This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cross Contamination - The Bane Of My Life!

Greebo115

kitkatkid Newbie

I thought this might be a good place to ask instead of starting a new thread. I figured my choices were following everyone around the kitchen with a bottle of bleach spray lol...or replacing some items that would be more likely to CC, also my 14 year old's chore is dishes so I just assume it's not perfect.

I was assuming glass plates/cups were least likely to hold gluten and we don't go through a lot of pots and pans so I asked my daughter to use hot water and ample soap and scrubbing time on pots because we are on a tight budget and replacing pots and pans seems like a lot

the things I did replace and bought in bright green and red colors to make it easy for the kids, toaster, cutting board, plastic or wooden tools, rolling pin, spatulas, pasta drainer as stuff always seems to get missed when she washes a starchy drainer lol, mixing bowls, the tuperware in a bright color(cheap so it gets funky after a while with much texture and ridges), a set of three bright colored knives for food prep, even bag clips used for crackers and chips and never get washed in between bags so I got my own set in a different color for my gluten-free chips or snacks. I found flexible cutting mats to put down on the counter when prepping a gluten-free meal because we have horrible counter tops i don't even trust when we clean them. I got a bright colored butter dish for only gluten-free use, and red handled cheap silver ware. 

I thought this was a good plan to reduce CC but I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the pots and pans??? My daughter is a sweetie and takes the gluten-free thing seriously and doesn't want to get me sick. She's seen me the last 2 years first hand, in the bathroom all day, pulling over the car to wait out extreme stomach cramping so while I know she will do her best and I need help because of my physical spine disability, I guess my thinking is she isn't perfect she's young and crap happens and I wasn't sure if pots and pans, esp when oils are used, are likely to hang onto gluten in between uses. I rarely use dishes and opt for plastic cups and paper plates so the dishes seem silly but I am worried about the pans?

I couldn't afford to replace everything in one pop so i started with the plastic and wooden things and a toaster and also some bread baking pans. But in a week or so I will have the $$ if I need to replace the pots and pans and I found a nice set for 50$ with everything I would need... any thoughts on anything I might have missed???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

i replaced alot of stuff as i used it - still don't have a cooky press as i had to pass along my very old mechanical one that was passed down from my grandmother.  <it had 80+ years of gluten, no getting around that.  i make my own pasta, i got a new one of those.  still don't have new cupcake tins but i don't make cupcakes much ie when i decide i want/need muffins or cupcakes, i will buy new and one of my kids will have a new-to-them cupcake tin (actually, they made of that plastic/rubbery stuff, so i never liked them anyway lolz)   i started out using my old canning funnel, but then i thought, what ifff......  so for the next batch i got a new one.  you know, stuff like that and you're not dropping a big hunk of cash all at once.  i did get a new food processor but i wanted one anyway because i was still using a (broken) hand-me-down one from 1985   B)

Archived