This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Epsom Salts?

AngieJoy

AngieJoy Rookie

Hi folks,

I'm preparing to do a liver flush, and it requires taking epsom salts orally. I've done several of these and it really made a huge difference to my health, but I'm having trouble finding gluten free epsom salts. Publix supermarket makes one, but we've checked all the stores around me and no one is carrying them. Does anyone know of other brands that are gluten free?

And this may be a weird question, but wouldn't we want our epsom salt to be gluten free even if using it in a bath?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I'm not going to argue the lack of scientific evidence for this " flush" but....why would Epsom salts have gluten? Isn't it just Magnesium & sulfate out of the ground?

AngieJoy Rookie

I'm not going to argue the lack of scientific evidence for this " flush" but....why would Epsom salts have gluten? Isn't it just Magnesium & sulfate out of the ground?

Of course its not only the ingrdients that count as you know. it could be cross contamination that makes something inappropriate. I always try to stick to things that check out with proper processing.

As for scientific evidence, all I know is that it radically changed my blood test results for the better, and it cleared up some very serious symptoms.

kareng Grand Master

Of course its not only the ingrdients that count as you know. it could be cross contamination that makes something inappropriate. I always try to stick to things that check out with proper processing.

As for scientific evidence, all I know is that it radically changed my blood test results for the better, and it cleared up some very serious symptoms.

So....how would a rock get cross contaminated? I think you are making this harder on yourself than you need to. But, I guess you need to call the companies.
AngieJoy Rookie

cross contamination can occur any time during the production process.

Has anyone else out there looked into gluten free epsom salts?

kareng Grand Master

cross contamination can occur any time during the production process.

Has anyone else out there looked into gluten free epsom salts?

Fine...I just like to use a little common sense. It's dug out of the ground and the machinery, trucks, etc wouldn't be suited for wheat.

So...I guess you would need to call the companies and the mining facilities. I doubt any companies go to the expense of testing them for gluten. Any that say they are gluten-free will be saying that because they don't add any gluten or even have any in the factory.

Lisa Mentor

Hi folks,

I'm preparing to do a liver flush, and it requires taking epsom salts orally. I've done several of these and it really made a huge difference to my health, but I'm having trouble finding gluten free epsom salts. Publix supermarket makes one, but we've checked all the stores around me and no one is carrying them. Does anyone know of other brands that are gluten free?

And this may be a weird question, but wouldn't we want our epsom salt to be gluten free even if using it in a bath?

Thanks! 

What in the world  would make you do such a thing.

If you are having problems, PLEASE contact a doctor.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

You are welcome to research further...but I soak in epsom salt EVERY morning to get my locked up muscles moving and personally never felt the need to check for gluten and have never had any sort of reaction -- only healthful benefits from this morning ritual.

As I use a large quantity I have used every brand available in Southern California and am currently looking to find a better bulk option...to date I can't seem to find better than 88 cents for two pounds at walmart.

notme Experienced

seriously - oral epsom salts - not good for a sensitive digestive system.  are you doing this under medical supervision.  dr. de mento doesn't count.

AngieJoy Rookie

What in the world  would make you do such a thing.

If you are having problems, PLEASE contact a doctor.

I did see a doctor.

After doing my first liver flush, my very elevated cholesterol, triglicerides, and ANA all came down into normal the range.

The pain I had in my liver/gallbladder area was gone.

The severe nausea I had whenever I ate anything with fat in it vanished.

So for me it was worthwhile.

Gemini Experienced

seriously - oral epsom salts - not good for a sensitive digestive system.  are you doing this under medical supervision.  dr. de mento doesn't count.

Dr. Demento?  You are too funny, Arlene!   :D  :D  :D   You have a wicked sense of humor!

Marilyn R Community Regular

I did see a doctor.

After doing my first liver flush, my very elevated cholesterol, triglicerides, and ANA all came down into normal the range.

I don't think Epsom salt's are good for your kidneys taken orally.  As for soaks, I use the Wally World brand regularly. 

GottaSki Mentor

I did see a doctor.

Glad this worked for you.  I do feel the need to add -- be careful with your already impaired system - more isn't always better.

There are many ways to improve all of the measurements you noted nutritionally as well.

By the way...I forgot...Welcome to the Forum :)

AngieJoy Rookie

Ok guys - I was on my ipad so couldn't type much, but I'm back to my PC.

Thank you for the info GottaSki. I appreciate your sharing your experience. I'll definitely use the walmart epson salts for bathing, and I'll call walmart to see if it's gluten free for ingesting.

Also, notme!, I've got a super sensitive stomach and have never had problems with epsom salts. It's basically magnesium, and meant to be used internally as long as there are no additives like fragrance for the bath. If you look at the package you'll see it's got directions for use with constipation.

Now I've only had good experiences posting here in the past, and I've learned so much from this site. I have to say that I'm really surprised and disappointed at the hostility some of you are exibiting. I would think you have all experienced enough criticism in your lives so that you'd want to be sensitive and respectful to others on this forum, even if you disagree.

In response to the comments about liver flushing - I have several debilitating chronic illnesses and I've found that some "unproven" alternative treatments have literally kept me alive and functioning. I believe that if I followed all of the mainstream medical recommendations for these problems I might not be here. I also believe if I didn't research and apply some of these unproven practices, I literally might not be here.

There are good alternative treatments and bad ones out there, but some tactics with incredible results remain unproven because they're not patentable, so no one will put the massive amounts of money needed to do a study into it. For example, liver flushes - who's going to profit by putting millions into a study? No one, because there's nothing there they can get a patent on. So it's never done. Does that mean it doesn't work? No.

Many alternative docs out there are using things like liver flushes with fantastic results. Just like there's risk in taking a pharmeceutical, there are sometimes risks for these alternative treatments. Each person must weigh the risks for themselves, just as with allopathic medicine.

I weighed the risks and I'm so glad I did the liver flushes, as well as several other types of alternative treatments. I've had great results, as I mentioned. I know others who would say the same thing.

By the way, I don't believe that epsom salts will cause kidney damage, but those with kidney disease may not be able to process the extra magnesium in epsom salts, so should avoid it.

Lastly, this board is for those with celiac and gluten intolerance. I find it really surprising and disappointing that I'm being criticized for trying to determine if something I want to ingest is gluten free or not. If you think I'm unneccesarily concerned or going further than I need to with my precautions, feel free to tell me. I'd like to know. But I'd think it could be said with kindness and respect rather than sarcasm and criticism. 

Regardless, thanks to those who are contributing and trying to help.

AngieJoy Rookie

Hi Gottaski - thanks so much for the welcome.

You're very right about the nutritional modifications for the cholesterol and triglicerides, and there are some drugs that can help as well. I tried the nutritional approach but it wasn't working. The drugs have side effects that I couldn't afford to have. The liver flush did the trick, so I was lucky.

greenbeanie Enthusiast

This thread got me thinking that I should try Epsom salts in a bath, since I've had SI joint pain for decades that hasn't responded to other treatments (acupuncture, massage, cortisone shots, etc.). I put two cups in a full bath, as the package said. Within minutes, my feet got a painful pins-and-needles feeling, and my skin got very red everywhere that was in the water. The water was slightly hot but cooled off quickly; it really wasn't anywhere near hot enough to cause this reaction from temperature alone. I stayed in the bath for about 15 minutes, and then about 10 minutes after I got out I suddenly felt very nauseous. The nausea went away after a little while. Is this a normal reaction of the body detoxifying? These were ordinary, plain Epsom salts with no added fragrance or anything like that. I am on my fifth day gluten-free, so I'm sure I am detoxing in general, but this still seemed like an unusually powerful reaction to have to a simple bath. 

Sorry this is slightly off of the original topic. I considered starting a new thread, but it seemed silly to have two threads about Epsom salts going simultaneously...

GottaSki Mentor

This thread got me thinking that I should try Epsom salts in a bath, since I've had SI joint pain for decades that hasn't responded to other treatments (acupuncture, massage, cortisone shots, etc.). I put two cups in a full bath, as the package said. Within minutes, my feet got a painful pins-and-needles feeling, and my skin got very red everywhere that was in the water. The water was slightly hot but cooled off quickly; it really wasn't anywhere near hot enough to cause this reaction from temperature alone. I stayed in the bath for about 15 minutes, and then about 10 minutes after I got out I suddenly felt very nauseous. The nausea went away after a little while. Is this a normal reaction of the body detoxifying? These were ordinary, plain Epsom salts with no added fragrance or anything like that. I am on my fifth day gluten-free, so I'm sure I am detoxing in general, but this still seemed like an unusually powerful reaction to have to a simple bath. 

Sorry this is slightly off of the original topic. I considered starting a new thread, but it seemed silly to have two threads about Epsom salts going simultaneously...

I agree that it is good to keep all the epsom talk in one place.

My first thought is that you should take another bath tomorrow at approximately the same time and temperature without epsom salt to see if just sitting in a warm tub caused this reaction.

kareng Grand Master

We were talking about Epsom salts baths in yoga. A couple people said they like it half strength.

VeggieGal Contributor

I've never tried Epsom salts but think I may now as it looks like from this info, that even bathing in it can have an effect on kidneys and liver etc....unless I've read it wrong? (I am tired and its gone past my bedtime!). Also, I may try my son who has dyspraxia/autism.

Open Original Shared Link

greenbeanie Enthusiast

My first thought is that you should take another bath tomorrow at approximately the same time and temperature without epsom salt to see if just sitting in a warm tub caused this reaction.

I tried a normal, similar bath (without Epsom salts) and nothing unusual happened. I do often take baths, and they've never made me nauseous before. An hour later I tried a foot bath in the salts, and I got all tingly and nauseous again! Weird.

I'll try a foot bath with a much smaller amount next time, and see if I can work my way up. It would be nice to have an alternative to oral magnesium supplements once in a while, though I tolerate the pills just fine as long as I take them with food. Thanks for the suggestions.

GottaSki Mentor

I tried a normal, similar bath (without Epsom salts) and nothing unusual happened. I do often take baths, and they've never made me nauseous before. An hour later I tried a foot bath in the salts, and I got all tingly and nauseous again! Weird.

I'll try a foot bath with a much smaller amount next time, and see if I can work my way up. It would be nice to have an alternative to oral magnesium supplements once in a while, though I tolerate the pills just fine as long as I take them with food. Thanks for the suggestions.

Interesting....thanks for the update :)

Meanwhile....I continue to soak each morning -- to get muscles/joints moving -- not sure how much this helps as magnsium supplementation.  Do know that my skin has been glowing of late -- which is nice.

• 1 year later...
livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

AngieJoy did you have any luck finding gluten free or certified gluten free Epsom salts? I'm extremely sensitive to cross contamination and can't seem to use ANYTHING that's not verified. Epsom salt baths significantly help my rls and muscle spasms when I get glutened but I want to make sure I can find and use soemthing safe for me. I'm disgusted at how rude some of these comments have been towards your very legitimate question. I am only wish I wasn't this sensitive and didn't have to check everything I ingest, touch, bathe in, put on my face or inhale but such is my life. And I am part of a good support group of people who are mostly even more sensitive than I am. Any info on the Epsom salts would be totally appreciated!

kareng Grand Master

AngieJoy did you have any luck finding gluten free or certified gluten free Epsom salts? I'm extremely sensitive to cross contamination and can't seem to use ANYTHING that's not verified. Epsom salt baths significantly help my rls and muscle spasms when I get glutened but I want to make sure I can find and use soemthing safe for me. I'm disgusted at how rude some of these comments have been towards your very legitimate question. I am only wish I wasn't this sensitive and didn't have to check everything I ingest, touch, bathe in, put on my face or inhale but such is my life. And I am part of a good support group of people who are mostly even more sensitive than I am. Any info on the Epsom salts would be totally appreciated!

The Op was talking about "eating" them.  I would think they would be fine for bathing.  I can''t see where gluten  cc could happen as you wouldn't make other things on that type of manufacturing line or in the mine?  I doubt any company would tell you they tested them for gluten as the product and the processing would have nothing to do with gluten.

SMRI Collaborator

Where exactly in the process would Epsom salt come in contact with a gluten containing product????

Epson salt makes a wonderful lawn fertilizer too.  Gives your grass that deep, deep green color :D.

mommida Enthusiast

Calm down people. :o

This should be a simple question.  Food safe sea salt and Magnesium Sulfate,  sea salt is in the spice section (I trust McCormick brand) and Magnesium Sulfate can be found in the vitamin section (not sure of a first choice brand to suggest).  I would not look in the bubble bath area for this use of the products.

The first rule for Celiacs is to verify that something is gluten free. :D

Archived