This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Otc Supplements To Treat Symptoms

Mad Engineer

Mad Engineer Newbie

When I started going gluten-free, I had a pretty bad case of depression for weeks and I basically tried every single supplement on Amazon that had a good review to alleviate the depression....None of them really did a whole lot for me. (at one point I was taking pills from 5 bottles at a time... lol)

Obviously there's no cure to what we have but has anyone had any luck with OTC supplements to help with the symptoms ? 

for me, its the brain fog that I'm still dealing with... there's a bunch of stuff that claims to improve cognitive ability (I learned the term Nootropics in my research) has anyone have real experience with anything that helps with their symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Vitamin B12 sublingual, all natural supplement helped my brain fog and fatigue, until I got too much of it and got brain fog and fatigue!  Digestive enzymes are helping me to break down my food as my villi are healing.  My villi are too damaged to do the job of telling the pancreas to fire.  I take a multi-vitamin and am currently trying to find an over the counter powdered one that will work for me.  I have been getting it through a health practitioner and it has worked wonders for me.  I had nutrient levels tested and  found out what other food intolerances I had.  This helped me with brain fog.  I make sure to buy natural products which I feel are taken into the body better.

Mad Engineer Newbie

any special kind? I tried a subligual B complex drop.. it does hype me up some what. I made the mistake of taking it right before bed one time and had an even harder time falling asleep then usual. 

I've briefly read some stuff on folate (which I think its B5?) that some people had success with brain fog?

All of the Natural food store Vitamin B sublingual tablets worked, so no special kind.  I am low in folate, but now my vitamin B12 is good.  I have a clear mind now!  For me, anyway B12 seemed to be the key.  I am working on bringing up my Folate by taking a vitamin B supplement with it and taking more green vegetables. I am looking for a supplement to give me a boost; however I have so many intolerances that supplements are hard to find.

D

Mad Engineer Newbie

Thank you for the tip about the B vitamins. I did some more research and found out there are many forms of B12. The most common form is the cyanocobalamin which is less potent and breaks down to negligible amount of cyanide. I bought some of the methylcobalamin which is supposed to be more absorb-able.

during my search in B-vitamins learned about MTHFR polymorphism, (reduced ability to process folate) which seems to help people with chronic fatigue, esp with mental fog.  This probably belongs in a separate post but some of the treatment "protocols" basically involves taking methylcoblamin and folate in the form of l-methylfolate.

I don't know how much real science is behind it but I've reach the point of trying stuff that may work in a 'shotgun approach" (especially when these supplements are so inexpensive compared to prescription drugs and probably less side effects). Anyway I've taken the two for a few days and I'd have to say my energy level is up and my mental fog is maybe 50-75% gone. its no miracle cure and I'm not 100% cured yet,  but hopefully someone finds this useful. 

Who'd knew such a cheap common vitamin can have such an impact on energy levels!  (I should probably get tested for the MTHFR genes to make sure I actually do have this genetic defect and its not all in my head)

Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas, please share!

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Hi there

I found b12 good too, and when I made sure I wasn't getting cross contamination and cleaned up my diet, to mostly paleo had great improvements. Brian fog is now one of my first symptoms when glutened, along with a kind of instant feeling of hopelessness which last about 3 days.

Might be worth checking for any sneaky cc happening.

Glad you are getting some relief already, depression ain't fun.

Welcome to the board :)

Are you doing enzymes and Probiotic?  My Healthline Restore Probiotic seems to be doing something.  I am planning to try their enzymes as well, but for now I am taking Integrative Therapeutics, Inc enzymes which I get through my health practitioner.  I have also had success with enzymes from health food stores.  I can't remember exact brands, but have had success from several.  One of my favorite brands at the health food store are Nutrition Way.  I am not sure they do enzymes, though.

If you have adrenal issues you can look up herbs to support your adrenals.  I am using Astragalus, Siberian Eleuthero, and licorice in a preparation I purchased from my health care provider.  They advised me to go buy herbal singles from the store and I found them surprisingly inexpensive compared to other supplements. 

I really like to talk about these natural things.  They can be very powerful, so caution is warranted.  I once burned a sprained leg, that I was trying to help, by applying  a dry mustard compress.  I know of someone that burned their finger with garlic.  Check with a healthcare provider, and/or carefully study it out, so you do no harm.

D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived