This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Intolerances - How Do You Know?

Lasmamoe

Lasmamoe Newbie

Alright, so here's my situation.

I have never had any digestive issues in my life. No bloating or anything (so i remember).

However, i have had bad acne from when i was about 14 years old, up until right about 21. (I am 21 now, and i started gluten free about 3 months ago).

I am now Gluten, Dairy and Grain free, and my Acne is almost completely gone, which is great!

I really want to add some rice or potatoes back into my diet, but when my only symptoms are some pimples here and there, i find it incredibly hard to decide if i am intolerant to something.

If i ate rice, and immediately felt bloated an uncomfortable, that would be great, because then i would know for sure.

But if i eat rice, and feel great for a couple of days (maybe weeks) and then start getting bad skin all of a sudden, that would suck a lot, because i DONT want to have bad skin again :(.

I hope you understand my "problem".

Best regards.

Lasse.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I would imagine that any skin reactions (new acne) you would have to food sensitivities would be within a day or so of the exposure and the dispappear within a week or so once the offending food is out of your system, but I'm not well versed in this area. Hopefully someone else can offer you advice.  :)  Best wishes.

Juliebove Rising Star

Dairy caused pimples for me when I was younger.  Now at 54 I just get stomach issues.  I have had blood and hair tests for intolerances.  They worked for me but some people find them iffy.

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome Lasse!

I think I understand what you are saying.

Here is what I would suggest to one of my kids....

Keep eating what you know to be "clean" foods for you for a bit more time.

Then try ONE of the foods you would like back....since you see results in the skin I suggest eating the item -- let's say rice for a few days and then wait at least two weeks before trialing another food.

Glad you found some improvement...hang with it :)

PS...be sure to journal the results...this trial thing can be a real b%$@#.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I had blood tests for antibodies to various foods and they helped me to know what to avoid and what to take a break from.  After some time I began to add back foods that I had low levels of antibodies to and have so far added them back without problems. 

A rotational diet, only eating each food family every 4 days, helped me too.  It became easier and easier to pinpoint which foods gave me issues.

If you have villi damage you may need digestive enzymes to break down your food while healing takes place.

D

Archived