This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nightmares - Glutened In My Dreams!

clafran

clafran Rookie

This isn't exactly a sleep problem, but it's been occurring more frequently, at least in the last 6 months since I've gone gluten-free.  I have recurring nightmares of intentionally eating something with gluten, or eating something that I find out just after eating it that has gluten.

Anybody else in this same boat?  Yes, there are a few other stressors in my life, but I find it odd that I'm dreaming about gluten.

Last night, I was dreaming that I was eating French fries (from McDonalds -- a no-no IRL, obviously) when I grabbed one that was attached to a 'chicken' nugget.  I ate it, but then tried to spit it out and/or make myself vomit.

There have been at least 2 other dreams of this nature.  Is this normal?  Will it stop?

Thanks!

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Yes, it is common. I have been gluten-free for over two years and I just had a dream about sneaking some pancakes the other night. Last week I dreamed I was asking my Mom's advice about being gluten-free. (Mom had celiac) In my dream she didn't want to talk about it and I was hurt. I think THAT one stems from the guilt I still feel for thinking she was a hypochondriac for all those years before she was diagnosed.

Food and eating are a big part of anyone's life so I don't think it's odd that we should dream about food or our diets. I just laugh it off.

• 4 weeks later...
LauraB0927 Apprentice

Oh I've had those dreams....I had a terrible nightmare where I picked up a big slice of pizza and shoved it in my mouth....then I "remembered" that I had Celiac and I began to cry and panic...

I explained to my friend the next day that most people would consider a dream about eating pizza a very good one - its funny to me that its probably our worst nightmare!

• 4 weeks later...
LauraTX Rising Star

I am so glad I am not the only person who has dreams like this, I was about to start a thread but I thought I would search first.  Once a month or so its like, I sit down at a restaurant and eat a piece of bread/slice of cake and then I realize I shouldn't have eaten that and hysteria erupts.  I also dream that I walk through the bakery in the grocery store and go on a rampage stuffing my face with all that delicious looking bread.  I was a big bread lover before Celiac.  But in real life I am totally fine with the tradeout- no gluten/better health.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I am so glad I am not the only person who has dreams like this, I was about to start a thread but I thought I would search first.  Once a month or so its like, I sit down at a restaurant and eat a piece of bread/slice of cake and then I realize I shouldn't have eaten that and hysteria erupts.  I also dream that I walk through the bakery in the grocery store and go on a rampage stuffing my face with all that delicious looking bread.  I was a big bread lover before Celiac.  But in real life I am totally fine with the tradeout- no gluten/better health.

I still have those nightmares, but not as often. Mine usually revolve around the grill, a party and big fluffy buns, and I stick a nice burger on a bun by mistake.

CallieNYC Newbie

I'm so glad that i'm not the only one who has these nightmares. The following week, after the dream, I am very paranoid about the food that I eat. Mine usually have to deal with accidentally eating a cracker or cookie and "realizing" I have celiac and then panicking!

• 2 weeks later...
Salax Contributor

Yup, I have had dreams like that as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pugmug Newbie

I've had these dreams too!

My dream will be that I'm talking to someone, engaged in a pretty important conversation, and then BAM -- I realize I'm eating -- I'm half way through a slice of pizza or bread or something and freak out. Also used to have the exact same dream but about cigarettes when I quit smoking. Stopped for me after 6 months or so.

• 3 weeks later...
michaelyejo Newbie

This isn't exactly a sleep problem, but it's been occurring more frequently, at least in the last 6 months since I've gone gluten-free.  I have recurring nightmares of intentionally eating something with gluten, or eating something that I find out just after eating it that has gluten.

Anybody else in this same boat?  Yes, there are a few other stressors in my life, but I find it odd that I'm dreaming about gluten.

Last night, I was dreaming that I was eating French fries (from McDonalds -- a no-no IRL, obviously) when I grabbed one that was attached to a 'chicken' nugget.  I ate it, but then tried to spit it out and/or make myself vomit.

There have been at least 2 other dreams of this nature.  Is this normal?  Will it stop?

Thanks!

Cathy

Ohh my goodness. Ive had some bad dreams. I was diagnosed 11 years from now when I was 10. Some nights I felt like I would sleep walk into the kitchen and grab a cupcake off the counter or make a wonder bread sandwich and went back to bed. Sometimes I would wakeup right away and ball my eyes out because I am scared how much pain I am going to be in or I would wakeup in the morning thinking about how it felt so real. I remember the taste. 

• 4 months later...
moosemalibu Collaborator

I wanted to report that I had a pretty vivid dream of being glutened by eating a piece of wheat bread on a sandwich. My boyfriend brought the bag camping so I assumed it was gluten free and then after I ate it I panicked - read the package - and sure enough - wheat bread. I was so hysterical in the dream. It was crazy. I woke up and almost felt it was real. Thank goodness it was just a dream.

Archived