This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mama Knows Best

Rowena

Rowena Rising Star

Or so my kid seems to think tonight.  I mean I love my kid to death, and LOVE snuggling him and holding him.   But he is SOOOOO mama-ized tonight!  I can't even go to the bathroom without him freaking out... So what do I do?  I bring him with me and lay him on the bathmat in front of me so he can see me. 

He's always been a Mama's boy, but now that he's teething, I swear, its become ridiculous... Good thing I love him to death and find him completely and utterly irresistable... but I've not even been able to eat more than five bites of the soup that I've literally reheated five times now.

Anyway, suggestions for a mamaized three month old?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Where's Daddy? Might be time for some Daddy time!

When they are that age and don't feel good, they want someone to hold them. Some babies aren't as picky about who holds them.

When Little Goober is feeling better - that's the time to teach him a little " alone" time. Laying on the floor or sitting in a seat with Mommy eating her soup or spending time with Daddy or Grandma or a friend. Mine were never very clingy. From about 10 days old, they thought they had too much to do to be held and constrained.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Or so my kid seems to think tonight.  I mean I love my kid to death, and LOVE snuggling him and holding him.   But he is SOOOOO mama-ized tonight!  I can't even go to the bathroom without him freaking out... So what do I do?  I bring him with me and lay him on the bathmat in front of me so he can see me. 

He's always been a Mama's boy, but now that he's teething, I swear, its become ridiculous... Good thing I love him to death and find him completely and utterly irresistable... but I've not even been able to eat more than five bites of the soup that I've literally reheated five times now.

Anyway, suggestions for a mamaized three month old?

He's three months old.  He's just spent the entire nine months of his life snuggled warmly in a wet, dimly-lit, noise-muffled environment with 24/7 food.  He's going to want you (some kids aren't picky, but some are) more or less all the time.  And that's normal.  Biologically, he IS helpless, and doesn't understand that your living room is a safe place to be alone - because three month old babies left completely alone thousands of years ago were NOT safe.  I'm not saying to never let him out of your sight and to hold him 24/7, but I think it's important to try to understand what he might be feeling.

I will say, my husband mastered the art of holding a baby and going to the bathroom at the same time.  I never did.  But it did get easier once she had great neck control, and easier still once she could sit on her own.  But yeah, we had a Boppy on the floor in the bathroom for just this sort of thing.

You might also look into getting a carrier (I love woven wraps and soft structured carriers (like the Ergo) myself, but there are a huge number of options) which allows him to be snuggled with you, but you to have your arms free to use on whatever you need.  You can even eat while he's in the carrier (some of us put napkins on the kid's head so they don't get food on it... ;) ).

But mostly, this is how motherhood of an infant goes.  These parts get better.  Other parts get worse.  Well, not really better/worse.  Things change.  That's the only constant, these things will keep changing.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I found a baby carrier really helpful too, and just carried my 2 little ones around everywhere. Wanting to be with you is all perfectly normal.

Becoming a Mum is fantastic, but tough. Can you meet up with other Mums in your area? It helped me enormously to know I was not the only one going through this. It was a running joke around here that we never got to have a cup of tea that was still hot...

Hang in there, it will get better. Make sure you get support and talk to people.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Savor it!  He'll be grown before you know it.  Then it will be "Oh, Mom" with the eye rolling thing! 

I co-slept with my daughter and used a carrier.   I also left her on the floor when I showered or used the bathroom.  It seems like this stage will last forever, but it won't.  

I like Celiac MindWarp's idea.  I belonged to MOMS Club for years.  It really helps to bond with other women. 

And finally, thank goodness for microwaves.  They are perfect for reheating coffee and tea! 

nvsmom Community Regular

Ditto the others. a baby sling and a playgroup were life savers to me.. My kids went everywhere with me (they still do - they're homeschooled LOL) so I know how much a few minutes of alone time can mean. (hugs)

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...
Loey Rising Star

I agree about enjoying your sweet angel now. They grow up SO fast!!!

OK this always calmed down my son when he was a baby up until about 1st grade. I would gently rub the bridge of his nose (near his eyes) and it would soothe him and often put him to sleep.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rowena Rising Star

What?  I didn't actually post a resp9onse to all ya'll's input?  I SWEAR I did!  Mommy brain at it's best (err worst would be a better term I guess)

I am forever losing posts when my phone decides to eat them for me or something :angry:

How is the little one now? Any more settled? I think mine started getting teeth not long after 3 months which was a bit tricky. Those first few months are hard work, I never knew how little sleep I could get through the day on. (Mind you, we broke quite a lot of things, most spectacularly a cast iron pan. It didn't to the kitchen floor much good when we dropped it either :ph34r: ).

Best wishes Mw

Loey Rising Star

I'm showing my age here but for teething we used to rub sweet wine on his gums (just a teeny tiny little bit). Then my DH & I would have a glass of wine and finally relax when he DS finally did. I don't know if moms still do that.

I could happily pass out or speak gibberish without the help of wine when mine were little!!!!

Rowena Rising Star

Dare I ask how you managed to break a CAST IRON pan?  That's actually pretty impressive!  Love it!  (Not that I'm unable to break that which would seem impossible to break.  Ask my hubby and his cousin, they call me incredible hulk!)

As for my LO, he's doing better, still a mama's boy, but he'll allow others to hold him now, and I'm pretty sure his teeth will cut through any day now.  (The screams he wakes up with suggest that at any rate).  He 'talks' a ton too!  And he even sleeps through the night!  I love it!  He also seems to be slightly less cranky now that we've switched to cloth diapers as opposed to disposables.  He's got really sensitive skin, and the cloth diapers have been amazing!  No more redness!

Aw, that all sounds much better :)

The pan dropped from about 4 feet or so onto a hard ceramic tiled floor. I think it must have hit at just the right angle.... Broke the floor tile too. I'm still quite impressed 6 years on.

Keep it up Mom :)

Loey Rising Star

Dare I ask how you managed to break a CAST IRON pan?  That's actually pretty impressive!  Love it!  (Not that I'm unable to break that which would seem impossible to break.  Ask my hubby and his cousin, they call me incredible hulk!)

As for my LO, he's doing better, still a mama's boy, but he'll allow others to hold him now, and I'm pretty sure his teeth will cut through any day now.  (The screams he wakes up with suggest that at any rate).  He 'talks' a ton too!  And he even sleeps through the night!  I love it!  He also seems to be slightly less cranky now that we've switched to cloth diapers as opposed to disposables.  He's got really sensitive skin, and the cloth diapers have been amazing!  No more redness!

So glad to hear that the LO is sleeping better. If you get more sleep you'll be able to enjoy your baby!

Archived