beginning with something like this: 

Pushups: There are TONS of variations that make this exercise heavier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkbUOcbxDjw
Squats: Do squats with something held in your hands in front of you. To begin with find a chair and do sitting squats. Basically squat as if you were to sit on the chair, let your behind touch the edge of the chair and go back up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCuGMdLlSn4
Pull ups: Find a set of stairs, a bar of some sorts, a play ground or what ever and do pull ups. You can do negatives if your body does not allow you to do it just yet. Jump up and resist as much as you can on the way down. This will build more stress on the muscle weave than poorly done regular ones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfXuohjylwI
Plank: This is great for your core. You can find it on youtube. It will activate your shoulders, lats, back, your ass, your glutes, your hamstrings. Very very great last exercise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_iG_DWLdN8

If you are so lucky to have a playground somewhere then utilise it! There is a new movement around using it and not going to the gym. Bar brothers for instance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCojo2O7hw

There is a great website called Ectomorphworkout > http://ectomorphworkout.org/ectomorph-transformation/vince-del-monte-ectomorph-transformation/

This website was put together by Skinny Vinny. The skinny guy saviour. If you really want to learn how the body actually functions I suggest reading his eBook as it will teach you everything from a-z in an easy read. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCixwEZ66AiPF8EP86AqjVJA

I could go on and on, but for now I think this will help a little.

Just make sure to eat good clean foods. Carbs for energy, protein for building muscles and fat helps store vitamins in tissue etc. Drink a lot of water (I drink 3-4L a day on workout days and 3L on non workout). The water will help move your nutrients through your body to help building muscles and help recovery. Invest in a foam roller to massage out the knots and reduce soreness after harder workouts.

If you have any questions then don't be afraid to ask. 

Good luck my friend.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 years later...

You just need to do exercise more & more

• 1 year later...
Goofer Rookie

Being a former personal trainer to build muscle without losing weight you need to eat in a calorie surplus or close to your true TDEE Calories while lifting weights on a good routine with making progressive heavier lifts every time your in the gym.

Being Celiac doesn't really affect much just means you have to watch what you eat, the only difference is your body might not absorb all the nutrients depending on the condition of your Villi, So eat clean, lift heavy and have patients, it takes times to build muscle.

Archived