This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Am I Super Sensitive Or Just Recovering?

Mike212

Mike212 Rookie

I am 15 and was diagnosed with celiac disease about a month ago. I am pretty sure I am not eating gluten for about half a month now except maybe for those under 20 ppm little bits. I have gas almost every day but it varies on the intensity and lately it has decreased. Sooo, my question is: is the gas because i am super sensitive to gluten and because I eat those little bits and they add up to give me gas or is it just because my villi haven't healed a lot and that is the cause??? I really don't know so any help would be greatly appreciated if maybe someone had this same situation? Also if I do a blood test for antibodies and the results come back close to the norm then does it prove that my villi are healing and I am gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

2 weeks gluten-free isn't enough time to get the diet right, much less heal up. Give it some time. Are you still eating dairy? You might want to cut it out for a month or 2. The damaged villi is the part that digests dairy so it can cause gas and bloating because they aren't getting digested.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

There isn't an easy way to tell if you are super sensitive or not.  A month isn't very long at all for healing.  You could reduce some of those processed things.  You can always try adding them back later.   I hope you feel better soon.  It is hard to try to do well in high school while sick all the time.  My super sensitive son is 16 and I see that with him.

Mike212 Rookie

2 weeks gluten-free isn't enough time to get the diet right, much less heal up. Give it some time. Are you still eating dairy? You might want to cut it out for a month or 2. The damaged villi is the part that digests dairy so it can cause gas and bloating because they aren't getting digested.

I am eating dairy but I just can't cut it out. I will literally have nothing to eat. But anyway thanks for the info about dairy maybe being the cause of the gas. I will keep that in mind.

Mike212 Rookie

There isn't an easy way to tell if you are super sensitive or not.  A month isn't very long at all for healing.  You could reduce some of those processed things.  You can always try adding them back later.   I hope you feel better soon.  It is hard to try to do well in high school while sick all the time.  My super sensitive son is 16 and I see that with him.

Thanks for the info and support. I think I may try to stop eating the 20 ppm foods but that makes my choice of food even slimmer. Anyway glad to see that I'm not alone.

kareng Grand Master

I am eating dairy but I just can't cut it out. I will literally have nothing to eat. But anyway thanks for the info about dairy maybe being the cause of the gas. I will keep that in mind.

Why would you have nothing to eat? BBQ chicken, chili, salads, veggies, fruits, meats, hot dogs, , PB on anything, stir fry, nuts, potatoes, Ore Ida fries, rice, beans, refried beans and tortilla chips, guacamole, etc.

I realize you are a kid, but surely your parents realize you were diagnosed with a real illness and would help you with food?

Mike212 Rookie

Why would you have nothing to eat? BBQ chicken, chili, salads, veggies, fruits, meats, hot dogs, , PB on anything, stir fry, nuts, potatoes, Ore Ida fries, rice, beans, refried beans and tortilla chips, guacamole, etc.

I realize you are a kid, but surely your parents realize you were diagnosed with a real illness and would help you with food?

My parents do help me a lot but making alot of that food and or buying it is a challenge for my mom and with my dad at work almost all day and barely sleeping. There are 3 other kids besides me. One who is disabled with a undiagnosed neurological disease and me and my younger brother both with type 1 diabetes. So my mom is always busy but she helps me alot with food but basically half my diet has dairy and alot of stuff you listed has little or no carbs and my problem is trying to find gluten free food with carbs that it quick to make.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

You can learn a lot about cooking on the internet.  It actually doesn't take that much longer to make a rice stir fry from fresh produce than it does to prepare it from a box.  You just need to get used to the routine.  My 16 year old son cooks up our veggies while I make the rice and he does a great job.

Mike212 Rookie

You can learn a lot about cooking on the internet.  It actually doesn't take that much longer to make a rice stir fry from fresh produce than it does to prepare it from a box.  You just need to get used to the routine.  My 16 year old son cooks up our veggies while I make the rice and he does a great job.

Thanks for your advice. I actually can cook but not that well. I will try and practice more and more. I guess it's just another routine I have to learn.

kitkatkid Newbie

My parents do help me a lot but making alot of that food and or buying it is a challenge for my mom and with my dad at work almost all day and barely sleeping. There are 3 other kids besides me. One who is disabled with a undiagnosed neurological disease and me and my younger brother both with type 1 diabetes. So my mom is always busy but she helps me alot with food but basically half my diet has dairy and alot of stuff you listed has little or no carbs and my problem is trying to find gluten free food with carbs that it quick to make.

Just wanted offer HUGS! that can't be an easy situation. I grew up with preoccupied parents for different reasons, but either way it's difficult and a lot of burden. I think that's incredible they still try to offer support with all they have going on, and kudos to you for recognizing all they are handling even though I'm sure it's tough for you. I'm not a huge fan of cooking for the sake of cooking so the idea of spending half my day in the kitchen is not my idea of a good time. I have found some fairly simple things I enjoy that don't take forever. I love rice and potatoes and once ehy are boiling on stove there is little intervention needed. Sometimes I take a big pacakge of hamburger and just mix it with the big pot of rice and spinach and I have so many leftovers it's ridiculous :) I do all natural lunch meat (gluten-free) they have some prepackaged ones that keep for a long time so i stock up once a month and do turkey/roastbeef and a slice of tomato, roll it up and enjoy. not glamorous but gluten-free bread is rather a pain and I prefer simple to spending so much per loaf. chiicken tenderloins can be thrown in the oven and pretty much ignored till they are done. rolled oats gluten-free are sold at walmart. Chex cereal is awesome just to munch on for a snack (cinnamon flavor). nuts are awesome to snack on, gluten-free, brown rice pasta I got from walmart was good and a gluten-free pasta sauce, or I mix the brown rice pasta with a veggie(walmart has some cheap frozen veggies I microwave and they are ready). Alot of the above is no more difficult that doing a boxed meal and it's so much easy to do gluten-free with pure ingredients as opposed to the label reading and searching involved required for some of these boxed things. I know for me I hate the label reading and laborous searching and have settle for fresh ingredients I know are naturally gluten-free. If you have a smart phone there is a decent gluten-free scanner. It doesn't have everything but it has a lot and when I'm shopping it tells me if something is gluten-free or not, also GFoverflow.com have a good list of things. Progresso also has some gluten-free soups that are quick to make obviously.

Good luck to you and to your family!

Mike212 Rookie

Just wanted offer HUGS! that can't be an easy situation. I grew up with preoccupied parents for different reasons, but either way it's difficult and a lot of burden. I think that's incredible they still try to offer support with all they have going on, and kudos to you for recognizing all they are handling even though I'm sure it's tough for you. I'm not a huge fan of cooking for the sake of cooking so the idea of spending half my day in the kitchen is not my idea of a good time. I have found some fairly simple things I enjoy that don't take forever. I love rice and potatoes and once ehy are boiling on stove there is little intervention needed. Sometimes I take a big pacakge of hamburger and just mix it with the big pot of rice and spinach and I have so many leftovers it's ridiculous :) I do all natural lunch meat (gluten-free) they have some prepackaged ones that keep for a long time so i stock up once a month and do turkey/roastbeef and a slice of tomato, roll it up and enjoy. not glamorous but gluten-free bread is rather a pain and I prefer simple to spending so much per loaf. chiicken tenderloins can be thrown in the oven and pretty much ignored till they are done. rolled oats gluten-free are sold at walmart. Chex cereal is awesome just to munch on for a snack (cinnamon flavor). nuts are awesome to snack on, gluten-free, brown rice pasta I got from walmart was good and a gluten-free pasta sauce, or I mix the brown rice pasta with a veggie(walmart has some cheap frozen veggies I microwave and they are ready). Alot of the above is no more difficult that doing a boxed meal and it's so much easy to do gluten-free with pure ingredients as opposed to the label reading and searching involved required for some of these boxed things. I know for me I hate the label reading and laborous searching and have settle for fresh ingredients I know are naturally gluten-free. If you have a smart phone there is a decent gluten-free scanner. It doesn't have everything but it has a lot and when I'm shopping it tells me if something is gluten-free or not, also GFoverflow.com have a good list of things. Progresso also has some gluten-free soups that are quick to make obviously.

Good luck to you and to your family!

wow! its like you've read my mind lol. I eat almost all of what you listed. The soup, rice, potatoes, chex, walmart gluten-free pasta, etc. Thanks for ur support and I am really lucky I have such great parents.

kitkatkid Newbie

wow! its like you've read my mind lol. I eat almost all of what you listed. The soup, rice, potatoes, chex, walmart gluten-free pasta, etc. Thanks for ur support and I am really lucky I have such great parents.

:D :D :D no prob, support should always be free :) hugs for mom and dad too! haha

I am such a creature of habit so thankfully it's not the end of the world!

Mike212 Rookie

:D :D :D no prob, support should always be free :) hugs for mom and dad too! haha

I am such a creature of habit so thankfully it's not the end of the world!

ikr, well i will let u know if i have anymore questions and thanks again for ur help

• 4 weeks later...
VIVES Newbie

Hello,

At first...sorry for my pretty bad English..;i'm french and mum of a 12 years old girl we just diagnosticated coeliac ( 2 months ago).

She always had stomach pains but now she is on  Gluten free diet...it continues...She doen't have any willi left...I just hope it's because we have to wait some more before knowing the goog effects of this really strict diet!

This forum seems very interesting...i'm just starting reading ! and performing my English writting at the same time !!!

A bientot

Archived