This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Holy Molybdenum Batman. Eating Out gluten-free Is Hard

rene83

rene83 Rookie

Hello my fellow celiacs. I hope you are all doing well. So after my diagnosis I have tried to avoid eating out as much as possible due to the risk of cc and the general ignorance of some of the food service workers. Some recent frustrations that I would like to point out as it may amuse/help some of you.

1. Although mexican food should be safe it ISN'T. I know every restaurant within 60 miles of us used flour in EVERY sauce. Even flan. Holy s$#&ake this is annoying as hell. As an excellent home cook who knows how sauces etc should be prepared knows flour shouldn't be in them has been duped. And consequently early on I was glutened thinking these foods were safe not even thinking about how restaurants don't want to reduce sauces down properly as they lose resources and money.

2. I have found that even desserts that have no business having gluten in them do, like Yardhouse's creme brulee. Please shoot me already. This is getting ridiculous. Eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla bean. I could make this in my sleep and these jackenapes put gluten crap in it

3. The movie theatre. Popcorn should be safe right? Guess what? NOT! Oy vey. I am dying here. At least I can bring in my own tasty popcorn that I pop at home and if they give me guff I can tell them to suck my mesocolon until they get gluten-free alternatives lol

4. I got glutened soooooo bad this past weekend. Went to Wolfgang Puck which has an amazing gluten-free menu, ordered the gluten-free pasta and was stoked it wasn't penne or spaghetti shaped. The manager comes over asks how much I had eaten, at this point I was about 1/3 of the way through and he tells me "Drop your for do not take another bite, that is not the gluten-free pasta". My heart fell out of my butt nearly. I am just thankful that I don't currently get GI symptoms. Just not sure how far back this is going to set me.

So yeah thats what's new in this chicky's hood. Multi unknowing glutenations. I feel like a dumdum. I don't want to eat out ever again.

I am feeling better overall but sadly my weight isn't any better which makes it hard for me to continue to stay away from gluten when it isn't making a difference seemingly right now. I must say, this is an adventure and a half! My poor hubby can't believe how hard it is to eat gluten-free. At least I found an amazing gluten-free/DF bakery in the area that makes the BEST breads. Yummy in my tummy.

Peace, love, and health to you all. I am signing off for now.

-The Glutard  :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

3. The movie theatre. Popcorn should be safe right? Guess what? NOT! Oy vey. I am dying here. At least I can bring in my own tasty popcorn that I pop at home and if they give me guff I can tell them to suck my mesocolon until they get gluten-free alternatives lol

Which movie popcorn has gluten? Corn is naturally gluten-free, and I can't imagine where gluten would come from, unless this is a cc issue.
rene83 Rookie

Which movie popcorn has gluten? Corn is naturally gluten-free, and I can't imagine where gluten would come from, unless this is a cc issue.

Krikorian. I was shocked as all get out. There shouldn't be a cc issue nor gluten but apparently it is something. The girl told me there was nothing there that was gluten-free minus sodas and water.  :wacko:  I am guessing some powder coating on the corn to keep it fresher longer? I have no freaking clue. 

I am learning so much about the way restaurants run. Found out that some restaurants that serve panna cotta have gluten in them, that should be gelatin, cream, sugar.... I am dumbfounded. The only other explanation I can think of is that the workers have no clue what they are talking about....

Lisa Mentor

In eight years, I have never experienced a Movie Theater Popcorn that containes gluten or any salts or butter salt.  Perhaps you should not make such generalizations, without documentation. :)  I am not familiar with your other claims.

Have you specifically contacted the restaurants that you have listed, to the contents of their products, or are your statements pure speculation?  It's pretty important around here to supply documentation, and we don't generally slam restaurants or products without cause.

Being diagnosed with Celiac Disease is truly a lifestyle change.  I fear, that this is a concept you have not quite accepted, yet.

Good luck. :)

rene83 Rookie

This was not a generalization of mine, this is what I was told by the concessions attendant and manager at the theatre. I was told verbatim by both that they had nothing gluten-free except beverages. The rest of my "claims" as you put them are my 100% bonafide experiences and research. 

In eight years, I have never experienced a Movie Theater Popcorn that containes gluten or any salts or butter salt.  Perhaps you should not make such generalizations, without documentation. :)  I am not familiar with your other claims.

Lisa Mentor

rene83, I would not leave my health to the knowledge to a concession attendant or movie manager.  Did you ask to read the ingredients on the oil that the popcorn is cooked in?  Or look at the ingredients in the salted butter, or butter oil? Did you see any gluten containing ingredience?

I don't mean to be bossy or insulting, but you can't depend on others for your health, especially people who's eyes cross when you say "gluten free".

I have asked my movie threater operator to see all his ingredients and he is more that happy to show me. Learning to read labels is the key to success and good health.

rene83 Rookie

rene83, I would not leave my health to the expertese to a concession attendant or movie manager.  Did you ask to read the ingredients on the oil that the popcorn is cooked in?  Or look at the ingredients in the salted butter, or butter oil? Did you see any gluten containing ingredience

I don't mean to be bossy or insulting, but you can't depend on others for your health, especially people who's eyes cross when you say "gluten free".

I have asked my movie threater operator to see all his ingredients and he is more that happy to show me. Learning to read labels is the key to success and good health.

I did not have the time to read the ingredients but I did take their word for it at the time. No need to critique my experience as being less than valid as I am merely trying to point out possible unforseen sources of gluten as I had pointed out several food items that should not have gluten that do contain it in restaurants. You can take it or leave it as I do find this in fact insulting. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I've learned to take into consideration even the most ignorant of employees opinions....BECAUSE sometimes they know things they can't directly say. Such as....yeah, it may be gluten-free ingredients but they cc the heck out of it because they touch glutenous foods without washing up...OR....they refill that container with random crap and that container doesn't mean a thing....OR....they know someone who ate it and got sick, and that person may or may not be accurate in their pronouncement, but still.

There are very few instances I don't take an employees warnings into consideration.

And I won't eat movie theater popcorn, I don't care how many labels I read. I watch those people behind the counter. Ut uh.

Lisa Mentor

What I'm trying to say to you, is that you cannot depend on other people to keep you healthy.  You need to depend on yourself. Educate yourself and choose wisely. :rolleyes:  You can do this!

rene83 Rookie

What I'm trying to say to you, is that you cannot depend on other people to keep you healthy.  You need to depend on yourself. Educate yourself and choose wisely. :rolleyes:  You can do this!

I never said I couldn't. My post is about the disbelief about how things that "should" be safe oddly are not. I called the theatre and asked which ingredients in the popcorn were not safe for a glutard as myself and it is colorings and flavoring. There were no lies or misinformation. Granted there are debates regarding the glutenous nature of flavorings and colorings but I will not be taking that chance. 

While I understand greatly the generalized ignorance of employees int eh food service industry I do read labels and question the hell out of everything. I am not an idiot despite being a neophyte to the gluten-free lifestyle.  

I am asking you nicely, since you don't know me from Adam or Eve, to not assume that I have not educated myself or that I fail to continuously educate myself. I am merely sharing my recent experiences and research with the rest of the celiac community. These are areas that I never thought in a million years would have gluten. I mean creme brulee for crying out loud! Creme brûlée!!!

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Hey there rene

I am nearly 12 months in to gluten-free now, and still find myself standing in the supermarket saying

(to no one in particular) things like 'potato chips? Why do you need gluten to make potato chips??

I haven't eaten out much, as I have found it a mine field when I CAN read the ingredients, let alone when I have to depend on staff to tell me what is safe. I do have a few other intolerances to go along with the gluten though...

Sounds like you are well on the way to getting your head round things, and learning each time. I guess we all just have to keep asking the questions.

Good luck on your next foray into the gluteny world :)

Mw

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I found out the hard way that when one is sensitive to extremely low levels of gluten cross contamination, eating out can be very challenging.  After awhile I decided that it wasn't worth the risk.  It is something that we each need to decide for ourselves and it depends on level of sensitivity, severity of symptoms, and desire.  I already enjoyed cooking and now my son is becoming a very good cook so that I don't have to do all the cooking anymore.  Garden fresh veggies are tasty.  Life is good.

Gemini Experienced

I never said I couldn't. My post is about the disbelief about how things that "should" be safe oddly are not. I called the theatre and asked which ingredients in the popcorn were not safe for a glutard as myself and it is colorings and flavoring. There were no lies or misinformation. Granted there are debates regarding the glutenous nature of flavorings and colorings but I will not be taking that chance. 

While I understand greatly the generalized ignorance of employees int eh food service industry I do read labels and question the hell out of everything. I am not an idiot despite being a neophyte to the gluten-free lifestyle.  

I am asking you nicely, since you don't know me from Adam or Eve, to not assume that I have not educated myself or that I fail to continuously educate myself. I am merely sharing my recent experiences and research with the rest of the celiac community. These are areas that I never thought in a million years would have gluten. I mean creme brulee for crying out loud! Creme brûlée!!!

rene.....Colorings and flavorings are not considered unsafe by the vast majority of sound Celiac organizations.  You do have to read labels all the time but most flavorings and colors in the US do not contain wheat.  So...the movie employees had no idea what they are talking about, which is not surprising.  I have never heard of any Celiac that I know who got sick from movie popcorn.

Ditto for Mexican food and all the other food you mentioned as being unsafe.  Again, you have to inquire at each and every restaurant that you go to but many Mexican restaurants offer gluten-free menus or options that won't make you sick.  I have never run across any creme brulee that contained wheat but nothing is impossible in this world.  The vast majority do not, which can be easily verified by the chef.

All of this has zippo to do with sensitivity either.  I am very sensitive to small amounts of cc yet I manage to eat out at certain restaurants with great success.

I am lucky, I live in an area of great knowledge about Celiac so it is easier for me.

The gluten-free diet is not hard to follow, once you get past the leaning curve.  It probably is harder, depending on where you live, for some but I find it pretty easy at this point and rarely ever take a hit anymore. I don't know how long you have been doing this but it is possible to eat out and stay well....even for the most sensitive among us.  You just can't eat out as much as the general population...which isn't such a bad thing.

psawyer Proficient

Granted there are debates regarding the glutenous nature of flavorings and colorings but I will not be taking that chance.

You are, of course, free to make you own decisions here, but most experts say not to be worried by these. Some people react to certain colorings, but that has nothing to do with gluten.

While "natural flavors" can contain gluten, they very rarely actually do. The most likely source would be barley malt, and that is a relatively expensive ingredient, so it is usually explicitly declared as "malt flavor."

If there were wheat in it, in the US (and Canada) it would be required by law to be disclosed as just that, "wheat." In Canada, barley also must be disclosed.

Open Original Shared Link on flavorings:

It would be rare to find a "natural or artificial flavoring" containing gluten (a) because hydrolyzed wheat protein cannot be hidden under the term "flavor." and (b) barley malt extract is almost always declared as "barley malt extract" or "barley malt flavoring." For this reason, most experts do not restrict natural and artificial flavorings in the gluten-free diet.

Gluten-Free Diet - A Comprehensive Resource Guide, published 2008, page 46

Note: As of August, 2012, Canada requires ALL gluten sources to be explicitly disclosed. Some foods packaged before August 4 may still be in stores.

cap6 Enthusiast

Movie popcorn - gluten free.  Healthy to eat - probably no.  Cross contaminated - pretty doubtful.  Anything is possible but I think that we need to use our own good common sense here too and be careful of general blanket statements.   If in doubt about a product then contact the main company.   I figure that if I don't have time to read the ingredients or there are too many for me to decipher then I don't have the time to eat it. 

Lisa Mentor

Movie popcorn - gluten free.  Healthy to eat - probably no.  Cross contaminated - pretty doubtful.  Anything is possible but I think that we need to use our own good common sense here too and be careful of general blanket statements.   If in doubt about a product then contact the main company.   I figure that if I don't have time to read the ingredients or there are too many for me to decipher then I don't have the time to eat it. 

:) Well said. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
mbrookes Community Regular

Rene83, I really enjoyed you beginning post. Ignore some of the carpers. They seem to be multiplying. I have had most of the experiences you cited.

Someone pointed out that she was lucky to live in an area that was gluten-knowledgeable. Well, I live in Mississippi. Now, I love it here and would not want to live anywhere else, but if the end of the world comes, come on down. It will take several years to get here.

rene83 Rookie

Thank you brooks. I don't know why people seem to be having such an issue about my experiences that I listed here. I thought this place would be a good forum for support but I guess not. ::shrugs::. 

Gemini Experienced

You know what is incredibly annoying?  People who do not get the answers that they want to hear and then accuse this forum of not being supportive.  All of us"carpers" have given you correct information....sorry if you choose not to believe it from people who have been gluten free much longer than the OP.  She made sweeping, broad statements about Mexican food and movie popcorn that is not correct.  Sure, there is Mexican food that is not gluten free but there are many, many places where it is.  Ditto for movie popcorn.  You can choose to believe what you posted but when you come on here, you will get the most up to date information on gluten free that is out there.

Sorry to the folks that live in places where gluten free is like a foreign language.  Hopefully that will change in the future and you can enjoy the same ease of eating out and buying food that some of us enjoy.  I realize it can be really hard but being educated on the correct information will go a long way in avoiding mistakes that will make you sick.

rene83 Rookie

You know what is incredibly annoying?  People who do not get the answers that they want to hear and then accuse this forum of not being supportive.  All of us"carpers" have given you correct information....sorry if you choose not to believe it from people who have been gluten free much longer than the OP.  She made sweeping, broad statements about Mexican food and movie popcorn that is not correct.  Sure, there is Mexican food that is not gluten free but there are many, many places where it is.  Ditto for movie popcorn.  You can choose to believe what you posted but when you come on here, you will get the most up to date information on gluten free that is out there.

Sorry to the folks that live in places where gluten free is like a foreign language.  Hopefully that will change in the future and you can enjoy the same ease of eating out and buying food that some of us enjoy.  I realize it can be really hard but being educated on the correct information will go a long way in avoiding mistakes that will make you sick.

I swear that some of you people are as dense as paleo bread. I did not make a generalized false statement. I merely stated my experiences. I CALLED every mexican restaurant in a 60 mile radius of me where each and every one CONFIRMED that their sauces were not gluten free. I also confirmed with the theatre manager that their popcorn is not gluten free. What do you not understand about this is stuff I researched? I was not searching for answers to jack nada, merely venting about how soooo many restaurants put gluten in s$#& that they shouldn't. THAT"S IT. But people like you want to tell me that I am wrong. Then please, come out to my home and do the research I have done then tell me I am wrong. I am not sure if the "carpers" don't realize, but I am not an idiot as I am being treated on here and despite being a celiac neophyte I have enough sense to ask to see ingredient lists and talk to the chefs and escalate higher if I have to. I was merely sharing my experiences in my specific geographic location. If you don't like it you do not need to comment and put down MY EXPERIENCES and be insulting.

So I am asking, please before you assume I am some dumb ass just taking everyone's word everywhere I go, think again. It's hella rude.

kareng Grand Master

When you posted about the movie popcorn I thought - just some clueless people telling her that as I have never heard of any movie popcorn having gluten.  Some of us tried to explain that to you.

Then you mentioned some restaurants putting gluten in dishes that wouldn't normally have it.  I, mistakenly,  took that to mean they were adding flour to the food.  I thought - Wow.  That's nuts!

But then you clarified that you were talking about colors or flavorings.  It was explained that that does not mean there is gluten in a food. 

This sort of mis-information (that colors/flavors have gluten), is confusing, especially to people who are new to Celiac.

rene83 Rookie

When you posted about the movie popcorn I thought - just some clueless people telling her that as I have never heard of any movie popcorn having gluten.  Some of us tried to explain that to you.

Then you mentioned some restaurants putting gluten in dishes that wouldn't normally have it.  I, mistakenly,  took that to mean they were adding flour to the food.  I thought - Wow.  That's nuts!

But then you clarified that you were talking about colors or flavorings.  It was explained that that does not mean there is gluten in a food. 

This sort of mis-information (that colors/flavors have gluten), is confusing, especially to people who are new to Celiac.

I agree completely, but I am not going to take the chance. My whole point of this post was to show how many places add gluten to crap that shouldn't have it and how I have realized how much more aware I need to be.  :)  Just because a food "should" be safe I have found int he real world it really isn't. Super frustrating too but I am thankful I know how to cook lol

kareng Grand Master

I agree completely, but I am not going to take the chance. My whole point of this post was to show how many places add gluten to crap that shouldn't have it and how I have realized how much more aware I need to be.  :)  Just because a food "should" be safe I have found int he real world it really isn't. Super frustrating too but I am thankful I know how to cook lol

The whole point of my post is that what you were calling gluten (colors and flavors), doesn't sound like it was gluten.

rene83 Rookie

The whole point of my post is that what you were calling gluten (colors and flavors), doesn't sound like it was gluten.

for the theater popcorn. The rest I spoke with cooks etc, for instance mexican restaurants: confirmed they thicken all of their sauces with flour, yard house thickens the creme brulee with flour, you see? At least in my area they use flour to thicken anything that needs to be reduced or have a certain texture as a cost saving measure. 

notme Experienced

lolz - rene, you said it in your topic title - EATING OUT IS HARD!!!!  and it is.  you'll get used to what you need to look out for.  the guy who makes your popcorn might have made a hot-dog on a wheat roll right before he served your popcorn, or have gotten crumbs where they shouldn't be - 'normal' people <haha and i use that term loosely) don't think of breadcrumbs as being unsanitary, unclean, or unusual.  so what, i got a breadcrumb on your popcorn, it's not gonna kill you.  nope it won't - but it'll make you sick and people don't understand that.  same thing for flour (in sauces, etc) my very good friend made me some stuffed grape leaves when i was first diagnosed - what's in them?  grape leaves, rice, garlic, etc, etc, every ingredient i could eat safely.  i opened up the container and there was some sauce on them so i called her.  what's in the sauce?  lemon, chicken broth, garlic.... ummmmmm.....  i said:  any flour?  oh yeah, she says, BUT IT'S ONLY A LITTLE BIT SO YOU SHOULD BE OK 

smh!!!   :blink:

you'll get used to keeping yourself safe.  at first it seems like a mine field but it gets better.  you'll know where you can eat safely and where you can't - i had to re-tune my "bells and whistles"  lolz 

Archived