• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
bmorecricket

Tests For Casein Intolerance

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if it's possible for a casein intolerance to cause elevated levels of antibodies in a celiac patient? I'm interested because I've been on a very strict gluten free diet for several years, but my antibodies are extremely high, and I'm trying to pin down the culprit.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I don't think that casein can cause elevated levels of tTG. I believe that lactose intolerance is often a result of high tTG because  the tTG damages the villi where lactase is made. I know that casein intolerance is thought to damage villi too, but I'm not sure how...

I'm not medically trained or well versed in this area though. I'm interested in what others have to say too.  :)

lolz, nicole, i just said the same thing on her other post :)   

maybe you are getting cc'd by something that you added in with the casein?  if you're sick from eating it, maybe you're casein/lactose intolerant.  or your gut is just not healed enough to handle it?

lolz, nicole, i just said the same thing on her other post :)   

Great minds think alike. ;)  LOL

If you are intolerant to anything in milk it is lactose. It is more likely for you to be allergic to casein as it is a protein. Orit could be whey as it is also a protein. My daughter had an anaphylactic milk allergy and the allergist told us this. It's something to do with the protein chain that causes an allergic reaction with milk. Lactose intolerance causes stomach issues, caesin a dn whey allergy can cause stomach skin and respiratory issues that can be mild.

Caesin is a protein just like gluten so it is possible your body is having a similar reaction. I'd cut out all dairy and ask for the milk skin prick test you don't need to be drinking milk for it. That way you can find out if it is a milk allergy

Ads by Google: